Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Get a New Life last night...

Get a New Life last night...

Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:19 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Get a New Life last night...

Enjoyed this programme - makes a change to see people with their heads screwed on!!!

Felt so sorry for the woman though, her Mum was well out of order!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:27 pm
Just Startin'

scotpandj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Get a New Life last night...

Yes we quite agree.Thought her mother was being selfish
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Afraid I have to disagree with you there. I can understand her mum's point of view that she had brought her up for her entire life and she was now leaving to go and live near a "dad" she didn't know. Must have been sole destroying. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she should not have gone to New Zealand but she could have handled it a lot better.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eintracht
Afraid I have to disagree with you there. I can understand her mum's point of view that she had brought her up for her entire life and she was now leaving to go and live near a "dad" she didn't know. Must have been sole destroying. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she should not have gone to New Zealand but she could have handled it a lot better.

have to agree with you there, my husbands parents are saying they will never come to oz and putting emotional pressure on us with regards to the kids.
I think the woman should have talked it through with her mum but her mum should have given her blessing even if she didnt like the idea, that way she knows if it all goes wrong they will be grateful of her constant support. whereas if it goes wrong now and her mum then decides to 'play' the caring mum, they are likely to turn away.
I know its really hard for parents to accept these huge changes, but to add the emotional blackmail is bang out of order, and lets face it, its hard enough coming to the decision to go, let alone having to deal with temper tantrums from the grandparents.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by eintracht

I agree to a point with you, but from what was said there did seem to be an underlying problem between them, from the long letter her mother wrote to her before she left!

What I did not understand, that if the 3 kids were her mother's life, she did not tell her from the beginning what she was planning to do and try and include her in it. Maybe she would have had some time to get her head around what was going on.

Families are never the easiest people to please at the best of times!

Hev
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:56 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Moving away from the point slightly - they did choose a nice house !!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 4:16 pm
Just Startin'

scotpandj is on a distinguished road

Helluva house!!Seem to get more for your money too in the supermarkets
Old Sep 27th 2004, 4:29 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

It was a nice house - although still not as nice as the modern Brisbane one on Place in the Sun recently!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bridiej
Enjoyed this programme - makes a change to see people with their heads screwed on!!!

Felt so sorry for the woman though, her Mum was well out of order!

you have to remember tho these programs only put the juicy contents in and just how much was edited out