Reload this Page >

Getting an Australian Credit Card

Getting an Australian Credit Card

Old Aug 31st 2020, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

mpjdodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting an Australian Credit Card

Hi,

Has anyone had any success in getting an Australian Credit Card ahead of moving to Australia?
Nearly got through the application process last week but 'the system' wouldn't accept an employer address outside of Australia!
For some reason a lot of Australian institutions believe you have to live in the same country as your employer!

Thanks in Advance.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 2:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting an Australian Credit Card

Originally Posted by mpjdodge
Hi,

Has anyone had any success in getting an Australian Credit Card ahead of moving to Australia?
Nearly got through the application process last week but 'the system' wouldn't accept an employer address outside of Australia!
For some reason a lot of Australian institutions believe you have to live in the same country as your employer!

Thanks in Advance.

Do you have an Aus address? What is your Aussie status - PR, citizen etc?
Old Aug 31st 2020, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

I do have an Australian Address. PR. But not done first entry yet.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

American Express have a "global transfer scheme" for existing cardholders moving from one country to another. See https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-relationship/ and https://www.americanexpress.com/au/moving-abroad.html.

HSBC have something similar. I've used both and found them straightforward.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks.

I use both. AMEX have been very helpful and say they will just transfer my account when I move. So will certainly use them.
HSBC have been a nightmare. Claim to be able to help but I get thwarted at every attempt. They cannot accept that my employer isn't in Australia. Which is crazy for an 'international' bank.

I'm incurring costs in Australia now so am looking for a card provider that I can use ahead of moving.

Old Sep 1st 2020, 8:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpjdodge
Thanks.

I use both. AMEX have been very helpful and say they will just transfer my account when I move. So will certainly use them.
HSBC have been a nightmare. Claim to be able to help but I get thwarted at every attempt. They cannot accept that my employer isn't in Australia. Which is crazy for an 'international' bank.

I'm incurring costs in Australia now so am looking for a card provider that I can use ahead of moving.
Just be aware that AMEX is not as widely accepted by retailers in Australia as MasterCard or VISA, due to the surcharge AMEX imposes. Those that do accept AMEX typically pass this surcharge onto the customer, from memory 2% - 3% of the cost of your purchase.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work with a Credit Card application system and unless the rules have changed enormously since then, I can't see how you could possibly get a card without actually being present here in the country.

The rules for applying - as a new customer - are similar to opening a new bank account in that you need to be identified plus you'd need prove your income etc. You will be scored according to how long you've been at your current address and with your current employer and you will need to provide original documents (utility bills, payslips or similar) to prove it. The card issuing company will also want to check with your employer that your income is what you say it is. They will also be verifying externally as much as possible about you as they can - credit check, electoral roll etc. I suspect that unless you genuinely live here you will never score high enough to get past the initial checks.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks NickyC.

I suspect you're right in most cases. I've read that some banks are more open to providing credit to those about to return to Australia or recently returned. That's the one I'm looking for.
I have a house, bank accounts, etc. It's only that my employer is in the UK and I'm physically not back on Australian soil yet.

I'm already an HSBC Premier Customer in Australia hence already passed the ID and proof of income test with them. The only sticking point seems to be there 'system' will only accept an Australian address for the employer when applying for a credit card, but when applying for a bank account you can enter an international address. So it's a 'computer says no' situation.

Old Dec 7th 2020, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

UPDATE - I'm now in Australia and going through loops.

Seems the sticking point is that I remain employed by a UK company. One card company suggest I quit my job and get one in Australia! Doesn't seem a very sensible way of helping me meet affordability criteria.

As I'm now resident for taxation purposes some organisations will take an Australian Tax return as evidence but I believe I have to wait until the end of the FY to file? Any suggestions?

AMEX Global Transfer Service is currently 'broken' in their words and HSBC can't seem to get their act together.