Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting internet and wireless routers

Getting internet and wireless routers

Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Getting internet and wireless routers

When you get internet, do wireless routers come as standard. Just wondering if I should bring mine with me or give it away.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:27 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting internet and wireless routers

Originally Posted by plantpot
When you get internet, do wireless routers come as standard. Just wondering if I should bring mine with me or give it away.
Bring it with you... always handy to have a spare...
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DrWho
Bring it with you... always handy to have a spare...
But do I need it?
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:41 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

But do I need it?
You don't necessarily get given a new one just for signing up... you might be offered one at a discounted price, but no need to pay for another one if you don't want to...
Old Oct 11th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrWho
You don't necessarily get given a new one just for signing up... you might be offered one at a discounted price, but no need to pay for another one if you don't want to...
Ah ok ...TA...

Not standard here is all but in other places they come as standard now in a small switch thingy...

P x
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Like in the UK, telco's often do BYO, so you can buy/bring your own.
Some provide routers 'free', but I suspect these are the big companies that charge more anyway (eg bigpond). Check out http://whirlpool.net.au/

If you look around for the best deal, you will probably want BYO.

Price of routers isn't so bad here, maybe $120. I got a D-Link ADSL2 w/less modem router for $50 on gumtree.

Also for me, I got hooked up to ADSL2 here, so my old router would have been no good. I used this at home after our stuff went in the container so did not bring it in the end as it would have been in the luggage. If you ship it before in a container and have the room, I would bring it.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

But do I need it?
Be aware that lots of providers won't provide support to a router they didn't provide in the first place. Quite a few providers do that in the UK too. Therefore if you have technical problems setting up you may not be able to get support from your provider.