Geelong

Old Aug 25th 2003, 6:22 am
Just Joined

ewok is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Geelong

Hello,
My name is Kerry, and i live in Geelong. I moved here 2 and a quarter years ago and i am very Happy here. I haven't looked around outside Victoria yet so i can't comment on the rest of Australia, but i enjoy living here. It took almost 2 years before i felt settled and got used to the differences from Britain, but there are positives differences as well as negative. If anyone would like to ask anything, feel free.
One thing i will say, is that when i got off the plane in Melbourne, i could understand why people move to Australia and never return. I travelled with my three young children and husband and swore that i would never attempt that journey again.
Nightmare!

Kerry.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Fuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Geelong

Hi Kerry

I am planning on moving to Geelong early next year and was just wondering why you chose there instead of the ever popular Melbourne. Is a quieter city, are the house prices cheaper etc...

Leon
Old Aug 25th 2003, 11:29 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Kerry.

We moved to Geelong from the UK two and a half years ago (we arrived just after Easter 2001) .... whereabouts in Geelong are you?

Best regards.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 11:43 am
tennisoz

Default Geelong

I am a Melburnian, married to a Scot and living in Scotland at present. We go back to Oz every July and always include a day trip to Geelong and the Bellarine Peninsula on our visit. Eastern Beach is magnificent and the bollards (carved wooden figures of lifesavers, 'footy' players etc) are magnificent and a unique tourist attraction. We Melburnians used to call Geelong 'Sleepy Hollow' but it isn't anymore. Just thought I would share that folks.

Old Aug 25th 2003, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kerry,
do you FEEL accepted by the locals? On previous visits to Oz I was nervous of opening my mouth and sounding English but I enjoyed my last visit to Melbourne 18montsh ago and am now seriously considering relocating. I'll be coming over in Nov. for a recce.
Hel
Old Aug 25th 2003, 3:12 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by ewok
Hello,
My name is Kerry, and i live in Geelong. I moved here 2 and a quarter years ago and i am very Happy here. I haven't looked around outside Victoria yet so i can't comment on the rest of Australia, but i enjoy living here. It took almost 2 years before i felt settled and got used to the differences from Britain, but there are positives differences as well as negative. If anyone would like to ask anything, feel free.
One thing i will say, is that when i got off the plane in Melbourne, i could understand why people move to Australia and never return. I travelled with my three young children and husband and swore that i would never attempt that journey again.
Nightmare!

Kerry.
What a refreshingly positive post from a happy ex-pat. We are talking about the same Australia here are'nt we?
Old Aug 25th 2003, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally posted by ewok
Hello,
Nightmare!

Kerry.
I was over in geelong just after xmas for 4 weeks living with relatives loved the place and the beaches near by and the night outs going back there in jan 2004 for a while on my working holiday visa then explore australia.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

The McGintys is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kerry,

We plan to go to Adelaide, even though we have not got our visa yet I'm already dreading the flight with my hectic 2 year old and my 10 month old. Hopefully we will be going in approx 18 months so they will be a little older, (but at the beating each other up age).

How bad was it? and how old were your children at the time?

Cheers
Daihla (a Mummy too)
Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Fuzzy
Hi Kerry

I am planning on moving to Geelong early next year and was just wondering why you chose there instead of the ever popular Melbourne. Is a quieter city, are the house prices cheaper etc...

Leon
Hello Leon

We chose Geelong for loads of reasons. The main one was that my Husband has family in the surrounding areas. We didn't like the idea of living in a big city and it is a huge amount more expensive. The wages are a reasonable amount higher in Melbourne, but not high enough to warrant living there. We live in the suburbs which is quieter, cleaner and friendlier than the city centre, but close enough for all the conveniences. We enjoy visiting Melbourne for shopping etc, but that is all.

Kerry
Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Hello Kerry.

We moved to Geelong from the UK two and a half years ago (we arrived just after Easter 2001) .... whereabouts in Geelong are you?

Best regards.
We live in Belmont. We arrived in May 2001.
Kerry
Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by helinuk
Hi Kerry,
do you FEEL accepted by the locals? On previous visits to Oz I was nervous of opening my mouth and sounding English but I enjoyed my last visit to Melbourne 18montsh ago and am now seriously considering relocating. I'll be coming over in Nov. for a recce.
Hel
Hi Hel,
I do feel accepted by the majority of the locals. You get the odd ENGLISH/SCOTTISH comment but most people i meet are school and Kinder(Nursery) parents. They tend to stick to themselves a lot, but there are plenty of people who have moved from their home Country to talk to. The males are a bit chauvinistic here.

Kerry
Old Aug 29th 2003, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by The McGintys
Hi Kerry,

We plan to go to Adelaide, even though we have not got our visa yet I'm already dreading the flight with my hectic 2 year old and my 10 month old. Hopefully we will be going in approx 18 months so they will be a little older, (but at the beating each other up age).

How bad was it? and how old were your children at the time?

Cheers
Daihla (a Mummy too)
Hello Daihla,

My children were 5 yrs 4 months, 3yrs and 4 months and 4 months old. The older two were very restless from having to sit down. My oldest was travel sick and couldn't eat anything. Though thankfully she wasn't actually sick. They wanted to sleep but were extremely uncomfortable. (Pillows and a blanket would be good) The blanket you are given is horrible. My baby screamed and slept the whole way. Very stressful. It took him three weeks to settle after we arrived. The older 2 took a week.

Kerry