Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting the jewels to Oz!

Getting the jewels to Oz!

Old Aug 24th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting the jewels to Oz!

Our grand plan when we emmigrate is when the stuff goes on the container we then take 6 weeks travelling down to OZ either by exploring USA or Dubai and Singapore holidays. However, we aren't sure what to do with our valuables as we don't fancy lugging all our jewellery around with us and I'm not sure whether we could trust a container. We didn't want to leave it here at parents (they'd probably pawn it, arf!) as it would mean coming back to get it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation, if so what did you do?
Cheers
Old Aug 24th 2008, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting the jewels to Oz!

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Our grand plan when we emmigrate is when the stuff goes on the container we then take 6 weeks travelling down to OZ either by exploring USA or Dubai and Singapore holidays. However, we aren't sure what to do with our valuables as we don't fancy lugging all our jewellery around with us and I'm not sure whether we could trust a container. We didn't want to leave it here at parents (they'd probably pawn it, arf!) as it would mean coming back to get it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation, if so what did you do?
Cheers
The safest place is in your hand luggage. A bit of a pain, but really the best option if you want to keep an eye on it. I don't think you're actually supposed to pack in your container - don't think transit insurance covers jewellery. Maybe you can leave in safety deposit box at your holiday destination so you don't have to lug it around with you or leave in hotel.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:17 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

We were told by our shipment people to take anything of vaule, jewellery wise with your in hand luggage. They will not cover insurance for it nor is it really safe to put it in a container. I wore my really expensive items at all times, as we went to the USA first before coming to Oz. I know it can be a pain in the butt, but its better to be safe than sorry.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We took ours in our hand luggage, not that we have much anyway
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You won't see them again if consigned to a container.

Remember that the box is sealed in the UK but opened by AQIS and repacked. We had quite a few small items that we are absolutely sure were packed and can no longer account for - our insurance claim didn't include them because it's only long after settling in that we missed them.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I carried mine in my hand luggage. No way was it going in the container and didn't want it in the cargo hold. We had a four day stopover in Singapore and I put the box in the hotel safe. A bit of a pain but at least you know where it is.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Carried it with us

2 weeks in Italy/France
3 weeks Asia (Dubai/Singapore/KL)

Definitely do not trust the container.

Get assessed with digital image before leaving. Get insurance as soon as you arrive - travel was limited and we carried the risk.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that guys, very helpful. No we don't have too much either but a lot of it is very sentimental to us so we would be so sad if it went. You've convinced me on the shipment front though, I hadn't really thought through the packing/unpacking thing.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Thanks for that guys, very helpful. No we don't have too much either but a lot of it is very sentimental to us so we would be so sad if it went. You've convinced me on the shipment front though, I hadn't really thought through the packing/unpacking thing.
I know others posters have mentioned insurance but just wanted to make sure your insurance co knows you are on one-way - I'm sure you have this covered.
Friends of ours had their hotel room broken into shortly after arrival needless to say everything of any value was taken - jewellery, kids playstations,games etc - insurance wouldn't pay out (they tried everything - said living at parents in uk etc) lost about $5000 worth.
Good luck with your move