Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting close..Getting stressed!!HELP!!!!!

Wikiposts

Getting close..Getting stressed!!HELP!!!!!

Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting close..Getting stressed!!HELP!!!!!

HI..

well the date is getting nearer and know we are starting to the mega serious stuff...eg flights,contract signing,Kids finishin schooll,work notice etc!!!Getting very bloody real now!!!!!!!!Any advice from any one thats been there and done it or currently doing it??????!!!! ??I'm sure waiting for the visas was oh so much easier!!!!!!LOL

Cheers guys!!!

Scott
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya scott and Alison,

we are going sept 2nd,

have sold house and exchanged £/$ with HIFX, got $2.62 / £1.

Flights booked, hotel booked, shippers ( Doree Bonner ) coming on tuesday, kids finish school on tuesday, ste finished work yesterday, I finish work in 2 wks,

To be perfectly honest, I'm bored sh*tless, much preferred the 'doing stuff' phase.

have six weeks left 'til we go, so am going to enjoy spending the time with the winkles ( the 4 of us together ) and chill out.

No leaving party to dread, a few ickle 'gatherings', nothing big.

COME ON!!!!! BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to you too!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting close..Getting stressed!!HELP!!!!!

Originally posted by scottalison6
HI..

well the date is getting nearer and know we are starting to the mega serious stuff...eg flights,contract signing,Kids finishin schooll,work notice etc!!!Getting very bloody real now!!!!!!!!Any advice from any one thats been there and done it or currently doing it??????!!!! ??I'm sure waiting for the visas was oh so much easier!!!!!!LOL

Cheers guys!!!

Scott

Make lots of lists!!!!!

Will help avoid the sleepless nights as you have everything written down....

I find if I dont have it written down...I lay awake thinking about everything I might have forgotten....

I am sure you will be fine....When you are sitting on the plane and everything is done...you will take a deep breath and know its only up up and away from then!!

Good luck

Hels
Old Jul 17th 2004, 10:37 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

HI..

Cheers guys!!!

Scott
We have shippers in Wednesday for 3 days...I am about as stressed as I can ever remember being - even more than when our first baby was due and thats saying something!

Not flying till 29th Sept so 10 weeks at parents - my problem is the bloody luggage. Today I have repacked and am down to 2 suitcases 1 large pull along bag and 1 smaller one plus we will have the 2 car seats so I am a little bit worried about the airport!

I have been throwing everything out today - the bin is nearly full!Have been so ruthless it's a good time to get rid of things.

My main worry is the garage/garden stuff which I have cleaned and covered with plastic sheets - still finding earwigs and spiders getting on it all so I am in there daily spraying it all with insect killer!!

..on top of all this we have been renting this house and I have to get it ship shape for the inspection:scared:

I have basically put everything we don't want shipped in a seperate room and I am going to stick a sign on the door stopping (hopefully!) the shippers going in. I've have typed them out a list of what to take from where so they will probably think I am crazy.

I hope you are doing better than me - feel a bit panicky - definately suffering from stress and can't sleep at all

Max
Old Jul 18th 2004, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Scott and Alison
don't really feel stressed, just want to get there and get settled! our bungalow still hasn't sold, so that is a bit of a worry but if we have to we will leave power of attorney! All our furniture went on Thursday so we are sitting on crappy old patio chairs, our old lumpy mattress is our bed (will skip it before we leave), flights are being booked as soon as our passports are back from Australia House via our agent!
We're having a big leaving party on the 13th August for 200 odd family & friends so looking forward to that!
I leave work at 3.pm on Thursday and can't bloody wait, going to spend as much time as possible with friends and family.
Believe me, waiting for the visa is the easy part, its waiting for a decent honest buyer thats the bummer!
best of luck to you and everyone else
Rach x
Old Jul 18th 2004, 1:47 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

[i]Not flying till 29th Sept so 10 weeks at parents - my problem is the bloody luggage. Today I have repacked and am down to 2 suitcases 1 large pull along bag and 1 smaller one plus we will have the 2 car seats so I am a little bit worried about the airport!
Just a thought. Are you taling about child car seats? if so you might want to check that they are OK for Australia, The rules on car seats in Australia are different to ours and you might find that you will not be allowed to use the ones you have.

There was a thread on this a while ago but I cant find it. If I do i'l pop a link on

Cheers
Kala.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 1:54 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by kala
Just a thought. Are you taling about child car seats? if so you might want to check that they are OK for Australia, The rules on car seats in Australia are different to ours and you might find that you will not be allowed to use the ones you have.

