Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GETTING IMPORT LICENCE FOR DOG

GETTING IMPORT LICENCE FOR DOG

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future
Default GETTING IMPORT LICENCE FOR DOG

Sorry its another one of these threads.
My question is has anyone faxed over to oz for their import licence? its just with the waiting list to get the dog into perth quarantine time is of the essence and i dont facy waiting 2 months for it to come back.
Im also not too keen faxing our credit card details over can you phone through the payment and then fax your application? And do they post your licence or fax it back to you?
cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future
Default Re: GETTING IMPORT LICENCE FOR DOG

Hi,
I faxed the requst for import licence together with my card details with no problems, however I did use a secure outward fax line to do this. The licence took about 3 weeks to be faxed back and payment came out about the same time. If you phone the import agency they may be able to take your details over the phone for payment. If you post your request it can take up to 2 months which is why they give the option of faxing as it's quicker.
Once you get your licene back you only need to phone Byford quarantine station in Perth to book a date for your dog to start quarantine, making sure you give them your import licence number. There is currently a 3 month wait for places (I have just booked) for dogs, cats are about 2 months.

Hope this helps

Pam
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sonja has a spectacular aura aboutSonja has a spectacular aura aboutSonja has a spectacular aura about

Pam

Your up to date info is very handy.

I have tonight printed of the permits forms to complete and fax over to Oz for our 2 Labs. We got our visa's last week and hope to be on our way to Perth in October. I was worried that we may be delayed, as I thought there mabe a 5-6 month waiting list for the quarantine, so as long as our time scale works the same as yours we should be able to meet our plans.

We would be interested to keep up to date with your pet transport situation for any hints and tips you may be able to offer, re the next steps etc.

What dogs do you have?

Thanks
Sonja
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sonja has a spectacular aura aboutSonja has a spectacular aura aboutSonja has a spectacular aura about

Sorry Pam one more question. Who are you using to export and what have you been quoted £ ? We have had a few quotes from about £ 2,700 -£4,000 for both dogs. Ta Sonja
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:00 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sonja,

I faxed my import permit request from my computer and they faxed me back the import permit two weeks later to a "virtual" fax number that arrives as an email (because I don't actually own a fax machine).

I then phoned Byford, gave them the import permit number (at the top of the first page of the import permit), and booked a place. [In my case it was for a cat not a dog, but that makes no difference to the process.]

One thing though: when you fill in the form to get the import permit, you need to provide an address in Australia. I asked a friend from here if I could use their address. Nearer the time, when you have booked accommodation in Oz or when you've arrived in Oz, you just phone Byford again and tell them your real address.

Gina
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Just faxed it all off from the post office. I will phone them tomorrow and get the ref number, as i phoned them last night they said this would be ok!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Hi sonja,

I will pm you about pet travel services....I have a lab and a grumpy moggie and have been quoted from £2100.00 - £2700.00 just for transportation as I am applying for export license and arranging blood tests etc with my own vet.

I'm glad Gina mentioned the address in Oz....I forgot! You can't use a post office box but as Gina said if you can give someones address you can then contact Byford when you arrive and give them your new one.....

I am currently sending my vet the export requirements for both my animals and looking into transporters.....there are loads out there and I seem to be finding more every week!! Anyway got a few more to contact before I nake final decision! I will keep you updated on my progress (pros and cons) if you like!

Pam x
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:51 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Dont mean to Hijack the thread or nything but, i was loking into doing the DIY export for our Lab a while back and was told not to bother as the airlines will only deal with registered companies and you cant arrange it yourself, this is why i didnt bother sourcing the export Licence and decided to just let the Export company do it all rather than me a bit and them the rest, thought it would just be the same cost. Is this the case??? We aint actually got deffinate dates to move yet and would if possible look back into the DIY side again. Any help would be much appreciated

Leeanne

Originally Posted by pam0512
Hi sonja,

I will pm you about pet travel services....I have a lab and a grumpy moggie and have been quoted from £2100.00 - £2700.00 just for transportation as I am applying for export license and arranging blood tests etc with my own vet.

I'm glad Gina mentioned the address in Oz....I forgot! You can't use a post office box but as Gina said if you can give someones address you can then contact Byford when you arrive and give them your new one.....

I am currently sending my vet the export requirements for both my animals and looking into transporters.....there are loads out there and I seem to be finding more every week!! Anyway got a few more to contact before I nake final decision! I will keep you updated on my progress (pros and cons) if you like!

Pam x
Old Jun 4th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
Just faxed it all off from the post office. I will phone them tomorrow and get the ref number, as i phoned them last night they said this would be ok!
Thanks for the tip. Had not thought of that.
Sonja
Old Jun 4th 2007, 6:29 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Yes?

Originally Posted by Sonja
Leeanne
Old Jun 4th 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Dont mean to Hijack the thread or nything but, i was loking into doing the DIY export for our Lab a while back and was told not to bother as the airlines will only deal with registered companies and you cant arrange it yourself, this is why i didnt bother sourcing the export Licence and decided to just let the Export company do it all rather than me a bit and them the rest, thought it would just be the same cost. Is this the case??? We aint actually got deffinate dates to move yet and would if possible look back into the DIY side again. Any help would be much appreciated

Leeanne
Leeanne
It would seem that most people prefer to use a shipper for their animals as well as it being the airline's choice also. Even if you do use a shipper it would seem common for you to have to apply for the import permit in the first place, prior to a company taking you on - or so we have found.
I will keep the site updated as we go, as our details may help others. We have found this more of a mine field than getting the the visas. Sonja
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
I totally agree with you Sonja, getting pets to Aus is a lot more complex than the visa application!!!
To answer your question Leanne, I got prices for the companies doing everything and then only the transportation.....One company wanted £250.00 just to get export license!!! I only paid £140.00 for both pets so a slight discrepancy there! Also they don't tend to do the blood tests as these need to be done a maximum of 28 days before departure......they wanted an awfully large amount of money to do this...then add transport costs and possible boarding etc and the costs soar! To be honest when I spoke to the lady from DEFRA in Wales, she asked me why I wasn't organising the whole trip for my pets myself! It can be done but having contacted the airlines I think they give discount to the carriers as the cost for transport alone was similar to the carriers price....and they provide the containers and vetinary sealing of the crate.
Anyway, my compromise is to do most of the work myself and then let the pet carriers complete it....
Pam
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Sortd the the import license out faxed over everything and then phoned them with payment this morning £110 and they will send out in post to us within 10 working days.
We are using a company called lady hey they have quoted us £1500 for a westie and thats going from spain via uk to perth.
And yes your right our visa is easier than the dog, over in spain they havnt a clue what they are doing we have done everything ourselves even told them to send blood tests for his rabies to england to make sure it was all in english for aqis!
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ya

Bit of an on going saga between us all here.

I Faxed over permit request two days ago with credit card details and called this am to try and obtain the permit numbers.

I was told in no uncertain terms it takes ten days to raise a permit, so no number available. Was it a ref number they were going to give you, or the permit number. Can you reserve spaces at your chosen Qtn station with justa ref number ?
Sonja
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Sortd the the import license out faxed over everything and then phoned them with payment this morning £110 and they will send out in post to us within 10 working days.
We are using a company called lady hey they have quoted us £1500 for a westie and thats going from spain via uk to perth.
And yes your right our visa is easier than the dog, over in spain they havnt a clue what they are doing we have done everything ourselves even told them to send blood tests for his rabies to england to make sure it was all in english for aqis!
Me again.

Sorry, just re read your mail and answered my own question. You only received your ref number, and are waiting on your permit number. This is all driving me MAD, I say Mad!!

Sonja

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.