Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Get me out this hell hole!

Get me out this hell hole!

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Get me out this hell hole!

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I live in one of the glossiest parts of Australia, near Noosa on the the Sunshne Coast, just yesterday the Sunshine Coast was again named the most desirable part of Australia to live in. I imagine from what people desire on this forum it must look like heaven.

Since my son left school 2 years ago, several of his school mates are Dead. One from skin cancer which spread, but the majority in car crashes, you will not go a week without another teen being killed in some part of OZ because they have to drive so young just to get around, 2 more from drug overdoses and one from suicide. In fact my guess is fortnighly here one teen smash is in the paper. Grayling is a mental health nurse and has confirmed the suicide rates, did you know the suicide rate for teenagers in Australia especially boys is the highest in the world by Austalias own admission, jobs in many parts of OZ are very difficult once they pass the magic 18 of cheap wages, Uni places are very difficult to get. Yesterdays newspaper headline apart from booming property market was the murder trial of a drugged up father outside of a supermarket in Caloundra. Yet we are one of Australias low crime areas, I'm sure someone from a poor area in Melbourne/Sydney/Ipswich will match anything you get in Scotland. Property prices to Australians are just as unachievable to aussies and they are to the english in england, its the pounds that make OZ property affordable so if your kids grow up as aussies they face the same property dilema.

Its very sad that people really dont understand Australia and Australians, just like the UK many live in poverty and misery take drugs and top themselves, and many like me work their butts off to get somewhere, we have all the same problems and temptations, fate, economic and political dilemas, crimes and drugs. Australia does not just consist of upmarket housing estates where everyone has a bloody pool and 2 cars and takes valium to get through the boredom and barbeques, we have areas that will shock the hell out of YOU in the UK, you just dont see them on UK TV tho
oh yes we do!! trevor mcdonald and all that lot on panorama just love to bring other countrys down!! especially since that backpacker thing!!

no offence mate but the east coast of oz just didnt apeal at all!!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:28 pm
togooff&things

Default Re: Get me out this hell hole!

Originally Posted by steven'n'debi
we went to wet'n'wild in north sheilds on monday!! it was dead! 11 flumes all to our selves! total fun!! i can imajinne it would be a nightmare weekends and holidays but def worth goin to pass time till you leave!!
makes leith water world look like a puddle!!

That sound great - never knew the place existed - let alone wet'n'wild! Where is it? Is that out west coast? We're off to Tamborine, near Gold Coast. One of my jobs means I work with young excluded groups - mainly they are great fun to work with - but some groups, especailly 16 -18 make me so sad. They have completly given up on everything. Living in this area and working with similar problems has ruined my faith in Edinburgh entirely! I need to be as remote from neighbours as I am able without becoming a hermit! - but also be fairly close to a major city for work etc. Suicide may be higher statistically in Oz, but it's not on your doorstep 27/7 and there is more of an option of avoiding these situations due to size vs population, surely?

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Get me out this hell hole!

Originally Posted by togooff&things
That sound great - never knew the place existed - let alone wet'n'wild! Where is it? Is that out west coast? We're off to Tamborine, near Gold Coast. One of my jobs means I work with young excluded groups - mainly they are great fun to work with - but some groups, especailly 16 -18 make me so sad. They have completly given up on everything. Living in this area and working with similar problems has ruined my faith in Edinburgh entirely! I need to be as remote from neighbours as I am able without becoming a hermit! - but also be fairly close to a major city for work etc. Suicide may be higher statistically in Oz, but it's not on your doorstep 27/7 and there is more of an option of avoiding these situations due to size vs population, surely?
sorry!! north sheilds is a stones throw north of newcastle!! where the ferries leave from!! that last post about the east coast might change your mind!! cheery guy!! iv seen perth and beleive me its the place to go!!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:32 pm
togooff&things

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I live in one of the glossiest parts of Australia, near Noosa on the the Sunshne Coast, just yesterday the Sunshine Coast was again named the most desirable part of Australia to live in. I imagine from what people desire on this forum it must look like heaven.

Since my son left school 2 years ago, several of his school mates are Dead. One from skin cancer which spread, but the majority in car crashes, you will not go a week without another teen being killed in some part of OZ because they have to drive so young just to get around, 2 more from drug overdoses and one from suicide. In fact my guess is fortnighly here one teen smash is in the paper. Grayling is a mental health nurse and has confirmed the suicide rates, did you know the suicide rate for teenagers in Australia especially boys is the highest in the world by Austalias own admission, jobs in many parts of OZ are very difficult once they pass the magic 18 of cheap wages, Uni places are very difficult to get. Yesterdays newspaper headline apart from booming property market was the murder trial of a drugged up father outside of a supermarket in Caloundra. Yet we are one of Australias low crime areas, I'm sure someone from a poor area in Melbourne/Sydney/Ipswich will match anything you get in Scotland. Property prices to Australians are just as unachievable to aussies and they are to the english in england, its the pounds that make OZ property affordable so if your kids grow up as aussies they face the same property dilema.

