Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Geraldton/Exmouth areas? Can anyone advise?....

Geraldton/Exmouth areas? Can anyone advise?....

Old Jun 27th 2006, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of
Default Geraldton/Exmouth areas? Can anyone advise?....

Hi Folks

We were planning on moving to Perth but some friends of family have said they know people both in Geraldton and Exmouth and apparently it's lovely up there. My hubby's an industrial sparky so wondered if anyone knew a)what it was like up there, b)if there would be any work etc etc. I'd be grateful for comments! They also said it was a bit cheaper, but then i'm not sure what life would be like there! Help would be appreciated!

JosieJ

Old Jun 27th 2006, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [B]Geraldton/Exmouth areas? Can anyone advise?....[/B]

Originally Posted by JosieJ
Hi Folks

We were planning on moving to Perth but some friends of family have said they know people both in Geraldton and Exmouth and apparently it's lovely up there. My hubby's an industrial sparky so wondered if anyone knew a)what it was like up there, b)if there would be any work etc etc. I'd be grateful for comments! They also said it was a bit cheaper, but then i'm not sure what life would be like there! Help would be appreciated!

JosieJ

IN MY VIEW - I would end up severely depressed in Geraldton. It is 5 hours north of Perth and essentially a small fishing town.

I recently spent some time there and wasn't impressed. Even the Perth people I was with said that it was extremely parochial.

Unless you really like this type of place I wouldn't even consider it.

Exmouth - beautiful area but it must have limited employment.
Isn't there about 5 people, a dolphin and 3 dingoes in the whole district?
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
IN MY VIEW - I would end up severely depressed in Geraldton. It is 5 hours north of Perth and essentially a small fishing town.

I recently spent some time there and wasn't impressed. Even the Perth people I was with said that it was extremely parochial.

Unless you really like this type of place I wouldn't even consider it.

Exmouth - beautiful area but it must have limited employment.
Isn't there about 5 people, a dolphin and 3 dingoes in the whole district?
Thanks for the advice, i think we'll scrub them off the list!!! We'll stick to more the perth area i think and sw!

JosieJ
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:54 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I been to Exmouth as a tourist, but no way would I consider living up there. Yes I would love the fantastic diving and whaleshark swims, which is a big attraction to tourists. It also has an American navy base there. I don't know if there are any other big employment sectors in the area, but would take a guess that these would be the main 2.

The thing that struck me about its remoteness were some locals talking about a shopping trip to PERTH. That is 20 hours away by coach
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geraldton/Exmouth areas? Can anyone advise?....

JayDeee used be on forum and ived up there running the backpackers in Geraldton with her husband, whose family also lived there. Do some searches for her posts. She is now back in the UK. Hevs also knows Geraldton well if you want more info. From what Kala (JayDeee) used to say, very much a backwater, groceries very expensive, and a small town mentality - everyone knows your business.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
JayDeee used be on forum and ived up there running the backpackers in Geraldton with her husband, whose family also lived there. Do some searches for her posts. She is now back in the UK. Hevs also knows Geraldton well if you want more info. From what Kala (JayDeee) used to say, very much a backwater, groceries very expensive, and a small town mentality - everyone knows your business.
I was thinking about her when I was writing my post. And trie dto remember the name of teh backpackers when I was in Geraldton. Why did she return to the UK?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:16 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Why did she return to the UK?
I think she discovered Geraldton was a truly awful place to live/run a business. She got robbed on an almost daily basis and the police did nothing.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:11 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I think she discovered Geraldton was a truly awful place to live/run a business. She got robbed on an almost daily basis and the police did nothing.
No, I think the relationship ended.
Her partner was from Geraldton.

Geraldton is not all bad. She was in the centre of town, and that was bad.
It's as big as Bunbury at least, so it's not a very small town.
Anyway, I would'nt live there, it's a bit too isolated, and I like the southwest.

Exmouth is mostly just a tourist town, and even more isolated.

Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:15 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Kala / JayDee had very bad experiences there and I believe it led her to abandon Australia and go back to Crawley.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

My word everyone - thanks so much for all the info!!!! It's definately back to Perth Met or SW for us! Thanks again!!!

JosieJ
x