Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting Credit? New migration questions

Getting Credit? New migration questions

Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

antony1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Credit? New migration questions

Just a quick one that new migrants might know the answer too. I will be moving to AUS in a month, for the first time. I will be renting as soon as it can be arranged. Thing is, I wont have any credit history (to prove I am a reliable tenant) in AUS at all. So how will I be able to rent a house, or get a house phone, or satellite TV etc? Will bank statements suffice? Anyone have any ideas, or how do others get around this! Obviously money isnt an issue for me, just proving reliability. Thanks All
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Getting Credit? New migration questions

I haven't had any issues with no credit history. The main problem with renting though was that there is a bit of a housing crisis in some areas and when I went to see a flat or unit there were about another 30 people all there to look at the same thing.

The agencies do point scoring out of 100. I think several recent rent receipts give you 50. I reckon the problem with why I wasn't getting anywhere was that the landlord was just flicking through the applications with the highest number of points.

I already had a job on arrival so I was showing the agents the contract as proof that I was earning.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

We brought a reference letter from our private landlord in Ireland - rental agency in Melbourne was happy with this.

(we also provided rental agency with bank statements and work contracts)

For house phone, broad band etc....also just gave the companies bank statements & work contact - and had no probs :-)
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:24 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We just offered the rent up front.