Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It is getter hotter down here

It is getter hotter down here

Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It is getter hotter down here

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E662,00.html

A summary released by the weather bureau yesterday showed 2003 had the sixth highest maximum temperatures on record. The average maximum was 28.55C, 0.65C above normal.
At night the average minimum temperature of 15.07C was the fourth highest on record.

Every state and territory recorded above average minimum and maximum temperatures.

Queensland exceeded its average the most, being almost a full degree above its long-term norm at 16.57C.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: It is getter hotter down here

Originally posted by bondipom

A summary released by the weather bureau yesterday showed 2003 had the sixth highest maximum temperatures on record. The average maximum was 28.55C, 0.65C above normal.
At night the average minimum temperature of 15.07C was the fourth highest on record.

Every state and territory recorded above average minimum and maximum temperatures.

Queensland exceeded its average the most, being almost a full degree above its long-term norm at 16.57C.
Yes it is much hotter even than say 5 years ago, plus these averages dont give much of a real idea, average Qld norm daytime was 29 degress, yet if you hit that in summer you'd have a jumper on. Tomorrow is shaping up for 37. Sydneys supposed to be 35. Can only imagine what it will be like in 2010:scared:
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:24 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to a mate in good old Nundle NSW last night and it topped 43 degrees there yesterday...not a record, but pretty hot. Of course, I pointed out that it hit 40 degrees here in the UK during the summer, but was met with disbelief.

As one who adores the heat and hates the cold, I say bring it on!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bundy
Spoke to a mate in good old Nundle NSW last night and it topped 43 degrees there yesterday...not a record, but pretty hot. Of course, I pointed out that it hit 40 degrees here in the UK during the summer, but was met with disbelief.

As one who adores the heat and hates the cold, I say bring it on!
I think the difference tho, is a few days of 40 is not the same as several months of it
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:31 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
I think the difference tho, is a few days of 40 is not the same as several months of it
I know, but then we did have something like 40 days where it was in the high thirties here last summer. And what with the added humidity, it was pretty sticky.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 7:40 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Its warming up in Perth to, low 30's all week. It is a bit easier to cope with when the temps stay constant. It was very muggy yesterday but better today despite not getting the predicted storm.

I do struggle with the large fluctuation in temps, and I expect to struggle when high 30's & 40 are regular, especially when we live in a tin can.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 8:18 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Its warming up in Perth to, low 30's all week. It is a bit easier to cope with when the temps stay constant. It was very muggy yesterday but better today despite not getting the predicted storm.

I do struggle with the large fluctuation in temps, and I expect to struggle when high 30's & 40 are regular, especially when we live in a tin can.
Suggest taking a poly-tarpaulin to rig for shade, mat too if space permits.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 9:06 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Suggest taking a poly-tarpaulin to rig for shade, mat too if space permits.
Aunty Meg,

It is so good of you to think of us. We have been looking at the very same thing today, its next on the list after I finish the mosquito net fitting.

Donna
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:45 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nighttime minimum

West of Brisbane: Just before I went to work at 11pm it was 30 degrees celcius and felt like about 100% Humidity!!! Thank god for air conditioning!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:36 am

It is 38 C and the new servers are hammering the air con and over heating the condensors. 10 th alarm today so something is going to give because the server room temperature is already up to 24.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:57 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

It was 39.1C in my backyard earlier in Brisbane's western suburbs. Pool water temperature over 31C - scorcher!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

It is 38 C and the new servers are hammering the air con and over heating the condensors. 10 th alarm today so something is going to give because the server room temperature is already up to 24.
We have 37 in the shade right now, have no idea what the humidity is but after all the rain it certainly feels very tropical, the pool water is no different from stepping into a bath, not exactly refreshing, a few more days of this and we will get one big heck of a storm. I really dont know how we coped before the AC went in
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:01 am

I think I will go for a swim when I get back as the sea has gone down to winter temps.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I think I will go for a swim when I get back as the sea has gone down to winter temps.
I went outside and got the washing off the line earlier and even the grass was hot (I walked out barefoot)!!

It didn't actually heat up here (Western Suburbs Sydney) until just after lunch when all the cloud cleared.

Think there's a thunderstorm approaching soon from the Hunter Valley. Just heard that 3 people have been hit by lightning in the last 1/2 hour up there.

Regards
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:56 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jaykay
I went outside and got the washing off the line earlier and even the grass was hot (I walked out barefoot)!!

It didn't actually heat up here (Western Suburbs Sydney) until just after lunch when all the cloud cleared.

Think there's a thunderstorm approaching soon from the Hunter Valley. Just heard that 3 people have been hit by lightning in the last 1/2 hour up there.

Regards
Yes we did have a bit of a storm this afternoon, we were ordered out of the pool because of the lightning. I had to wait for it to pass before I could get to the pool bbq to cook dinner
Its more usual for the storms to come from the south, we get sydneys storms a couple of hrs later, this one was from the west.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.