Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Geraldton, WA --Whats it like there ?

Geraldton, WA --Whats it like there ?

Old Jan 17th 2004, 1:26 pm

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Geraldton, WA --Whats it like there ?

whats geraldton like in western australia,

anybody been ?

let me know please

cheers

kev
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:57 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geraldton, WA --Whats it like there ?

Originally posted by kevpreece

anybody been ?

let me know please

cheers

kev
Been as a child. My parents nearly bought the S-bend caravan park, to the south. But I think they realised it's wasn't going to work(financially)

I see Geraldton as a passing by place when going up north. If on holiday I wouldn't stop there.
I also see it as a 'small', 'boring' town, where mostly only people who have always been there live, and maybe people who's job takes them there.
If I was going to live in a small town, I'd live a bit closer to Perth, and also to the south (that's probably mainly because I lived down south before, but also because I prefer a bit more trees, green, and hills.)

Now, please remember this is my personal view (see my profile and signature for details about me).
It all depends on what YOU are looking for (maybe you can be a bit more specific?) and also what job you would be looking for. It also depends on your ability to cope with heat, and also being remote. But it's all relative, and depends on what you are comparing with (eg, UK, Perth, Sydney or Port Hedland !!)

Hope I've helped
Best to give a few more details
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:44 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Simone82
Been as a child. My parents nearly bought the S-bend caravan park, to the south. But I think they realised it's wasn't going to work(financially)

I see Geraldton as a passing by place when going up north. If on holiday I wouldn't stop there.
I also see it as a 'small', 'boring' town, where mostly only people who have always been there live, and maybe people who's job takes them there.
If I was going to live in a small town, I'd live a bit closer to Perth, and also to the south (that's probably mainly because I lived down south before, but also because I prefer a bit more trees, green, and hills.)

Now, please remember this is my personal view (see my profile and signature for details about me).
It all depends on what YOU are looking for (maybe you can be a bit more specific?) and also what job you would be looking for. It also depends on your ability to cope with heat, and also being remote. But it's all relative, and depends on what you are comparing with (eg, UK, Perth, Sydney or Port Hedland !!)

Hope I've helped
Best to give a few more details
Hi

When I was in WA in the summer we stopped in Geraldton on the way up to Shark bay.
It was nice enough but not somewhere that grabbed me at all, in my opinion there are definitely nicer places in WA. But Simone is right it all depends on what you are after. There seemed to be alot of housing around the outskirts, but the place itself wasn't very exciting.

That probably doesn't help at all does it!! Sorry!! Probably the reason I can't remember specifics is that it wasn't that great!
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

bob1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

i completely agree with the first reply. i've spent nearly a year in the mid west area on and off and geraldton really isn't anything to get excited about. it's very small, very backward and isolated. the other thing is that the people defently have the typical 'small town' attitude. this has it's plus sides because they are all so friendly but, with out wanting to sound too rude, they do tend to be very backward thinking, stuck in their ways and often can't see futher than the ends of their noses. this is mainly because anyone who lived there that doesn't feel like this has left. i know this sounds harsh and i don't really mean it to be. the people are lovely and very kind but personally i need more than that. but again thats just my personal preferance

good luck
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:20 pm

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody been ?

let me know please

cheers

kev

thanks all,

i think i will give that place a miss and leave it off my agenda.

cheers

kev
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:35 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Why were you asking about it Kev? Someone offering you a job there, start a business or just visiting on a holiday??
Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

anybody been ?

let me know please

cheers

kev
If you're in to windsurfing, it's paradise.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

mercedes1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kev,

I'm glad someone mentioned the windsurfing, coz that is what Geraldton is about.

My friends are there as they met windsurfing and just got involved in a business so stayed.

Thats why I'm headed there. And it has a suitable college.

Apart from that , I'd agree with the others . There ain't too much about the place.

Kalbarrie is certainly worth seeing but not living in !

My favourite place in the whole world - Perth. Just a nice size town with plenty restaurants and things to do . Plus brilliant beaches and the weather too.
Hopefully thats where I'll end up !

yes, it depends what you want to do.

Merc
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:54 pm
Go Banana's !!

Aunty lives in Geraldton - well on a farm about 30 mins outside - Geraldton is their nearest town, if you can call it that. Not alot to do there.
However they are currently dredging the sea bed so that larger vessles can dock - such as liners. Talk is to buy propery there and make a killing - but hey what do I know I just make soup all day !

Jill

Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:47 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

However they are currently dredging the sea bed so that larger vessles can dock - such as liners.
It`s already been finished......

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au...C?opendocument