Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a Credit Card

Getting a Credit Card

Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:26 am
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice
Default Getting a Credit Card

We got here last week (1st June 2007) on a 457.

We opened bank accounts with WestPac without a problem.

However, I am really struggling to find someone who will let us have a credit card.

I am sponsered and have a covering letter from my employer which states my income and also my intentions of staying in Oz.

I took that into ANZ together with my passport and driving license and the guy there told me it shoudn't be a problem but then the applcation got rejected and i was told i need to be here for at least 6 months before applying again.

WestPac just dont give credit cards to non residents...period...

Anyone know of a company that would take the letter from my employer seriously and give me a credit card, no matter of how small a limit they give me?

Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:04 am
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a Credit Card

Why don't you try and get a VISA debit card? ANZ do them but you will have to open a bank account with them, and also St George have VISA debit. So much better than a credit card which only gets you into debt. A VISA debit card will get you the credit rating that you need further down the line.

My husband applied for a Wizard credit card online and he got it no questions asked (he's on a temporary spouse visa). But the limit was very low - $750.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:10 am
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by dhw210770
Why don't you try and get a VISA debit card? ANZ do them but you will have to open a bank account with them, and also St George have VISA debit. So much better than a credit card which only gets you into debt. A VISA debit card will get you the credit rating that you need further down the line.

My husband applied for a Wizard credit card online and he got it no questions asked (he's on a temporary spouse visa). But the limit was very low - $750.
we already have debit cards with WestPac - the reason we wnted Credit Cards is for the added protection it provides with purchases, fraud etc,etc

thanks for the suggestion - do you have an address for the Wizard card and i will try and fill out a form....thanks
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:14 am
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Getting a Credit Card

Website address is www.wizard.com.au. Personally, I don't think credit cards give you the added protection, just more debt. If you use your VISA debit card as a credit card when making purchases, you are still covered.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:15 am
What am I doing??!!

Originally Posted by dhw210770
Website address is www.wizard.com.au. Personally, I don't think credit cards give you the added protection, just more debt. If you use your VISA debit card as a credit card when making purchases, you are still covered.

thanks....i would prefer someone to clone a credit card number rather than my current account and have complete access to everything i posess.

Last edited by naifyboy; Jun 10th 2007 at 6:30 am.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

We are on a 457 and have a credit card through the Commonwealth Bank. The guy who opened our account for us said not to apply for the Credit Card immediately but to wait until my first salary payment had gone into the bank. We did this and applied after my first pay and were approved for a Credit Card with a limit of $5000.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:07 am
What am I doing??!!

Originally Posted by yanH
We are on a 457 and have a credit card through the Commonwealth Bank. The guy who opened our account for us said not to apply for the Credit Card immediately but to wait until my first salary payment had gone into the bank. We did this and applied after my first pay and were approved for a Credit Card with a limit of $5000.

thats good to know - thanks very much - i will wait a month and then try again with the Commonwealth..

cheers for your help....
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naifyboy

However, I am really struggling to find someone who will let us have a credit card.

Great!

Plastic.......the scourge of humanity!!!:curse:
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:21 am
What am I doing??!!

Originally Posted by Stephen
Great!

Plastic.......the scourge of humanity!!!:curse:
Strange attitude on here about credit cards!
Maybe many people on here cannot control themselves or their finances without getting into trouble.

A credit card when managed properly and responsibly has to be one of the best tools available to anyone trying to start a new life in a new country.

Cant see the problem myself...
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Strange attitude on here about credit cards!
Maybe many people on here cannot control themselves or their finances without getting into trouble.

A credit card when managed properly and responsibly has to be one of the best tools available to anyone trying to start a new life in a new country.

Cant see the problem myself...

As a person working with peoples finances over the past decade, they are great in theory but a disaster in practice.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:29 am
What am I doing??!!

Originally Posted by Stephen
As a person working with peoples finances over the past decade, they are great in theory but a disaster in practice.
again - depends on self control and discipline. same as everything in life.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

again - depends on self control and discipline. same as everything in life.
We tried Virgin after being here a month and they were OK after I spoke with someone higher up than the usual end of the telephone advisor, they gave us $10,000 limit and just last week they put it up to $30,000. Funny thing was Westpac wouldn't give us a card even though we bank with them and Virgin is underwritten by guess who ? Westpac. So Virgin gets my vote.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Commonwealth gave us a credit card and we're on a temporary student visa.

Only a $1,000 limit, but don't want more than that anyway!
Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:31 am
Diane T

diitbrown will become famous soon enoughdiitbrown will become famous soon enough

We opened bank accounts with WestPac without a problem.

I am sponsered and have a covering letter from my employer which states my income and also my intentions of staying in Oz.

I took that into ANZ together with my passport and driving license and the guy there told me it shoudn't be a problem but then the applcation got rejected and i was told i need to be here for at least 6 months before applying again.

WestPac just dont give credit cards to non residents...period...

Anyone know of a company that would take the letter from my employer seriously and give me a credit card, no matter of how small a limit they give me?

Thanks
Hi, I am on a student visa and have a credit card with Westpac. I already had an account with them and just needed to show 3 months wage slips in order to gain the credit card.

Di