British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   g'day mates, we're back on line!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/gday-mates-were-back-line-256587/)

Nige37 Sep 25th 2004 10:39 pm

Re: g'day mates, we're back on line!!!!!

Hi Rach,

Good to hear your enjoying it so far, hope Chanelle gets settled in school.
Only six weeks and we'll be there. Still can't believe its really happening.
Keep us posted we'd love to hear how you are doing.

Luv Helen

Teresa Sep 26th 2004 12:19 am

Hi Rach

was only thinking about you all last week and where you'd got too!! so pleased you've finally made it (stockbridge meet seems a life time ago now doesn't it :) ), keep us updated with all your news and enjoy your new life :D

lots of love

Teresa xx

nosuchluck Sep 26th 2004 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Swifts
Hi Rach

was only thinking about you all last week and where you'd got too!! so pleased you've finally made it (stockbridge meet seems a life time ago now doesn't it :) ), keep us updated with all your news and enjoy your new life :D

lots of love

Teresa xx

Thanks guys,
the journey here was a long one but believe me once your house in the Uk gets sold your feet won't touch the ground, it goes so quickly and before we knew it the time had come to say goodbye to friends and family. We flew Singapore Airlines from Heathrow to Singapore which was great, we spent two nights in Singapore The New Otani Hotel, which we would thoroughly recommend to everyone. Singapore was great, very humid but great for shopping! Before we booked our flights i'd said to Mark that i didn't want a stopover but believe me i'm so pleased we stopped over, really needed it and didn't suffer with any jet lag at all.
Brisbane is everything we thought it would be, obviously we are still in holiday mode, only been here 2 weeks but so far so good, the people are friendly, the weather is fantastic and we are loving it. Haven't really had time to be bored, so much to do, so much to see.
Driving here takes a bit of getting used to as nobody indicates! also i was told that the police are really hot on speeding so i'm driving everywhere well under the limit! One tip, if coming to Brisbane, get a Refidex as soon as you can as you'll need it (for those that don't know its a map) if we'd have got one sooner we may not have rowed so much and got lost so many times!

We all love it here and at the moment are not missing the uk at all, i'm sure that there will be times when we will feel homesick and as i said its early days but none of us feel (at the mo) that we will ever want to go back to the UK.

It was easy to buy a car, easy to activate our accounts, easy to get Chanelle into school, easy to rent a property, easy to get a Medicare card and TFN! So so far so good!

Will let you know how easy it is for Mark to find work as now his tools have arrrived he can start looking properly.

By the way, my new Rav4 is silver, didn't do a pink one!

Best of luck to all of you that are still on the journey to a new life down here!

hugs Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxxx

tinaj Sep 26th 2004 9:33 am

Originally Posted by nosuchluck
Thanks guys,
the journey here was a long one but believe me once your house in the Uk gets sold your feet won't touch the ground, it goes so quickly and before we knew it the time had come to say goodbye to friends and family. We flew Singapore Airlines from Heathrow to Singapore which was great, we spent two nights in Singapore The New Otani Hotel, which we would thoroughly recommend to everyone. Singapore was great, very humid but great for shopping! Before we booked our flights i'd said to Mark that i didn't want a stopover but believe me i'm so pleased we stopped over, really needed it and didn't suffer with any jet lag at all.
Brisbane is everything we thought it would be, obviously we are still in holiday mode, only been here 2 weeks but so far so good, the people are friendly, the weather is fantastic and we are loving it. Haven't really had time to be bored, so much to do, so much to see.
Driving here takes a bit of getting used to as nobody indicates! also i was told that the police are really hot on speeding so i'm driving everywhere well under the limit! One tip, if coming to Brisbane, get a Refidex as soon as you can as you'll need it (for those that don't know its a map) if we'd have got one sooner we may not have rowed so much and got lost so many times!

We all love it here and at the moment are not missing the uk at all, i'm sure that there will be times when we will feel homesick and as i said its early days but none of us feel (at the mo) that we will ever want to go back to the UK.

It was easy to buy a car, easy to activate our accounts, easy to get Chanelle into school, easy to rent a property, easy to get a Medicare card and TFN! So so far so good!

Will let you know how easy it is for Mark to find work as now his tools have arrrived he can start looking properly.

By the way, my new Rav4 is silver, didn't do a pink one!

Best of luck to all of you that are still on the journey to a new life down here!

hugs Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxxx

Great to here it is all working out for you. Hope I might see you at a meet up one day!

shecha Sep 26th 2004 11:59 am

Hi Rach, Mark & Chanelle,
Really glad to hear you're settling in so well!!!
Also really glad to hear that everything has gone smoothly - renting a house, buying car, school etc..
I'm trying to get the hubby to agree to a stopover in Singapore, but he just wants to get there!! We went with Singapore Airlines in June for a holiday for 3 weeks, and they were a really good airline.
We also went to the Australia Zoo when we were there and it is fab!!!
Yo should definitely go to Sea World on the Goldcoast as well - it's a brilliant day out and I really recommend it!!!
God I can't wait until I'm booking the flights and we're on our way over to Brissie too!!!
I think it's definitely time to change your name on here to 'alltheluck'!!!
Keep us updated of how you're getting on and if you've got any tips about settling in, let us know!
Shell

teach Sep 26th 2004 5:17 pm

Hiya Rach,
Lovely to see you back. Got your e-mail and the photo's are fab. Sent you an e-mail back. Chat soon hun.
Love and hugs
Sarah

arnie2oz Sep 26th 2004 6:18 pm

Hiya Rach, Mark & Chanelle

Great to hear that you've arrived safely, and are settling in well.

We still wait anxiously for our visa and for viewers for the house - but once those minor details ( :D ) are sorted we shall be hot on your heels!!!!

I'll email you in the next couple of days with a full update and response to your thread and brilliant email. Cheers :beer:

Bed Of Roses Sep 26th 2004 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by nosuchluck
hi everyone,
well, i'm back, we're in the Eatons Hill area of Brisbane, in our own rental - 4bed lowset, have bought a Toyota Rav 4 Cruiser, Chanelle is in school they are on Spring hols at the mo so she starts on October 4th! Have had a nightmare with my laptop, Pc World were supposed to fix it before we came out but didn't!!! And yesterday i found that in the area we're renting broadband is not available so i'm back on dial up god its slow!
our shipment arrived Thursday, had a few bits broken so will have to claim back on the insurance.
been to Australia Zoo today and saw the Crocodile Show with Steve Irwin and Terri, great day out
so much to tell you all, if you want to know more then pm me!
Brisbane is great and although we are in holiday mode still we love it here, it feels so much like 'we're home at last'!
Boomie - i've tried to email you but it kept coming back to me mate, pm me please
thanks to everyone on here who helped to make our new lives down under possible
hugs to you all
Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxxx

Well done to you all

Your just in time for summer.....

Long live the holiday mode

Keep us all up 2 date with your goings on.

:beer:

robertd Sep 27th 2004 11:51 am

Dear Rach and family,
Great to hear that you have finally made it over. There seems to be loads of families coming over within a few months of each other. We have already met up with plumber, (Chris and Di) and that was fab. Debsy will be here soon, and she has promised to get in contact so maybe we could try and organise a huge get together. If you`re ever down on the Gold Coast, get in touch. No more drab old Parkstone,hey!!!Take care, Louisa and Rob :)