Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting in to a good Queensland Independent School??

Getting in to a good Queensland Independent School??

Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:25 am
Just Joined

wadhamsfamily is on a distinguished road
Question Getting in to a good Queensland Independent School??

Hi, we're in the process of researching Independent Oz schools for our November 9th migration to Gold/Sunshine Coast? Generally my 9 year old's class didn't achieve highly last year in Math due to a high turnover of teaching staff and his report reflects this. Achieving 'Working Towards' most of his math targets as opposed to 'Achieved' or 'Exceeded', although I would question the accuracy of some of the assessments? His English assessment was better - although not great, and all other areas he at least 'Achieved' and occassionally 'Exceeded'. On a personal level his report is great - no behavioral issues or anything like that. I know most Independent schools state that children aren't selected based on academic ability - but is this really the case? Does anyone know how kids from UK State schools generally compare to kids in Oz Independents? and how much emphasis is placed on academic achievement? Thanks a lot.