Wikiposts

General moan

Old May 9th 2003, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: General moan

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You good people do cheer me up no end , a buyers market in the UK sounds good to me.

It may become a buyers market, but even at reduced prices, still too many pennies, er no thanks ...

Welcome the land of a 50 year mortgage,
Old May 9th 2003, 9:35 am
Just Joined

bozzy's is an unknown quantity at this point
Default things are looking up !

Hi Paul and Steph

I posted last week when i was feeling jittery over our house for sale.

I phoned the estate agents last friday and reduced the price by 10k. I had 3 viewers over the weekend and one couple have made an offer today!!!

We fly out to perth on the 11th July but they are not in a chain.

Fingers crossed things go well cos you never know untill contracts are exchanged.

Good luck to all in the same position

Andrea
Old May 9th 2003, 9:51 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I know what you mean about worrying that the house wont sell...
Our neighbours said they wanted our house 11 weeks or so ago ...I panicked then and said yeah but we cant move till at least july..hmmph...well they havent b**y sold theirs yet!! so we're going to have to put it on the merket now anyway...

We really want to leave the uk by mid august but i think weve not got a hope in hell now...
gotta validate or enter oz for good on 3rd october!!!!!!!!!!!!

ho hum...everything comes to those who wait eh??
Old May 9th 2003, 10:04 am
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw an intriguing ad in the property pages today. Basically it said you could sell your house in 7 days....GUARANTEED!.

Fox and Sons estate agents were advertising so I gave them a ring. The scheme is via a company called PXS. They have 2 independant valuers look at your house and then offer you 90% of the value. If they then subsequently sell the house on for 13% over the value (figure the odds!) you get a further 60% of the profit.

Should we bite the bullet and take a 10% drop?
Is the housing market going to dive?
Should we just hang in there?

Thoughts and comments much appreciated.

Steph
Old May 11th 2003, 8:19 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Sounds interesting. Is PXS a separate company or is part of Fox and Sons? We are in Gloucester and we do not have that agent here. I might give them a ring myself tomorrow to find out more ....

Thanks for info - Dawn.
Old May 11th 2003, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

10% of value. Ouch! couldn't afford 35K as this is over 20% of our equity. We went on the market on Friday and have had two viewings even before the details were printed - probably just luck.

I don't know why people take offers from purchasers who haven't sold their own - then stop further viewings. Is this naivety or inexperience? Register their interest and carry on with showing others around.

Having bought and sold a number of times you really cannot gamble on folk who are not in very strong positions to move in eight weeks. When I get a buyer I will investigate them thoroughly, and probably get friends to check out buying their house - just to be sure that it is sold and off the market.

And don't even get me on the subject off cash purchasers, or those without a house to sell. They may not be able to get a mortgage, or change their minds as less pressure is upon them.
Old May 11th 2003, 1:57 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
Now, now PB, let's not start gloating. How about a deal - you don't , and then we don't when you get back over here and realise you've made the biggest mistake of your life!!

Andy

Yeah dream on the pound failing against the rubber dollar and you mugs stuck with over priced homes , while the market here is rising and interest rates lower in the UK , Oh woe is me.

Old May 11th 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default house selling

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dmf
how about putting your house with a property manager and renting it out for a while - then you don't have to delay your move
Best of Luck
Old May 14th 2003, 4:24 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mashiraz
We also founbd the house selling bit really fustrating. Didn'want to sell before got visa, but so impatient when we put it on the market. I think we got carried away by the hype that houses were selling within minutes at £10k over the asking price.

I think this year the market has slowed, loads of people have put theirs on the market so it's nearly back to being a buyers market. Supply and demand. Be realistic with your price and do the house doctor stuff. Strange thing, but I put some yellow flowers in pots either side of the front door and we sold the house that week. It works!

Get your self listed on loads of web pages, where you can add links to the detalis. Put it in Loot. Market it yourself, even if it doesn't work, at least it puts you back in command.

Best of luck
Mash...
I think that's pretty good advice. You could also think about an auction - best way to get it sold for sure within 30 days, you can set a limit price too.

Cheers - Don
Old May 14th 2003, 9:18 am
Just Joined

jayneT is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy us too!

Hi

We know exactly how you feel our house has been on the market since the end of February with only one viewing. I can't believe that the market has just ground to a complete standstill. The prices in our area are not dropping at all but no-one is buying houses. Flats still seem to be selling though. Paul McCartney has just bought a house down the road ... could have bought my house, I would have let him

I just guess we have to hang on in there. Looking on the bright side interest rates may have gone up again by the time we sell them.

Best of luck. Jayne.
Old May 14th 2003, 9:38 am
Finally made it

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I think that's pretty good advice. You could also think about an auction - best way to get it sold for sure within 30 days, you can set a limit price too.

Cheers - Don
Now that's an option I hadn't even considered. Definitely worth looking into.

Thanks Don
Old May 14th 2003, 11:53 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: us too!

Originally posted by jayneT
Hi

We know exactly how you feel our house has been on the market since the end of February with only one viewing. I can't believe that the market has just ground to a complete standstill. The prices in our area are not dropping at all but no-one is buying houses. Flats still seem to be selling though. Paul McCartney has just bought a house down the road ... could have bought my house, I would have let him

I just guess we have to hang on in there. Looking on the bright side interest rates may have gone up again by the time we sell them.

Best of luck. Jayne.
Love it you people are are full of good news a soft housing market in the UK and a booming one here , oh happy days.

Old May 14th 2003, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Just trying to make everybody feel better about their predicaments, We have had our 457's since Jan, we sold the house in Oct 2002-fell through chain- Sold the house in Jan fell throgh-buyer took the piss! Although the survey came back 100% and we already knocked off 2.5 grand, he wanted another 3 grand off, up yours was the reply-wanted to rip his head off!Sold the house again 3rd time lucky? Seems everything is going okay at the moment!

May- Problem with the sponsorhip, Sponsor says they have no work for my partner as a Radiographer,trying to sort out another sponsor!

There Paul&Steph, I bet you feel better already! Patience Grasshopper you will get there in the end!!

Good Luck!!
Gary
Old May 14th 2003, 10:08 pm
Finally made it

Cheers Gary

Hope all your problems are resolved quickly. We'll get there in the end I know. It's just so frustrating having the visa in the passport and not being able to use it yet. We had to wait 2 yrs to get it!

Good news yesterday in the press and on local radio was how prices are predicted to rise again, not fall further. Hope anyone looking to buy decides to get on with it instead of waiting.

Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone waiting.

Steph
Old May 14th 2003, 10:51 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Paul and Steph - I have sent you a PM
Dawn