Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Genuine skills shortage Brisbane

Genuine skills shortage Brisbane

Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Genuine skills shortage Brisbane

Anyone work in an area where there is a shortage of suitable candidates? I've been working in IT for 20+ years and am having no luck applying for roles - I've been told i'm too 'experienced' which i'm assuming is shorthand for 'too old' (nearly 50). Anyhow, I'm missing working, and thinking of retraining - I don't need to earn megabucks, but can't afford to retrain if I'm likely to stay unemployed - have considered health and safety - there seems to be quite a few roles available - any ideas anyone? (Not cab driving, too scared of BNE traffic!)
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:29 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Genuine skills shortage Brisbane

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Anyone work in an area where there is a shortage of suitable candidates? I've been working in IT for 20+ years and am having no luck applying for roles - I've been told i'm too 'experienced' which i'm assuming is shorthand for 'too old' (nearly 50). Anyhow, I'm missing working, and thinking of retraining - I don't need to earn megabucks, but can't afford to retrain if I'm likely to stay unemployed - have considered health and safety - there seems to be quite a few roles available - any ideas anyone? (Not cab driving, too scared of BNE traffic!)
Well short of retraining for HR (they certainly seem to need better quality there) have you thought of looking at the wanted ads to see what is currently in demand?

SCADA people seem to be in demand, particularly in the resources sector, and its not too big s step from general IT.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of

What area of IT are you in? We are moving over next year andmy husband has also circa 20 years IT experience.

Mav
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I thought of HR as I do have some resource management experience - mostly project and change management. But am concerned that like IT this is seen as a 'young people's' game.
One issue here is industry experience - don't have the utilities/coal exposure and these seem to be the major demand areas in Brisbane - So there seem to be a lot of roles but unless you are an exact fit to the spec with direct industry experience, it seems you won't be considered even where you're more than willing to retrain/take a lower salary etc.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:47 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

'Skills shortage' is a term that Australian employers like to use when they're too lazy to go through a reasonable recruit+train process.

You're absolutely right, if you dont have the EXACT match of skills and experience they're looking for employers around here tend to be blinkered into thinking you must be useless. It seems to be a widespread phenomenon and I like to blame increasingly targetted vocational eductations. Nobody expects a candiate to be flexible and be capable of leanring a skill any more - if you dont have a degree in "Budget Footwear Retail Management" you cant possibly be capable of working in a cheap shoe shop (even if you have a degree in "Budget Clothing Retail Management" - clearly thats far too general and you wont have the skills required ).

The net effect of this as far as I can see if 'job interview inflation' where instead of presenting an accurate reflection of yourself in your CV and at interview and using your powers of persuation to point out how you can leverage some of your existing skills to help learn what required for a role - you simply have to over-exagerate your experience so what they hear is "I"VE DONE THIS EXACT JOB BEFORE".

The problem, of course is that everybody out there is now doing this and so as an employer its getting tough to tell who's ACTUALLY done what and lots of people get employed into jobs that dont suit. (We have to let someone go this week after 2 months because actually he clearly doesnt have the skills he said he'd been using in his last job for 12 months and seems unwilling to try and learn anything new).

Cant offer much in the way of constructive advice - but good luck anyway!

ETA: Dont suppose you want a job as a 1st/2nd level basic tech support for ~$40k +super, based in inner Northern Suburbs and with perks like a 20% discount at KFC?... (Our target candidate would typically be a uni-leaver at the start of their career but since that hasnt worked out well for us recently so could be time to broaden the horizons!)

Last edited by DadAgain; Oct 11th 2011 at 10:51 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Electrical engineering - any level, any field
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I thought of HR as I do have some resource management experience - mostly project and change management. But am concerned that like IT this is seen as a 'young people's' game.
One issue here is industry experience - don't have the utilities/coal exposure and these seem to be the major demand areas in Brisbane - So there seem to be a lot of roles but unless you are an exact fit to the spec with direct industry experience, it seems you won't be considered even where you're more than willing to retrain/take a lower salary etc.
Note, SCADA seems to be a route into the resources sector, even if you've no direct experience. What you do need is experience with specific PLCs.

See http://mycareer.com.au/jobs/brisbane...enhanced&s=102 as an example, and the pathetic cry to pass it on.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Barista?

places everywhere looking for them.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:16 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

For 90k they will not get senior quality.
Originally Posted by GarryP
Note, SCADA seems to be a route into the resources sector, even if you've no direct experience. What you do need is experience with specific PLCs.

See http://mycareer.com.au/jobs/brisbane...enhanced&s=102 as an example, and the pathetic cry to pass it on.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I thought of OH&S - there seems to be good money in it. Have you tried contracting? wiht IT there are contracts out there they just take a little bit longer to get I have found but once you start, its a small market so you get to know people.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:29 am

Primavera planners can get a good wadge. You just need to be willing to work in the back @rse of nowhere.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Primavera planners can get a good wadge. You just need to be willing to work in the back @rse of nowhere.
I use Primavera but I'd prefer a vadge
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:58 am

I guess those with one in mining areas could earn some using it.
Originally Posted by Amazulu
I use Primavera but I'd prefer a vadge
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DadAgain
The net effect of this as far as I can see if 'job interview inflation' where instead of presenting an accurate reflection of yourself in your CV and at interview and using your powers of persuation to point out how you can leverage some of your existing skills to help learn what required for a role - you simply have to over-exagerate your experience so what they hear is "I"VE DONE THIS EXACT JOB BEFORE".
I think you've hit the nail on the head - constructive criticism from Aussie IT friends tells me 'I undersell myself' I thought I was portraying my skills honestly, but think I need to put in some more bullshit. Might explain why relatively inexperienced people seem to get key/senior roles in IT positions, there is a tendency to punch above your weight here and I haven't been playing.
O.K next application I'm going to over-exagerate for England!!!