Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting down us all down now!!!!

Getting down us all down now!!!!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Getting down us all down now!!!!

Does anyone out there feel like just packing it all in!!!!!!!!
We thought we had everything sorted, we fly 6th May and was really looking forward to it, now it appears that our survey came back with evidence of damp apparently, don't no where exactly? Never had any problems at all.
Also apparently when we got our extension built apart from giving the council huge amounts of money to carry out searches etc, we also should have written to the the original builders of the house (35 years ago) and asked them as well, it is on the deeds we believe

Now to top it all we have to sell a car with only 2900 miles on the clock for approx £1500 cheaper than it is worth, we then have to pay Fords the extra money we owe, thanks for all this, and also we have shippers booked for a week on Tuesday and there seems to be a never ending amount of things to do.
I just feel like saying is it worth it,

Well is it??????

Sorry for the moan, but a trouble shared and all that
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting down us all down now!!!!

Originally Posted by Dicko
We thought we had everything sorted, we fly 6th May and was really looking forward to it, now it appears that our survey came back with evidence of damp apparently, don't no where exactly? Never had any problems at all.
Also apparently when we got our extension built apart from giving the council huge amounts of money to carry out searches etc, we also should have written to the the original builders of the house (35 years ago) and asked them as well, it is on the deeds we believe

Now to top it all we have to sell a car with only 2900 miles on the clock for approx £1500 cheaper than it is worth, we then have to pay Fords the extra money we owe, thanks for all this, and also we have shippers booked for a week on Tuesday and there seems to be a never ending amount of things to do.

Well is it??????

oh god you and me both mate!!!! my hubbie is on his second bottle of wine - we really down at the moment!

one failed tra behind us and we getting nowhere fast and feel totally disillusioned and dismayed and everything beginning with dis really!!!!

had to sell my car last week to cover agents fees because our previous agent just took the p**s and cocked it all up. had to sell my beautiful golf v6 back to vw for 2 grand less than its value - nice. just about covered the finance with £400 quid left in me pocket - cheers me thinks!!

i too and considering just saying f*** it!!!!

cheers
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:14 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Try not to worry, I'm sure it's not as bad as it seems.

First of all I'd say 95% of homes come back with some sort of damp reading in the house, so shouldnt be anything major.

Regarding the building work, I'm sure that after a certain period (7 years seems to spring to mind) it's too late to worry about it.

Have a word with your solicitor 1st thing Monday to clarify and try not to worry too much over the weekend.

A few of these should help

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

Well is it??????

an indemnity policy re the building work should sort that out mate and as regards the covenant re: original builders approval that can be sorted out easy peesy. your solicitor should be able to sort it all out no probs abd it certainly shouldnt cause the sale to fall through. these things always sound bad but they can easily be rectified.

jacqueline rooks - aspirational legal secretary!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:22 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Sorry, can't help with your problem but noticed you were using Go Matilda.
I can recommend them 100% i( not more) and if anyone can help you, they can.

Will send karma for what it's worth ...
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:07 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

All surveys find damp, its how they make it look like they are doing there job and giving the buyer a bargaining tool.

We had similar covenant, it is put in by the builder to stop houses they have already sold being changed in a way that might effect the ongoing development.
Once all the development is finished they don't care generally.

We had one and thats basiclly what they told us... but still wanted £75 to put it in writing.

Good luck

Kevin
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:51 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Well is it??????

Just wanted to say i think bridiej is right about the timespan bit on the extention, when we sold our last house we where told that the wooden kitchen extention that we didnt put on there by the way was totaly illegal, we got the council fella in and he said yes it was totaly illegal but cos it had been up for so long they didnt give a toss anyway. Keep ya chin up mate cos when your on that beach sipping a nice cool one and all you have to think about is how are Everton getting on then you will know that it has all been worth it. Keep on trucking mate and good luck

Nev.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:13 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Bob Mills: Hello luv, hows you?
old lady: Oh i,m ok darling, but my mums got damp in her back passage! (the old lady points to an alleyway)
Bob Mills, YOUR MUM HAS DAMP IN HER BACK PASSAGE?
old lady: Yea, and it stinks something rotten when it rains too!
Bob collapsed in tears at this point.
From "In bed with me dinner" Bob mills.

Think I,ll watch it again now, aint seen it in years, funniest show EVER.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulf
Bob Mills: Hello luv, hows you?
old lady: Oh i,m ok darling, but my mums got damp in her back passage! (the old lady points to an alleyway)
Bob Mills, YOUR MUM HAS DAMP IN HER BACK PASSAGE?
old lady: Yea, and it stinks something rotten when it rains too!
Bob collapsed in tears at this point.
From "In bed with me dinner" Bob mills.

Think I,ll watch it again now, aint seen it in years, funniest show EVER.

and i thought Jed was pissed!?!?!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:36 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Stick at it guys should all work out in the end !

Its more Crap you can put behind you when you do leave
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:55 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

awe mate sorry to hear of ur probs..........we had hassles when we sold our house........with a land issue........we were in a row of 4 terraces which has a shared back green and outhouse.....the outhouse was falling down so all of us agreed to just pull it down for safety....told the cooncil it fell down in the high winds. We then split up the gardens equally, and fenced it all....been like that for ohhhhh over11 years. We built an extension on the back....all with council approval etc, but when the buyers did a land search......we had never got the title deeds changed showing the gardens being split up therefore technically we had built our extension on comunal ground....pile of pish but anyway.........we had to get out title deeds changed and because we were the ones that were selling we also had to pay for the nieghbours both sides to get theirs changed also............costs us a bit of dosh.....and a HUGE amount of hassles and heartache, but we got here in the end....and when we look back..........yeah defo well worth it and we r glad we didnt throw in the towel. Youve come too far mate.....keep goin.

H

Ps Dont let the bastards get ya down
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:50 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Don't worry about the things you can do nowt about. Shit happens. You just gotta deal with it. These are just some of the hurdles you've got to get over whilst running the DIMIA hurdle. View them as fences to jump over and "you'll be right m8"

When you get here you'll realise all this was just another set of hurdles you had to jump over to get here...and it'll all have been worth it in the end

Good luck....and chin up....you CAN do it

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:32 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Believe me you will feel 10 times better when you get to the airport, so just say to yourself who cares I'm gone soon, get the solicitor to sort it out and put your feet up.
Jenny
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Well is it??????

We had a very similiar thing happen when selling our house. We hadn't asked the original builder if we could erect a shed and a satellite dish - shock, horror! It went against the covenants on the house. There was also the small matter of a dividing wall (which we insisted wasn't supporting, their surveyor didn't even notice but they knew it had been altered becaused the Estate Agent told them) between the kitchen and dining room that we had taken a sledgehammer to without getting planning permission. We said very little and tried to let the solicitors argue it out whilst in the meantime sneakily applying to the council for backdated planning permission without anyone knowing, which arrived on the day of completion!! In the end we did pay out about £295 for indemnity insurance and all parties were happy with that.

And do you know what..............YESSSSSSSSS, its all worth it once you get here!! Even if it doesn't seem that way at the moment, once you get here, you'll be like....what house? what damp? Yeah I vaguely remember that

Good luck, you're nearly through all the hurdles and before you know it you'll be on that plane.

Best wishes.

Sam