There was a thread on this a while ago but I cant find it. If I do i'l pop a link on

Cheers
Kala.
here's one
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=baby+seat

Cheers
Kala
Old Jul 18th 2004, 2:11 am

Cheers
Kala.
Yes we thrashed this out on here some time ago now.

A few of us decided that as we found them perfectly safe here there is no reason for them not to be as safe in Aus. Ours cost over £100 each as I imagine do most peoples the girls won't be in them for ever and don't want the expense of buying more. We made an executive decision that if a cop can be bothered to pull us over and check the car seats we will plead ignorance

You could go on forever with these little details but we just felt you have to draw the line somewhere!

Thanks Kala

Max
Old Jul 18th 2004, 2:16 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Yes we thrashed this out on here some time ago now.

A few of us decided that as we found them perfectly safe here there is no reason for them not to be as safe in Aus. Ours cost over £100 each as I imagine do most peoples the girls won't be in them for ever and don't want the expense of buying more. We made an executive decision that if a cop can be bothered to pull us over and check the car seats we will plead ignorance

You could go on forever with these little details but we just felt you have to draw the line somewhere!

Thanks Kala

Max

True, Hope you dont get pulled

Good luck with the move
Kala
Old Jul 18th 2004, 2:27 am

True, Hope you dont get pulled

Good luck with the move
Kala
Thanks Mate

Could play the dumb blonde except now I've dyed it brown..du-oh
Old Jul 18th 2004, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Thanks Mate

Could play the dumb blonde except now I've dyed it brown..du-oh

I know you said you have made your decision....but this website might either affirm your decision or make you rethink

I havent read through this site in much detail, but thought it might help.

http://www.greenweb.com.au/kidsafe/h..._kidsafe_.html
Old Jul 18th 2004, 3:01 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi,

Our flights, accommodation and car rental are all booked. Our shippers are coming in 11 days. We resign in 10 days and will finish work in 5 and a half weeks time.

This weekend is a "job" weekend so no parties. That's something we've been having every weekend before we move out. I much rather prefer parties to "jobs"! We're working through our "to do" list and hey, there's loads more ticks now, actually looks like there's some impact on it!

Mr S has been jetwashing, cleaning and scrubbing everything in sight, which as you know, has to be cleaned and sanitized and I mean EVERYTHING including the soles of our shoes! Do the customs people even check? We have cleared the second spare bedroom which has become our "clean" room for all the items that have been washed, scrubbed and sanitized. Everything looks brand new!
We're doing a little each day now so that it will all be done at the end of the next two weeks without too much stress. I've also been sorting through all our paper work, a real boring job I can assure you!

Anyway, better get back to my "jobs". Mr S keeps walking past and has noticed I'm not shifting paper but instead tapping away on the keyboard - a dead give away of what I'm up to!
We still have to have a trial pack to ensure we're within the limits. I just can't seem to motivate myself to do it and keep ending up on here!

Gotta go...
Sunchaser,
6 weeks, 2 days to go.....
Old Jul 18th 2004, 7:04 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

HI..

Cheers guys!!!

Scott
We fly 3 weeks today. My advice for the interim:

Keep lots of booze in the house and burn some lavender oil before bedtime.

Anya.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 8:31 am
Just Joined

bazza&vicki is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Hi,

We know how your feeling, we are currently going through our house sale, we are looking to move the first week in Aug, fingers crossed.

We are moving in with family, until we depart for Australia on the 21st sept. We have just had a few quotes for shipping and are looking to go with anglo pacific. We are going to be travelling for 6 weeks to see more of Australia before we arrive in our final destination, Perth.

We have sold a couple of items on ebay and made a nice profit. We have also done a few car boot sales, we saved these for June & July hoping for good weather, got rained on instead, and australia life seems nicer by the minute!!

We have a party organised for 18th sept. Things seem to be moving along nicely, finish work in 6 weeks, and i'm sure by this stage our stress levels will be high. We will enjoy the holiday before we settle.

Good luck with your move..

Vicki & Barry
Old Jul 18th 2004, 8:44 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Removalists - Getting with the lingo already

Just a quick note to say some people have reported having a less-than-satisfactory service from Anglo Pacific. I've decided to go PSS based on their representative (okay, he was a fellow Dubliner) and good reports on this forum.

I've not had any dealings whatsoever with Anglo Pacific and am only telling you what other people have said. You might want to do a search on their name if you haven't made your decision yet.

Good luck,

Big.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.