Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting a full oz driving lisence

getting a full oz driving lisence

Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:54 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default getting a full oz driving lisence

I know there have been a few posts regarding whether people should get their license before or after getting to oz.

There have also been responses about how long you have to have held your full license in order to change it to a oz license.

Even though the ACT sites say you have to have had your license for three years to change your full uk license to a full oz license, they responded to my email and stated the following.

To get a full ACT oz license it has to have been held for three years. However, provided one has a full uk license you can get a provisional oz licence without taking the tests etc for the period that would make up the three year requirement. For example, you get there and your full UK license has been valid for one year and the requirement to hold the license is three years in order to change it to an oz full license, they will issue you with a provisional license for two years and then you are eligible to get a full oz license after that period (not really hell on earth). Or if you have had the full UK license for two years, you would only be required to have an oz provisional license for one year. Hope this makes sense and hope this helps in you making your decision about whether to get your drivers licence here or in oz.

I presume this rule will be replicated across the country, but with different period of provisional
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:22 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: getting a full oz driving lisence

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I know there have been a few posts regarding whether people should get their license before or after getting to oz.

There have also been responses about how long you have to have held your full license in order to change it to a oz license.

Even though the ACT sites say you have to have had your license for three years to change your full uk license to a full oz license, they responded to my email and stated the following.

To get a full ACT oz license it has to have been held for three years. However, provided one has a full uk license you can get a provisional oz licence without taking the tests etc for the period that would make up the three year requirement. For example, you get there and your full UK license has been valid for one year and the requirement to hold the license is three years in order to change it to an oz full license, they will issue you with a provisional license for two years and then you are eligible to get a full oz license after that period (not really hell on earth). Or if you have had the full UK license for two years, you would only be required to have an oz provisional license for one year. Hope this makes sense and hope this helps in you making your decision about whether to get your drivers licence here or in oz.

I presume this rule will be replicated across the country, but with different period of provisional
Hi

I would think it highly unlikely that you can obtain an Australian driving licence in UK before activating your visa in Australia?

......... but maybe I'm wrong?

Jim
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

dani is an unknown quantity at this point

PR's Uk license is valid for 3 months from arrival.

Dani
Old Apr 12th 2006, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Chris and Anna is an unknown quantity at this point

No more driving tests now either! Just turn up and get your license!
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:00 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

NSW is similar if not the same. You go on to P plates. However , remember, if a job states you need a full lisence....then thats what you need and P plates wont do ...so no job.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:06 am
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Chris and Anna
What do you mean no more driving tests?

I thought you had to take your test in Oz even if you had been driving in the UK for 20 years.

Vics x
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:10 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

are you talking about one specific state?
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimmy Cliff

I thought you had to take your test in Oz even if you had been driving in the UK for 20 years.

Vics x
You can change your UK licence for an Australian one if you do it within 3 months of arriving, so no need for a test
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jimmy Cliff

Vics x
In NSW, you don't need a test. I presume its the same for most states?

hey - you're from Bedfordshire! Same as us! Moved here about a year ago (Sydney) and loving it xx
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:18 am

hey - you're from Bedfordshire! Same as us! Moved here about a year ago (Sydney) and loving it xx
No you need to take a test, practical and therory, in Tasmania.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by possoms
No you need to take a test, practical and therory, in Tasmania.
Good old Tassie!

Nothing at all in NSW - no theory, no test, nothing
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:21 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

We had to do a theory test (NSW) no later than a year after arriving on our PR. Don't you have to do that now? This was about 5 years ago though.

i';ve just had to do a kiwi one and it was so funny. They give you scratchcards (multiple choice) and the lady gave me a 'green tiddlywink' to scratch the answers off with! Backwards or what?
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:41 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Queensland needs a theory test but no practical doesnt it?
I had a go at the online test on the australian AA site and got most of them wrong on the first go not used to these unmarked crossroad thingies
Old Apr 12th 2006, 9:57 am

Good old Tassie!

Nothing at all in NSW - no theory, no test, nothing
LOL I know i'm bricking myself over it, keep trying to drive like I was taught years ago but its so hard to break bad habits.

Old Apr 12th 2006, 6:45 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Jim

sorry I meant when you get there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.