Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

getting breast cancer in australia

getting breast cancer in australia

Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:12 am

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting breast cancer in australia

after my wife lived in australia for 2 years then my wife got home sick for the uk so we went back for 2 years then moved back to australia only to find 2 weeks after she landed she found a lump in her breast that turned out to be cancer im just woundering if anyone else has had some thing thing go badly wrong after flying to the other side of the world for a better life for there children with all the junk thats going on in the uk now
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting breast cancer in australia

Arriving here, securing a well paid tradesman job on contract, taking out a mortgage on that basis then getting permanently injured and never being able to work at lifelong career again and getting no workers comp at all. Financially bolloxed now.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:21 am

thats gota blow mate any chance you can retrain in a easyer type of work ?

im kinda of same im paing for all her treatment breast removeal chemo radio therapy all dr visists blood tests and soon the reconstruction small price to pay to still have her with me

way i see it sunbather is the only way we have it now is up cant get any lower

Last edited by dazah; Mar 30th 2008 at 8:23 am.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of

This really make's all my problems so trivial, hope every thing works out for you guys, sending lots of good karma your way.
Lee
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazah
thats gota blow mate any chance you can retrain in a easyer type of work ?

im kinda of same im paing for all her treatment breast removeal chemo radio therapy all dr visists blood tests and soon the reconstruction small price to pay to still have her with me

way i see it sunbather is the only way we have it now is up cant get any lower
Why are you paying for this? It's all covered by Medicare if you are eligible and if you are not then as UK citizens you are entitled to reciprocal health care.

I know people think that private is better treatment, but I work in the oncology department of a public hospital and can tell you that the treatment is top notch; Some of the state's finest doctors work in our unit.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:23 am

unless she saveing up for a leave me found
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why are you paying for this? It's all covered by Medicare if you are eligible and if you are not then as UK citizens you are entitled to reciprocal health care.

I know people think that private is better treatment, but I work in the oncology department of a public hospital and can tell you that the treatment is top notch; Some of the state's finest doctors work in our unit.
Six months after getting here hubby found out he had cancer, he has just finished his treatment we did have to pay towards it there is no public radiation unit on the central coast we registered with the medicare safety net and eventually got 100% of his weekly bills back he had 7 weeks of radiation the final bill for us was $2,100 a small price to pay for the excellent treatment he got the staff were wonderfull.
Janet
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:48 am

Janet i have to agree with you they are wounderfull over here

im glad it happened here and not in the uk as with what we been told with here sisters m8s who are going through same thing my wife is getting way better care then they are in the uk and the speed they deal with it blow me out of the water

within 2 weeks of her finding lump she was in hospital haveing left breast removed

and chemo is just over now and staff in there where funny she was even the modle for the feel good look grate thing she went to i say to her i told you. you where a modle in next breath i call her kojak and get a slapp but thats my way of dealing with it makeing it a joke
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Dazah, sorry to hear this news about your wife, you are better off were you are tho, she will get good care there, wishing your wife well wishes

bluekipper
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:43 am

thanks she will get through this she is a brit after all

all she realy wants is her hair back she says to make her feel like a woman she says there is nothing more ugly then a bald woman i say your still as good looking as the day i met you calls me a lier but to me she is

i even took over the cooking cause she cant do it so she tells me

our toilet didnt like me at the start of me cooking but i got good at it now kids are looking healthier mrs loseing a bit of waight and got through chemo with out any probs with all the british style dinners im making with steamed vegies
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

dazah, sounds like your wife is doing well and i think she's lucky to have you too! i'd been here year and a half and had terrific pains and a swollen tummy for ages, twice incorrectly diagnosed with ibs, had a great doctor who sent me for more tests and because we pursued it eventually found out what i had - they thought at the royal in brisbane i had ovarian cancer and i was ready for a hysterectomy. then they found neuro endrocrine tumours strangling the bowel and it became very urgent. its the quality of care which impressed me, two weeks first in our local hospital to give me pain relief then up to brisbane for tests and the operation in the end for three weeks. i have not had to pay for any of this, i looked at medical insurance but no one will cover me for much with my condition.
my cancer does not respond to chemo or radiotherapy so i live with carcinoid syndrome and have a monthly injection at the local oncology dept at tweed.
i am glad i was here when i got sick rather than back in birmingham, i used to visit city hospital alot when my dad was in there, i remember all the fighting and crowds and problems with parking. lucky to have a wonderful husband too and my sister came out when i was first ill for a few weeks.
getting a centrelink healthcare card is a huge help if you are a low earner as scripts are only $5 each with one.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:05 pm

karenvirginia sorry to hear about you are you getting better ?

i could get a heathcare card with been a aussie from birth but wife got home sick just over a year into been here not quite done the 2 years yet

when i say aussie from birth its cause i was born here but lived in uk from age of 3 so im more british then aussie

i hope everyone who has got sick and there partners who got ill hve a speedy recovery

only way we can all go is up
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

thanks for your kind wishes. i am quite good mostly, work part time but recently lost alot of weight so awaiting results of more tests just now...no worries!