Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Geelong Area Info required

Geelong Area Info required

Old May 2nd 2006, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of
Default Geelong Area Info required

Hi guys,
Friends of ours have got into Mornington peninsula area on STNI visa. We were hoping to join them but can only get in on SIR visa. Anyone got any feedback/info on Geelong or it's suburbs??
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Pete
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geelong Area Info required

Originally Posted by tofster
Hi guys,
Friends of ours have got into Mornington peninsula area on STNI visa. We were hoping to join them but can only get in on SIR visa. Anyone got any feedback/info on Geelong or it's suburbs??
Cheers
Pete
Firstly you'll appreciate I'm sure that Geelong and Mornington Penisula are a good couple of hours apart by road - Geelong 45 miles to SW of CBD, MP similar to SE of CBD i.e. you have to go right around the horseshoe shaped bay (or catch a ferry).

Geelong is about 1 hr to Melbourne CBD, similar size to say Newcastle (upon Tyne), good range of schools, shops, hospitals etc, housing cheap by Melbourne standards; very popular hinterland - Bellarine Peninsula, Great Ocean Road etc; located on Corio Bay; housing with water views eg Eastern Beach pretty expensive; inland suburbs a lot cheaper.

That'll do for starters!

http://www.intown.com.au/

Do a search in BE's on Geelong, I posted some pics in this thread for eg:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346411

OzTennis
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:04 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

As OzT has said there are a number of previous threads on Geelong ... do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of info ...

For example:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365720
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297087

Best regards.

Hi guys,
Cheers
Pete
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
As OzT has said there are a number of previous threads on Geelong ... do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of info ...

For example:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365720
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297087

Best regards.
I would have mentioned the Bulldogs narrow (lucky) win over the Cats but we got absolutely thrashed by the Crows!

OzTennis
Old May 2nd 2006, 10:18 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

That's very kind of you ... I went to the game and it was excellent, even if the Cats lost (just). The loss isn't so bad against a team that plays running footy in the way the Doggies did.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I would have mentioned the Bulldogs narrow (lucky) win over the Cats but we got absolutely thrashed by the Crows!

OzTennis
Old May 2nd 2006, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
Cheers
Pete

Get in touch with geelong tourist board they send out a fantastic pack with loads of info on Geelong, we've got ours and it's a fantastic pack
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Get in touch with geelong tourist board they send out a fantastic pack with loads of info on Geelong, we've got ours and it's a fantastic pack
Is that the pack which comes in the bio-degradable carrier bag to save the planet? We picked up an excellent bag of goodies near Cunninghame Pier on our last visit. The photos I posted in the other Geelong thread were taken on that (lovely, sunny, August last year) day.

OzTennis
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Dianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to all

Hi guys,
Cheers
Pete

We've been in Grovedale since 11th Feb, it's surburbia but there are a few ex pats around here. Plenty of good schools (I'm told) and amenities, depends on what your're after. We came in on an SIR visa and are both still unemployed, I am in IT and my partner in Sales - there is not as much work as we were led to believe. Also be careful of who you use to ship your stuff, we used Bishops Move and are having a nightmare with them.
Old May 4th 2006, 12:03 am
Migration Agent

Dianne,

Not sure in what area of IT you work - maybe call Barwon Computer Solutions and see what they can offer/suggest ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Dianne
We've been in Grovedale since 11th Feb, it's surburbia but there are a few ex pats around here. Plenty of good schools (I'm told) and amenities, depends on what your're after. We came in on an SIR visa and are both still unemployed, I am in IT and my partner in Sales - there is not as much work as we were led to believe. Also be careful of who you use to ship your stuff, we used Bishops Move and are having a nightmare with them.
Old May 4th 2006, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Dianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Dianne,

Not sure in what area of IT you work - maybe call Barwon Computer Solutions and see what they can offer/suggest ...

Best regards.
Cheers for the info Alan - if you see some of the other threads that'll be me and 150 other IT people blocking their phone lines.