Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Geraldton WA whats it like?

Geraldton WA whats it like?

Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Geraldton WA whats it like?

I am looking for some local knowledge.

I have just been offered a position in Geraldton, now I know nothing about the area apart from what I have seen on websites. I lived in Busselton for a while and I liked it alot so if comparisons could be made to there that would be great.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:51 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Geraldton WA whats it like?

Originally Posted by edie209

I have just been offered a position in Geraldton, now I know nothing about the area apart from what I have seen on websites. I lived in Busselton for a while and I liked it alot so if comparisons could be made to there that would be great.
Full of drug *****ed bogans with racial issues(the town not the bogans).Give it a miss.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan but a lot of people like it. It's certainly growing rapidly.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible place I think all Brits should avoid it

Cant be that bad Ive managed nearly 6 years and the town now has quite a few workers from UK, Europe etc.
Private high school has quite a few UK teachers, Hospital also has a lot of UK & European workers. Doctors in town are mostly Irish, UK, German, Dutch,South African etc.
Think other workers now such as Train drivers,mine workers etc.

But it is quite a way from Perth so not the entertainment capital of WA!
So some may get bored.

One thing housing is expensiver due to mine workers and the fairytale that many locals believe -Oakajee Port!

Gems
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 2:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Busselton - quiet (busier in summer with tourists), retains a bit of 'country town', laid back, limited 'night life', comparatively mild weather, low crime rate.
Geraldton - busy, small city with attendant higher crime rate, more choice of night life, hot as hell in summer.

Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Busselton - quiet (busier in summer with tourists), retains a bit of 'country town', laid back, limited 'night life', comparatively mild weather, low crime rate.
Geraldton - busy, small city with attendant higher crime rate, more choice of night life, hot as hell in summer.

Out of curiosity, what does "Attendant higher crime rate" mean? Is it just Higher crime rate, or something different?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:50 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Out of curiosity, what does "Attendant higher crime rate" mean? Is it just Higher crime rate, or something different?
RAC reveals worst regional suburbs for property crime

“The Geraldton suburbs of Rangeway and Spalding continuously rank highly in RAC crime analysis which sends a clear message that more needs to be done to combat crime in those areas,” he said.

“Geraldton suburbs make up half of the worst 10, which is unacceptable, and Rangeway has the highest combined frequency in the State, including the metropolitan area.

http://rac.com.au/About-Us/Media/Med...rty-crime.aspx
Old Mar 24th 2013, 4:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was comparing the two places as the OP asked. Busselton, relatively quiet town, low crime rate, Geraldton, busy small city, higher crime rate that goes with that. I may have spelled attendant incorrectly, I'd only had one coffee
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I don't mean to take the thread off topic, it's just that I haven't heard the expression "Attendant higher crime rate" before, only "higher crime rate". I just wanted to know what it means.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:47 pm
Concierge

I don't mean to take the thread off topic, it's just that I haven't heard the expression "Attendant higher crime rate" before, only "higher crime rate". I just wanted to know what it means.

I get you now (had more coffee)
Attendant, adjective: coming with a stated thing or resulting from it, i.e. a city comes with a higher crime rate, compared with a smaller town.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still doesn't make any sense why it would need to be worded that way. I suppose being Scottish means my English is sh*te.....
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Re: Ballys link:
http://rac.com.au/About-Us/Media/Med...rty-crime.aspx

Yes Spalding and Rangeway are awful. But its very unlikely you would choose to live on these estates. The others on the list are actually small estates next to Spalding and Rangeway. All basically the same area/side of town.

The decent areas are usually a couple of kms away.
Basically I have been here several years and had no reason to visit these areas so it does not affect us. Nothing in these areas to warrant a visit, unless like my son you are visiting a friend.

You need to keep it in context, every city and town whether it be Perth or UK has a rough estate.

But personally I have not encountered any trouble, and have seen far worse back in the UK.

My main concern would be not crime but boredom, especially if you have teens or in your 20s.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:40 am
Concierge

Still doesn't make any sense why it would need to be worded that way. I suppose being Scottish means my English is sh*te.....

Stone the crows! People write the way they write, end of story!! Now awa' and boil ye heid!!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:17 am
My hovercraft is full of

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Now awa' and boil ye heid!!
And go down to yer local chippy and get yer laughing gear round one of these.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19463119
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies... I think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.