Its very sad that people really dont understand Australia and Australians, just like the UK many live in poverty and misery take drugs and top themselves, and many like me work their butts off to get somewhere, we have all the same problems and temptations, fate, economic and political dilemas, crimes and drugs. Australia does not just consist of upmarket housing estates where everyone has a bloody pool and 2 cars and takes valium to get through the boredom and barbeques, we have areas that will shock the hell out of YOU in the UK, you just dont see them on UK TV tho

I never doubted any of that for one second ! Nice rant though!

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:40 pm
togooff&things

sorry!! north sheilds is a stones throw north of newcastle!! where the ferries leave from!! that last post about the east coast might change your mind!! cheery guy!! iv seen perth and beleive me its the place to go!!

Newcastle?? Hmmmm - Porti pool is 3 mins away from us! Still great for a sunny day out - oh dear - missed that week of sun! I'll give it a go next holiday if I'm still here. Thanks for the tip though. Looks like I've inadvertantly opened "that old can of worms" up again! Ho HUM! I need to go east for work - nothing work wise for me in Perth I'm pretty sure anyway!
All the best to you.

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by togooff&things
I never doubted any of that for one second ! Nice rant though!
Talking about the reality of australia is a rant, talking about reality of Uk is of course permissable tho
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes we do!! trevor mcdonald and all that lot on panorama just love to bring other countrys down!! especially since that backpacker thing!!

no offence mate but the east coast of oz just didnt apeal at all!!
No offence taken, Perths house prices are very appealing, but we have three kids and job opportunites for kids are terrible there so we have never considered it.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 10:26 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

after reading all post on this thread, it just reminded me why i left glasgow.
yes Oz has its probs. the thing is theres not that many places left in scotland that u can move your kids to. so if your gonna make them move it might as well be a life changing move and be worth it
someone should try telling our 3 teenagers its not such a good move. theres only one problem there, you will need to find them. they are never home. in glasgow they spent 6 months in their room because it was either too cold or too dodgy to go out.
oh, and another thing. i rmbr when i was young our parents would take us to visit pals they had from when they were kids. we caled them auntie and stuff like that. i cant or wouldnt do that with my kids. they are either dead, drunk, stoned, jailed or too shady. now u cold say it was our choice of pal, but they were just like any other kid when we grew up and had the same choices as us.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

linda 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

O.K so I'm in NZ which might be different, but 3 of our kids have gone back to that hell hole as you call it, and love it, so much so that they will not come back here, and we are getting ready to go back.
The youngest wanted a good education, she is our clever one, and the middle one was on a flight back 1 week after finishing her skin cancer treatment, she is 17. Nowhere is perfect. Just hoping that we will not spoil all their fun when we get there, and they change their minds again, but we have pasports, will travel.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 12:01 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

There are still alot of good bits left in Scotland, we came from one. Im afraid world over no where is perfect. Christ some folk think NZ is heaven... until they get here and realise it has the same issues as Scotland, or UK in general. Its just that NZ has a smaller population and thats why it dosent seem as bad, from the outside. Give me good old scottish/british humour any day.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 12:48 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

2001 Australian Bureau of Statistics data on accidental opioid overdose deaths
The 2001 Australian Bureau of Statistics data on accidental opioid overdose deaths was released 12 December.

There were a total of 306 deaths attributed to opioids in 2001 among those aged 15 to 44 years
.................................................. ..............................................

Tasmania is one of the world's major suppliers of licit opiate products; government maintains strict controls over areas of opium poppy cultivation and output of poppy straw concentrate

.................................................. ...............................................

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3599312.stm Deaths from drug use drop sharply

The number of drug-related deaths in Scotland has dropped sharply, figures have shown.
Statistics compiled by Scotland's eight police forces were down from 311 fatalities in 2002, to 226 in 2003.

.................................................. ................

Same sh*te all over the world, drugs are a major prob, same scourge of the earth in most countries ..Move to a country like Singapore ,which has the death penalty for drugs if you want lower drug abuse , don't move to Australia, Britain, USA, Canada, France, Germany, NZ, S.Africa, and on, and on ,and on ->
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 12:57 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

All external causes deaths, Australia 1995

Testosterone, Alcohol and Petrol are a deadly cocktail for the young. Late teenage males are prone to virtually unpredictable sudden short duration melancholy which can lead to suicide.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 1:19 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting..also this chart shows that men are more likely to die from injury related causes in the age range 20-24 than at any other age until they are in their 70s
Attached Thumbnails Get me out this hell hole!-deaths.gif  
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 1:59 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Most men are likely to die before women, they don't live as long as their stronger counterparts.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 2:58 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
Most men are likely to die before women, they don't live as long as their stronger counterparts.

More like their wives drain the life from them...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.