Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Get british citizen ship for baby born in Australia

Get british citizen ship for baby born in Australia

Old Apr 11th 2007, 2:44 am
Just Joined

gareth_williams51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Get british citizen ship for baby born in Australia

My son was born recently in Australia and I'm trying to work out how to get him dual citizenship and passports, I checked the british high commission website but it wasn;t that clear, any ideas would be appreciated. I heard a rumour it had to be done within a few days?????? thanks
Old Apr 11th 2007, 2:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get british citizen ship for baby born in Australia

Originally Posted by gareth_williams51
My son was born recently in Australia and I'm trying to work out how to get him dual citizenship and passports, I checked the british high commission website but it wasn;t that clear, any ideas would be appreciated. I heard a rumour it had to be done within a few days??????
The lesson then is don't listen to rumours as what you have heard is wrong. There are time limits in certain instances but not a few days.

You'll get more meaningful advice if you answer the following:

1. Is at least one of the child's parents born or naturalised in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man?

2. Is at least one of the child's parents an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen?
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

When our baby is born I can answer Yes to No. 1 but we wont get our citizenship til later in the year... Once we become citizens will this mean our baby can have dual citizenship, and therefore two passports?

Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
When our baby is born I can answer Yes to No. 1 but we wont get our citizenship til later in the year... Once we become citizens will this mean our baby can have dual citizenship, and therefore two passports?
If you are permanent residents your (Australia-born) child will be an Australian citizen by birth (but will need a citizenship certificate to prove it).
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ, do we get a citizenship certificate when we register the birth?

Sorry for yet another question.....
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:08 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bridie
Thanks JAJ, do we get a citizenship certificate when we register the birth?
No.

All Australia born children get a birth certificate even if they are not Australian citizens. So, for children born since 20 August 1986, the birth certificate proves nothing about citizenship.

You apply for a citizenship certificate on form 119 and pay a fee of A$55:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks JAJ
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:08 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

My daughter has permanent residency but isn't an Australian citizen, while my son-in-law is. When my grand-daughter was born recently, I rang the British High Commission and was told that we don't need to do anything about registration as a British citizen until she needs a passport. Until then, she is recognised as having dual citizenship.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

By the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really niceBy the Avon is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheCrone
My daughter has permanent residency but isn't an Australian citizen, while my son-in-law is. When my grand-daughter was born recently, I rang the British High Commission and was told that we don't need to do anything about registration as a British citizen until she needs a passport. Until then, she is recognised as having dual citizenship.
We're in exactly the same position, I'm under the impression that since my hubby is an australian citizen and I'm a PR then our son is a dual citizen, he has an australian birth certificate and an australian passport and that all we have to do to get british one is apply for his british passport.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

our baby was born in Feb to us as dual Brits/Aussies.

Hubby previously had only Brit passport (and birth cert) but was born overseas. I looked up the British consular website, which can be googled, and found we could apply for a Brit passport for our daugher against me as the British born mother.

Aussie passport came back in a week, but 2 weeks later I have heard nothing from UK consulate...and they have all my original documents including my passport!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:05 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Until then? After then too - her getting a British passport will have no effect on her Australian citizenship. (And I don't think that she needs to be 'registered' as a British citizen - she is one (assuming that at least one of her parents is a British citizen otherwise than by descent).)

It would be advisable, though, for her parents to get her a British passport sooner rather than later, since all the details and paperwork are to hand now: it might be not so easy in a few years' time.