Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Getting a bit scared and need a voice of experience or reason....either will do :)

Getting a bit scared and need a voice of experience or reason....either will do :)

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all
Default Getting a bit scared and need a voice of experience or reason....either will do :)

Hi Guys,

We are taking our little dog with us to OZ when we leave the UK.

Clive is a Lakeland x Patterdale terrier and is a bit of a mommys boy - to cut a long story short he is a stray from Scotland and I am worried silly how he is going to cope with the quarantine and the flight.

I am sure there are lots of people out there who have done the move with the dog - and I am hoping that you can put my mind at rest?

We have chosen Golden Arrow to ship him so they will have him 3 days before he flys - I chose them as they are the most recommended and I cannot find a bad word said about them.

If anyone can share there expierence I would be very grateful

TTFN
a very worried Chelly
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting a bit scared and need a voice of experience or reason....either will do :

Hi there

We shipped our dog Timber in September 2006. The 30 days in quarantine seemed like forever and we were so excited to go and collect him. You can visit them whilst they are in quarantine but we decided not to as we wanted the first time we see him to be when we took him home and not to keep coming and going as we thought this may be more unsettling. He was so unbelievably excited when we picked him up, took him a few seconds to realise that we were there but when he did went beserk, jumping, crying and barking. As soon as we got out and opened the car door he was straight in and wouldn't budge! Drove him straight to the beach, he had a run and a swim and has been happy as larry since!

The quarantine people at eastern Creek were great and we called frequently to see how he was doing, they said he was quiet for a couple of days and was off his food but soon settled in. As soon as we saw him run into the ocean it was worth all the stress and money along the way! Some people thought we were crazy to take our dog all that way but we couldn't have left him! My advice, go for it, it will all be worth it!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a bit scared and need a voice of experience or reason....either will do :

Don't panic, we brought our 6 year old Lhasa Apso with us 4 years ago. He was fine if not a bit dehydrated when he arrived. The bloke at the quarantine centre side it is normal for a dog to lose a kilo or 2 during the trip.

We sent him out a week before us and visited him twice, we thought he would explode when he first saw us.

I think we worried more about our dog than anything else during the whole process. I am sure your dog will be fine but it is natural to be worried about them.

John
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

The dogs flight scared me more than anything else in the whole emigration process , I was fine with the quarantine as that's pretty much just like boarding kennels so knew they'd be fine.

We tracked their flight online and the shippers stayed in touch, we had contacted Sydney quarantine and got their kennel maids mobile number a day or so before, so we could ring they day after they arrived. If they go from Heathrow to Sydney it's on a QF2 flight which is the quickest, with no change of plane at Bangkok just a refuel. The only thing I'd recommend is if you have a chewer go for the plastic crate as opposed to plywood ones.

We arrived two days after them and visited them a week after they arrived, I'm really glad we did as it so put our mind to rest, the dogs were all happy, they kept running to the door when they heard the kennel maids and ignored us as dinner was getting ready LOL.

Whenever you ring, you get through to your kennel maid, and she seemed to know who'd put weight on, who'd lost a little and they adjusted food accordingly.

We took 4 dogs aged between 2 years - 13 years and all were fine, we hadn't said about our oldie being deaf in case they was an obscure rule that she couldn't go, but the kennel staff impressed me by knowing so much about the dogs including this, she brought a bone in for our lad and when that got chomped brought him in a kong (strong toy). VERY impressed with them.

Their crates where spotless when we picked them up and the girls seemed genuinely attached to them up, which you can do from 8.30am in the morning, we was in the car park for 8.15

We are still in touch with the shippers, and will use them again when we import a puppy next year from the UK.

You've found a shipper your happy with so give them a ring, they are best placed to help put your mind to rest
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

clairey b will become famous soon enoughclairey b will become famous soon enough

Hi Chelly

I know its easier said than done but try not to worry.

We have just brought our tiny little wirehaired dacshie out. She had never even been near to a kennels before, was completely spoilt and very much a mommies girl! so just as you were so worried how she would cope.

We also chose Golden Arrow, who i cannot praise enough. The lady (can't remember her name!) knew Hettie was struggling so took her up into their house over night bless her! She rang me each of the 3 nights she was with them to let me know how she was.

As soon as she arrived in Perth we gave her a few days to settle then visited, and continued to visit twice every week. We felt this really helped her while she was there, but its not always possible for everyone i guess.

The staff at the quarrantine station in Perth were great. It is the smallest of all the stations, but was still busy, but they always still had time for you.

Hettie lost weight, but always seemed happy enough, and loved us visiting as we took her out into the yards to have a run around, which was great as i don't think they get walks or anything otherwise.

She is now home and happy as ever. It has done her no harm at all, if anything probably did her a bit of good!!!

Try not to worry if you can, and hope it all goes really well.

Take care

Claire
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Shonaloiuse, Wendy66, John and Claire - thank you so much for you replys they have really set my mind a bit more at ease

And its nice to know that my doubts and worries have been shared by you guys and that you doggies have come through safe and sound.

Thank you so much guys.

Chellyx
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:14 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chelly77
Hi Guys,

We are taking our little dog with us to OZ when we leave the UK.

Clive is a Lakeland x Patterdale terrier and is a bit of a mommys boy - to cut a long story short he is a stray from Scotland and I am worried silly how he is going to cope with the quarantine and the flight.

I am sure there are lots of people out there who have done the move with the dog - and I am hoping that you can put my mind at rest?

We have chosen Golden Arrow to ship him so they will have him 3 days before he flys - I chose them as they are the most recommended and I cannot find a bad word said about them.

If anyone can share there expierence I would be very grateful

TTFN
a very worried Chelly
Hi Chelly

Although i haven't done it with my dog yet, i have done a lot of research on here. If you do a search for "shipping dogs" then you will see that most people have been very happy with the process.
There have been some upsets, particularly if the dog fails the lepto test and isn't allowed to go, but they are few and far between.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chelly77
Shonaloiuse, Wendy66, John and Claire - thank you so much for you replys they have really set my mind a bit more at ease

And its nice to know that my doubts and worries have been shared by you guys and that you doggies have come through safe and sound.

Thank you so much guys.

Chellyx

Just to let you know that it doesn't have a long term affect on the dog. my Sister brought her retriever out 11 years ago and she has just turned 16!!