British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   General advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/general-advice-917598/)

sammy89 Sep 23rd 2018 3:23 pm

General advice

Hello everybody I’m just packing to go on a years working holiday in Oz I’m going to be rural and remote working as a nurse both in the community and in accident and emergency. Just looking for tips on things I might not have thought to pack such as ID, plug adapters, walking boots etc literally anything I might need that’s expensive in Oz. also dose anybody know if I still need to make national insurance contributions or any other hidden bills I might have forgotten about. All suggestions welcome as it’s my first solo trip and my first time in rural and remote areas. Hope you all had a great weekend x

scot47 Sep 23rd 2018 4:09 pm

Re: General advice

U can probably pay Class 2 NationalIInsurance Check that out Much cheaper

caretaker Sep 23rd 2018 7:26 pm

I read on here years ago that rule #1 is never stick your hand in a hole anywhere, ever.

spuddyo Sep 24th 2018 9:04 pm

Regarding plug adapters, if you have a lot of UK 3 pin plug devices buy a 4-way multi-block from a hardware store there and put an Aussie plug on it when you get here. Much safer and more convenient than loads of crappy travel adapters.

spouse of scouse Sep 25th 2018 12:41 am

An old fashioned notebook with the phone numbers of your contacts (those you want to keep in touch with, anyway). Just in case you lose your phone :)

Pollyana Sep 25th 2018 4:07 am

Originally Posted by sammy89 (Post 12566849)
Hello everybody I’m just packing to go on a years working holiday in Oz I’m going to be rural and remote working as a nurse both in the community and in accident and emergency. Just looking for tips on things I might not have thought to pack such as ID, plug adapters, walking boots etc literally anything I might need that’s expensive in Oz. also dose anybody know if I still need to make national insurance contributions or any other hidden bills I might have forgotten about. All suggestions welcome as it’s my first solo trip and my first time in rural and remote areas. Hope you all had a great weekend x

Scan all your ID docs and nursing certs etc onto a USB stick then you have copies if you need them.
Take theadice above about geting a powerboard, much easier than multi adapters and Aussie rooms aren't known for their proliferation of powerpoints! Bring a couple of portable phone chargers, the sort you recharge then use to recharge your phone when you can't get to a powerpoint. Check any medication you might want and bring what you can, almost certainly cheaper.

If you are only on a WHV don't worry about NI payments.