Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a job before you go...

Getting a job before you go...

Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice
Default Getting a job before you go...

Hi,

I'm applying for a family sponsored 176. I'm a Marketing Manager and I was wondering what the chances would be of securing a job before we get there?

We'll be heading for Melbourne and once I have my visa I was planning on emailing my CV to all the recruitment agencies. However, I was wondering if anyone would take me "serious" a) before I have a visa and b) before I'm in the country.

Do many people manage to secure work before visa grant / arrival in country?

Thanks for any advice.

Colin
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job before you go...

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Hi,

I'm applying for a family sponsored 176. I'm a Marketing Manager and I was wondering what the chances would be of securing a job before we get there?

We'll be heading for Melbourne and once I have my visa I was planning on emailing my CV to all the recruitment agencies. However, I was wondering if anyone would take me "serious" a) before I have a visa and b) before I'm in the country.

Thanks for any advice.

Colin
Hi!! I am a teacher living and working in SE Melbourne. I came out on a 137 stni visa and needed to prove employability before being grnted visa. This led to 2 job offers from numerous applications. Most people weren't willling to entertain even giving me an interview, knowing my visa status. Hubby, who works for government in the Dept of Justice, got a job offer, but the visa didn't come through in time. Upside is, once we had the visa, the offers of work were numerous! I was worried about not getting work, but it was the opposite. Let me know if you need any more specific advice!!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I think it depends what line of work you are in, as I have seen quite a few people on here managing to set up jobs before getting the visa.

Our own experience is that no one wants to know until you have the visa, OH has contacted quite a few people and apart from one, none have even replied.

Sam
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Thank you both for your replies.

Bexie - great to hear it's working out for you both over there. Where in SE Melbourne are you? We're looking at NE (Eltham, Diamond Creek, Doreen), expecting to get a job in CBD so want to be near (ish) to the train route.

Good to know once we have a visa I can start pushing ahead on this front. Hopefully, it will allow me to hit the ground running.

Colin
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your replies.

Bexie - great to hear it's working out for you both over there. Where in SE Melbourne are you? We're looking at NE (Eltham, Diamond Creek, Doreen), expecting to get a job in CBD so want to be near (ish) to the train route.

Good to know once we have a visa I can start pushing ahead on this front. Hopefully, it will allow me to hit the ground running.

Colin
We are in patterson lakes...hubby also in CBD...we looked at NE and west but I love the water so ... Commuting will be the biggest factor when we buy in 4 months so I think we will stay in SE suburbs? Good luck and let us know how u get on...wouldn't change this move.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Bexie,

Oh, we can't wait to get out there. My Dad lives up in the NE area which is why we're heading that way.

We came out there in 97 and 98 and absolutely fell in love with the place. We've been talking on and off about "giving it a go" ever since. Finally, last year we decided to take the plunge. We now have two young boys aged 4 and 2 so think it's a good time to do it as it won't disrupt their lives too much. Hoping to get there before the eldest has to start school.

Any tips you can offer from shipping, approach to finding jobs, renting with 2 dogs (very well behaved), etc. would be great.

Colin
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:16 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

We want to land with job offers if at all possible, so we're just in the process of getting OH's CV up to date.... In fact writing one, because he just never has!

Mine's all there and ready to go, but we need to get the house on the market and sold ASAP.
As we're off to India next week, nothing is going to be happening until we get back!!!

Ali x
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:03 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks for any advice.

Colin
We do not qualify for a skilled visa so my husband sent out his CV to as many companies as we could find in the Yellow Pages and he has now had two job offers with sponsorship, one of which we shall be going on (fingers crossed) so i would say that it is quite possible as long as there are jobs available.
Good luck with it all
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Loobyloo,

I may start putting myself about before we get the visa then
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Wade Wrench is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo!
We do not qualify for a skilled visa so my husband sent out his CV to as many companies as we could find in the Yellow Pages and he has now had two job offers with sponsorship, one of which we shall be going on (fingers crossed) so i would say that it is quite possible as long as there are jobs available.
Good luck with it all
So it looks like going directly to companies is a viable method to getting a job. I have PR and so far have been applying through seek.com and various agencies and still haven't been able to find a job while overseas.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:43 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wade Wrench
So it looks like going directly to companies is a viable method to getting a job. I have PR and so far have been applying through seek.com and various agencies and still haven't been able to find a job while overseas.
Your much better off being here, recruitment is all about NOW, not tomorrow or a few weeks/months time.
You'll get a much better response if your in the place you want to work and pick up the phone and ring in a speak to someone in an agency or company.

Sitting on the other side of the planet having PR (whilst being better than not having it) still puts you behind the candidate sitting 10KM down the road able to be at an interview tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Colin - the best piece of advice I can give you is to get on the phone.

Send an email CV by all means but follow it up with a phone call. I did this and as a result organised 3 interviews from the UK for when I arrived in Melbourne. 5am (UK time) is a good time to call Oz businesses so set your alarm clock now.

Buzzy
Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo!
Good luck with it all
LoobyLoo, This sounds interesting, I think I'm heading down this route with another company at the minute but it's taking a while. I do qualify for the 175 skilled independant but this may not come for another 10 months so was thinking of going down the business sponsored route to bridge the Visa gap.

Could I please ask what kind of covering letter he sent with his requests and how was his CV formatted. Was it just the usual british style CV or did he get advice on changing it for the Australian market.

Good luck by the way.

James & Michelle
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:27 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

Originally Posted by saxtonj
LoobyLoo, This sounds interesting, I think I'm heading down this route with another company at the minute but it's taking a while. I do qualify for the 175 skilled independant but this may not come for another 10 months so was thinking of going down the business sponsored route to bridge the Visa gap.

Could I please ask what kind of covering letter he sent with his requests and how was his CV formatted. Was it just the usual british style CV or did he get advice on changing it for the Australian market.

Good luck by the way.

James & Michelle
He just sent a letter explaining that he and his family would like to emmigrate to Oz in (at that time) 18 months. He would be needing sponsorship from a company to enter and would be visiting later in the year so would be available to meet up with if required. He sent a basic english CV.
We sent it via email to approx 60 companies (although he wasnt sure if they all did what he does) and within 12 hours we had had 5 responses, in all about 8 companies were interested but most were on the opposite side to Oz we wanted to go. We then went out on reccie and he went to two brief interviews and was offered both. Both companies were quite desperate for staff and had been advertising in Oz for some time with no luck.

You just gotta have the cheek to ask
(although saying that we havent got our visa yet so fingers crossed itworked lol)