Geelong update

Old Aug 21st 2004, 6:57 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Geelong update

Hello

I have to first appologise as I have not been near this forum in months. truth be told I am so settled in Australia that I have not felt the need to be here all the time as I did when I was getting ready to emigrate. Here is an update of life since we have moved here in October for anyone who may be interested:

Jobs

Both my husband and I found jobs very easily. I worked as a casual worked in a Telstra call centre. The pay was ok for a 2nd income in a family, and there would have been lots of opportunities for permenant Telstra positions. However I left before that as I am expecting a baby any day now.

My husband is a self employed sub contractor in his field of Carpet Fitting. The money (as with all the building trades) is good and the work is steady.

Taxes

The situation with paying taxes is more complicated that in the UK. However accountants are much cheaper and the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is more than happy to sit down with you and discuss anything you may not understand. As I keep my husband's books I have found this service to be invaluable.

Weather

The weather in Victoria is beautiful. This winter just passed has been the coldest in 6 years and it has not been too bad. The summer after we arrived was not too hot, although there were a few days when it was, but in general I enjoy the weather and would not like tio live anywhere that gets any warmer in the summer.

Houses

We are planning on building our own house and are renting meantime. Houses here are not equiped to deal with the winter, and if your house has only one fire in the living room (common in older rental properties) then you will need to invest in extra heaters for the bedrooms. the house we are in is always freezing in winter, and heats up like an oven in the summer, so a fan is equally necessary for the hotter months. If you build a house make sure it has ducted heating and cooling. Look out for this when looking for a rental property too if you can and are planning on staying in it for more than a few months.

Health Services

You will probably all know that you have to pay to see a doctor here, and then you claim some of this cost back through medicare. The only way round this is to get a doc who will bulk bill but this is a lot harder than it sounds. I pay $47 for a doctors visit and get around $25 back. The doctor is not struggling to see as many patients as possible in a day becuase of this system and is happy to sit and talk through any worries I may have. I love this system.

Public hospitals are free. Our local hospital is 5 years old and pretty much state of the art. I am going to give birth there and cannot praise it highly enough. I obviously cannot comment on older hospitals in other parts of the coutry, but the one here is great. it is so good in fact that we have decided against private health insurance for the moment.

Pubs and Beer

Pubs here are generally rubbish, and the good ones are a rip off. Australian beer is no good, especially VB. you are better off brewing your own if you get the opportunity to go to a U Brew It microbrewery. This allows you to make your own chemical free beer and works out cheaper than buying ready made stuff.

TV

TV here is good if you enjoy The Simpsons, Law and Order, and other American programmes. Australian programmes are not that great, and I really miss good documentaries which are few and far bnetween unless you get Foxtel (digitial TV). There is tons of sport on the telly here. our british TV works although we had to tune it in through an Australian DVD player to get a picture.

Cars

Theer are loads of big American cars over here. If you are a classic car fanatic, Australia is the place to be.

That's all I can think of for just now. Any questions please fire them at me and I will be happy to answer then honestly.

Bye for now

Mel
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geelong update

Hi Mel,
Good to see the return of a former poster! Glad to see things are working out for you. And an Aussie baby in the offing too!!
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:15 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mel

Thanks for that good informative post, sounds like you're well settled

Walla
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hiya Mel
Great to hear that you are well and a baby eh - congratulations

It was really nice to see what you have been doing as I had often wondered what you were up to

Good luck with the baby.

Debsx
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:55 am
Badge

You mention tax accountants which got me thinking:

There is a general consensus that the Australia 'system' (beuracracy etc) is more complicated than the UK but I've noticed that in turn, things are made easier and more 'friendly'...eg the whole vehicle licensing thing seems more approchable and user friendly in Australia than at DVLA in the UK, (you can't just walk into DVLA), more taxes, but cheaper accountants..I find govt websites 'friendlier' and more relevant here than in the UK. I find UK agencies always seem to overcomplicate things - over here there is a one stop shop for things..

Could be wrong, just a feeling I have. So in the main I have never had a problem with the red tape over here. I think its partly having recently married and not having a family I just haven't had to deal with the red tape much and also I have lived away from the UK for years so never noticed it much..one thing for sure buying a house is much simpler here.

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 21st 2004 at 7:57 am.

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:52 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by badgersmount
You mention tax accountants which got me thinking:

There is a general consensus that the Australia 'system' (beuracracy etc) is more complicated than the UK but I've noticed that in turn, things are made easier and more 'friendly'...eg the whole vehicle licensing thing seems more approchable and user friendly in Australia than at DVLA in the UK, (you can't just walk into DVLA), more taxes, but cheaper accountants..I find govt websites 'friendlier' and more relevant here than in the UK. I find UK agencies always seem to overcomplicate things - over here there is a one stop shop for things..

Could be wrong, just a feeling I have. So in the main I have never had a problem with the red tape over here. I think its partly having recently married and not having a family I just haven't had to deal with the red tape much and also I have lived away from the UK for years so never noticed it much..one thing for sure buying a house is much simpler here.

BM
I agree with you on this point!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough

Hi Mel,

We have recently got sponsorship by Geelong for SIR visas,Its great to hear news from someone who is the area we are looking at! How long have you been out there?

Do you have children already-if so how did they find the move?

Where abouts in Geelong are you?

Be great to hear any news or info you can send through!

And who knows could get together for a bbq if we are lucky enough to get out there!

Good luck with the baby!

Bye for now,

Amanda
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:46 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Congratulations on forthcoming arrival, hope all goes well.

Can you tell me what is roughly the average rent for a 3/4 bed house. We're hoping to live in Torquay, but aren't sure whats expensive. Were looking at rentals of approx $300/350 per week, is that alot? In comparison with where we live its really cheap. Also, are there alot of fully furnished rentals about? Not bringing anything major with us, so really need somewhere furnished or we're sleeping on the floors and eating and sitting on the floors too!

Loved Geelong when we were over in October, specially the statues on the sea front. They were great. Cant wait to be back again! Not long hopefully, got TRA and STNI, just waiting for medicals and police checks. And waiting, and waiting and waiting! You know how it is!!

Good luck.

Jo

Last edited by Joanne; Apr 19th 2005 at 10:48 am.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:56 am
Hussy

Hello

sorry I have neglected to answer these queries.

$300 per week is a lot for a rental, we pay only $185 for a 3 bed house in Geelong and Torquay will be more expensive, but I would limit rent to $250 per week there.

Furnished rentals are rare though, you would be lucky to find one.

I am in Belmont, Geelong, but moving to Highton soon. Both lovely areas for anyone considering Geelong, but stay clear of Corio and Norlane as they are not so nice.

Hope this helps

Mel