14.29%
Mongrel Mutt
37.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Getting a Dog

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:28 pm
Badge

Default Getting a Dog

Mrs B has expressed an interest in getting a dog. I wanted a cat - easier ownership but now I am coming around. Having a bigger home with a garden means the dogs can be out in the yard both in the day and at night, and there is less problem with the space.
My considerations are good around kids, trainable, and SMART. Working dogs also good.

Also, dog food is cheap so in hard times..

So. what do you reckon?

B

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:30 pm
WBB

Default Re: Getting a Dog

Originally posted by badgersmount
Mrs B has expressed an interest in getting a dog. I wanted a cat - easier ownership but now I am coming around. Having a bigger home with a garden means the dogs can be out in the yard both in the day and at night, and there is less problem with the space.
My considerations are good around kids, trainable, and SMART. Working dogs also good.

So what do you reckon?

B
a mongrel dog every time for me, cats live off you and only come to you if they want something, a dog is a mans best friend.

PS dogs dont kill any of the little cute animals either.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:33 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Kelpies need a lot of stimulation or they can become problematic ( could you get two to keep each other company?), Labs need exercise or they become FAT, staffies can have breathing difficulties and as it will be hot...? - your best bet out of your options is a mongrel mutt - and you have the added benefit of being able to rescue one and give it a lovely home.

They also tend to need less expensive treatment at the vets - my pedigree working Springer has cost about 4 grand in vets bills and she is still only 11 months old!!

But a kelpie would prob look best in the back of the ute!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:37 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Pollster

But a kelpie would prob look best in the back of the ute!
true, true! that is of course a driver worthy of consideration.. Or maybe I watched HUP's dogs galloping around in the yard today and realised why they are man's best friend..(I was on lifeguard pool duty for the nippers)

BM

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got a German Shepherd (Alsatian) 8 month old pub, have an orchard so she runs around like a lunatic, and plenty of things for her to play with along with her toys. Great with people and kids intelligentand nice natured, dont have to tell her more than once not do anything naughty....though she seems to be a budding gardener.....just wish she would dig on command now......in places that I want her to.

Great companion and even moreso when you are in the dog house with the Mrs....the other advantage is a guard dog. I got her from a refuge, she had been thrown out by some bastard from a moving car, and considering her trauma, she is great.

Get a cat also, they usually get on well together and its company for each other for when you´re out....so if you have the space go for both.

DG

So. what do you reckon?

B
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:44 pm
Badge

I used to feel that cats were the 'clever' ones - we had cats when I was a kids - but I have mates with cats and dogs and they all seem to get on.

So, yes, would love to have a cat as well. When I was a kid, my fav pastime was getting out the hoover, or cutting off the cat's whiskers, but I won't be trying this now..

B

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Me, I am going for a shizui (sorry about the spelling) althought the boys think we are getting a boxer, so sorry I didnt vote
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:48 pm
WBB

When I was a kid, my fav pastime was getting out the hoover, or cutting off the cat's whiskers
lol

maybe a cat is not a good idea then badge.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:56 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

How about a nice Springer?

I have got one here which is currently engaged in ripping off all the bandages covering her foot which was stiched up for the second last night by the vet after she took all the bandages off yesterday and pulled the stitches out in the half an hour I was trying to do some work.

This is despite wearing the Elizabethan cone collar thing!

She only needs 3/4 ( that is three to four not three-quarters) hours galloping exercise a day, constant supervision to prevent herself from damaging herself or the house, needs to be by your side all day and is absolutely beautiful, great with kids, funny, obedient ( unless it is ripping bandages off when she has been told not too) and great fun.

I love her to bits but at this precise second in time she is yours if you want her!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:17 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

For me it has to be a labrador........they're great with kids...and besides..they smell lovely and biscuity as pups....
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:18 pm
WBB

anyway badge, being a true blue australeeeun i thought you would of tamed a dingo or something.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I too want a dog and my friend is a vet and I gave her my choices a wymarana (?) spaniel and or a husky.

I have been told a great home dog that is cool is a kings charles spaniel so I am going to go with that.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:27 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

So. what do you reckon?

B

We had a lovely german pointer - some idiot ran her over then drove off guess they either had no insurance or were drunk - either way scumbags! Jess was a great dog but not very obedient - she pulled at the lead and would run a lot. I did go to training classes but it had no effect! Unless you had a lot of time I would not recommend that type of breed.

Are you worried about malting? friends have a retriever and it malts everywhere thats another consideration.

We too would like to get a dog in Aus but this time I will be going for a small one. Apparently shnauzers don't malt (I'm sure spelt very wrong!) I also think the little border terriers are cute.

From your list I would say staffy - friends have one and she is the sweetest little dog so gentle and great with kids.

Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:32 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Kelpie, Kelpie, Kelpie, Kelpie.

Love 'em, fantastic dogs. But only if they have room to move. I had a Kelpie - still have him, in fact, but he's back in Oz. Got him as a pup, trained him up as a working dog. They are incredibly intelligent and learn fast. But Pollsters right - they do get bored easily and don't make 'lapdogs' (doubt you'd want one of the Badge!). I know where you can get a good one, if you're interested....

Heelers are good guard dogs, but they can be a bit vicious...
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

A good friend has got a couple of King Charles, he says they are like rats and irritate him to bits, they´re not his but his wifes. He likes my monster better finds her much more intelligent.......Must admit dont like them either, go for a REAAAL dog, like the spaniel or husky.....though the latter you better borrow Badges hoover.......a friend of mine has the white Husky looking dog with the letter S.....cant remember its name for the breed, but in winter it could be mistaken for a sheep, a fat one at that, LOL.

Originally posted by Carrianne
I too want a dog and my friend is a vet and I gave her my choices a wymarana (?) spaniel and or a husky.

I have been told a great home dog that is cool is a kings charles spaniel so I am going to go with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.