Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting deposit back?

Getting deposit back?

Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting deposit back?

We forwarded a large amount of cash with HiFx for currency to pay out and our balance paid in mid-October when the exchange rate was more favourable.

However, with the recession and worry about packing up our pretty successful business to move to a situation which may be not so favourable is dragging us down, to the extent that (although we have our visas) we probably won't now be going.Cries. The whole plan of moving to Oz for us was to start again and having cashed everything in, not to worry about cash for a while. However, OH is now worried long-term about working again and it would therefore bring a whole new set of problems which we hadn't factored in when we started this whole process.

Does anyone know if we can settle up and get out of the 'forwarded' HiFx currency now, as we have a pretty hefty deposit that it would be good if we got back. Just a thought
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting deposit back?

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
We forwarded a large amount of cash with HiFx for currency to pay out and our balance paid in mid-October when the exchange rate was more favourable.

However, with the recession and worry about packing up our pretty successful business to move to a situation which may be not so favourable is dragging us down, to the extent that (although we have our visas) we probably won't now be going.Cries. The whole plan of moving to Oz for us was to start again and having cashed everything in, not to worry about cash for a while. However, OH is now worried long-term about working again and it would therefore bring a whole new set of problems which we hadn't factored in when we started this whole process.

Does anyone know if we can settle up and get out of the 'forwarded' HiFx currency now, as we have a pretty hefty deposit that it would be good if we got back. Just a thought

Have you tried emailing them?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Is it possible to do a deal with someone on the forum who wants to exchange £ to $?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
Is it possible to do a deal with someone on the forum who wants to exchange £ to $?

I would have thought they would be referring to quite a large amount of money
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I understand the issue. Can you not just convert deposit back to £ and only lose transaction costs?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, yes it isn't clear. What I wanted to do is pay the full amount now and get the exchange rate that was available in October. You've probably guessed by now that finance (along with many other things) isn't my strong point.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

So you had some kind of forward agreement, was it an option? was there a fixed date on it? i.e. you fixed an exchange rate around October but was there a specific date you were supposed to complete the transaction?

I think a quick call to HIFX would sort it out. Assuming you were about to complete the transaction, then all you need to do is change it back to £. You will be better off for doing so as well with the way the rates have gone.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So you had some kind of forward agreement, was it an option? was there a fixed date on it? i.e. you fixed an exchange rate around October but was there a specific date you were supposed to complete the transaction?

I think a quick call to HIFX would sort it out. Assuming you were about to complete the transaction, then all you need to do is change it back to £. You will be better off for doing so as well with the way the rates have gone.
Thanks for that. Yes we forward fixed for mid October and paid a 10% deposit (was fixed at $2.51 - the good old days!) with us being contracted to pay the balance this mid October. However, I'm looking to pay them the whole amount now and then change the full amount back in £'s. Confusing, sorry.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I really cannot imagine that they would agree to sell you $ at £1 = $2.5 and immediately buy back at £1= $2.1 today if they are not legally obliged to (speaking as ex investment bank accountant). But they might agree to deal on the 10% deposit.

A very canny move back in October last year though. Respect!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I really cannot imagine that they would agree to sell you $ at £1 = $2.5 and immediately buy back at £1= $2.1 today if they are not legally obliged to (speaking as ex investment bank accountant). But they might agree to deal on the 10% deposit.

A very canny move back in October last year though. Respect!

Many thanks all for your responses, I'll get OH to speak to HiFX (over to you luv!) about maybe doing something with the deposit. I really feel for all those who are having to buy at the current exchange rate.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:28 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Many thanks all for your responses, I'll get OH to speak to HiFX (over to you luv!) about maybe doing something with the deposit. I really feel for all those who are having to buy at the current exchange rate.
Surely if you've forward fixed at ~ 2.50/1 then completing the contract and changing back at ~2.25/1 makes sense...? and money...
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

jayne3411 is on a distinguished road

we're in the same position as you not exchanged money, but because of the economy will probably not be emigrating, as we live a pretty comfortable life now and would be foolish to stat from scratch in a country which is just starting to feel the effects of the recession. My biggest gripe is that we have to validate the visa and don't want to throw that much money away, good luck with your money
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

You should be able to bring forward the deal,you will get a lower rate -based on interest rates being lower here but a nice profit.

Speak to your dealer at HIFX
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:22 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I was in a similar situation where I could not complete just before xmas. Had a chat with HIFX and did the reverse deal, then ended up owing them about $60. They were very understanding and the trader said they have had others do similar and HIFX have ended up owing money out.

Give them a call, ask about the reverse deal over the whole amount (dont mention the deposit) you may make a good profit.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Windsor2 will become famous soon enoughWindsor2 will become famous soon enough

LorrieLou

Give us a call and we'll talk you through the options available.

Best Regards

Mark Bodega
Director - HiFX

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.