Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Get to know people and have a ball

Get to know people and have a ball

Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:56 am
Just Joined

ozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant future
Smile Get to know people and have a ball

I found it really hard to meet people when I first came to Perth. Then I discovered drumming in a Samba band. Its brilliant fun and you dont have to have any musical background - all I'd ever done was play recorder badly at school. We say if you can count to 4 you can drum. A great bunch of people of all ages and backgrounds. I know of 5 bands in Perth, and I'm pretty sure they'll be in all the cities.
I joined the Sambanistas www.sambanistas.com
Its free to join, you dont have to buy any instruments, and we are community group who play at community events as well as private or corporate functions, and do occasional free public workshops to give people a chance to have a go. Rehearsals are Tues 7-9pm and Sat 2:30 - 4:30pm and 1st Saturday of the month is for beginners, and people who just want to try it out. Dont know if all the other bands are free, but if you fancy taking out all the stresses of life by banging a drum, a bell, snare, or Tamborim and playing Brazillian samba music you can check it out!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:12 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get to know people and have a ball

Originally Posted by ozbound2
I found it really hard to meet people when I first came to Perth. Then I discovered drumming in a Samba band. Its brilliant fun and you dont have to have any musical background - all I'd ever done was play recorder badly at school. We say if you can count to 4 you can drum. A great bunch of people of all ages and backgrounds. I know of 5 bands in Perth, and I'm pretty sure they'll be in all the cities.
I joined the Sambanistas www.sambanistas.com
Its free to join, you dont have to buy any instruments, and we are community group who play at community events as well as private or corporate functions, and do occasional free public workshops to give people a chance to have a go. Rehearsals are Tues 7-9pm and Sat 2:30 - 4:30pm and 1st Saturday of the month is for beginners, and people who just want to try it out. Dont know if all the other bands are free, but if you fancy taking out all the stresses of life by banging a drum, a bell, snare, or Tamborim and playing Brazillian samba music you can check it out!
I really love the sound of your organisation but I live down in Dawesville south of Mandurah. I would love to get involved or take up Salsa dancing again but I have yet to find anything like that around here.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:10 am
Just Joined

ozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Get to know people and have a ball

Yeah that would be quite a trek as we rehearse at City Farm in East Perth. Tho we do have members from all over - Mundaring, Rockingham, and far northern suburbs...and of course you'd be really welcome.
I'm not sure where Wasamba rehearse could check their website. The others I know of are northern suburbs - Joondalup and Bassendean..though someone did say that there are more new Samba groups out there so may be something further south. ..and if there isnt yet hey maybe soon! good luck hope you find something