British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Geo jobs in Perth? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/geo-jobs-perth-774936/)

Mez88 Oct 17th 2012 8:55 pm

Geo jobs in Perth?

Hi,

I am looking to move out to Perth from the UK with my fiancee in early 2013. Hopefully to get a job and sponsership for a good few years at least.

I have a degree in Geology, MSc in Environmental Geology and by the time I look to move will have had about a years experience as a geotechnical engineer on a large site in the UK, with significant experience in borehole logging (mainly superficials).

I have heard geo jobs are becoming more difficult to get in Perth, so is it advisable to secure work before I leave, or take the risk that there will be jobs available. I have friends in Perth who have said it's easy to get good jobs, but they left nearly a year ago.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Siren & Brian Oct 18th 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Geo jobs in Perth?

Dunno what you are hearing but my daughter works for mining companys and keeping Geos is hard. So many offers, getting head hunted, offered bonuses to stay etc

Mez88 Oct 18th 2012 6:22 pm

Really!? Things I have been hearing over here are that many geo's are being laid off and its much harder to get work than a couple of years ago.
Would it be too risky to go out on a working holiday visa and try and find work when i'm there?

jimbo_d Oct 19th 2012 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Mez88 (Post 10336147)
Hi,

I am looking to move out to Perth from the UK with my fiancee in early 2013. Hopefully to get a job and sponsership for a good few years at least.

I have a degree in Geology, MSc in Environmental Geology and by the time I look to move will have had about a years experience as a geotechnical engineer on a large site in the UK, with significant experience in borehole logging (mainly superficials).

I have heard geo jobs are becoming more difficult to get in Perth, so is it advisable to secure work before I leave, or take the risk that there will be jobs available. I have friends in Perth who have said it's easy to get good jobs, but they left nearly a year ago.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Go for it on a WHV, worst thing that can happen is you can't find work and go work in a pub. There's a big shakedown in mining at the moment, doesn't mean the end of the world though

Tramps_mate Oct 19th 2012 1:50 pm

Geo's are being laid off in massive numbers. I know lots that have 3-5-7 years of core experience and they can't get work as there's very few jobs..

Mez88 Oct 19th 2012 5:39 pm

Hmm that's what i've been hearing. We both have pretty good jobs here so would prefer not quitting them and knowing that jobs are scarce.

Thanks for the info though guys. Does anyone know much about environmental jobs in Perth metro and the surrounds area?

Tramps_mate Oct 19th 2012 11:11 pm

To be honest if you are ok at the moment I wouldn't come to Aus. Maybe give it another year until mining sorts itself out.