Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gday everyone from down under

Gday everyone from down under

Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:23 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jah4reds
Ceri,

Don't confuse our conversation a hot-headed argument with another poster.

Ipswich, which does record higher temperatures, is not Brisbane. It's further inland and a couple of degrees hotter in summer during the day. Manly is so close I suppose we could call it part of the 'greater Brisbane area'. Does Manly usually record 2 weeks a year with temperatures above 40? Hmmm...

You must live in a hot house to keep recording those temps.

AndyH
look I'm off to bed... Ipswich is a part of Brisbane (and so is the Gold coast and sunshine coast for that matter) . .. sigh, do you understand that the area of Brisbane as a whole covers other council/area districts? It falls under Brisbane. For you to say you come from Brisbane and then say Ipswich is not a part of Brisbane.. Uh?? wrong

I used to live near manly, well a 20 minute drive (Cannon hill area I was) .. before I moved North side, it was while I was south side it reached 45/46

geeze I give up
too tired! mad woman needs her sleep:scared:

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 31st 2003 at 3:27 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

sashimi, believe it, temps in Brisbane have reached well over 40 in the past few years, for a few days
[/SIZE]

you live there, I'm not gonna argue with you, I just quoted the official meteorology figures.

What I meant about welcoming the temps was, if one chooses to live in a place that gets that hot it's only to be expected. But if you're not complaining or don't mind, fine.

Hope you slept well despite the heat

sashimi
Old Jan 31st 2003, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gday everyone from down under

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wannabee sheila
Wheres all the old crew, baldy,tipper, abergas, Mickey etc . Have you all emigrated?

Well we finally made it to Australia and have settled on the sunshine coast. Paul got work quickly, admittedly not what he wanted to do but its paying work, Jason has settled into school and we move into our own house next month. So far its been everything we had dreamed of. Sunshine ( i havent put a jumper or jeans on since we left the uk in Nov), friendly people that go out of their way to help, cheaper houses, cheaper meat and veggies, cheaper to eat out at good restaurants, fantastic beaches, beautiful wildlife and scenery, great playgrounds and child friendly places, great school, clean streets, nice shops and free internet at the library. Xmas was spent on the beach with a picnic and of course we had prawns for tea. The weather has been excellent 28-30 most days, with just one stinking hot 39 day. Which wasnt a problem as the car and shops are air conditioned. Our house isnt though and so far we havent needed it to be, Ceiling fans work fine.

Congrats on everthing working out for you all.
Where are you on the Sunshine Coast?
We also hope to settle around the Caloundra area, are you near there.
Which school has your child gone to?
Glad to hear form all new expats, especially constuctive, positive comments like yours.
Keep in touch.

PS Baldy is still around, Tipper has signed off and is due to leave soon, havn't seen posts from the others for a while.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

this year is a strong el' nino happening -which is why the drought

the temperatures do tend to go haywire due to this effect right around the world

cheers

richard
Old Jan 31st 2003, 5:44 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
Hi

We've just got our visas, and plan to hit the Sunshine coast around April. We're going to Caloundra. Are you anywhere near there? Weather sounds good - It's snowing in London at the moment! how easy did you find getting accomodation, jobs etc?

Regards

Andy

Hi spent a few days in Caloundra early last year and it was hot. The people we stayed with are now with us here in UK staying for a year living during the summer in a camper van - they come here to get away from the heat - Caloundra is lovely, good beachs and nice people Good luck there
Old Feb 1st 2003, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

How wonderful to be reading this rather than being in the middle of this for once!! Mines the ringside seat!!

Originally posted by Ceri
look I'm off to bed... Ipswich is a part of Brisbane (and so is the Gold coast and sunshine coast for that matter) . .. sigh, do you understand that the area of Brisbane as a whole covers other council/area districts? It falls under Brisbane. For you to say you come from Brisbane and then say Ipswich is not a part of Brisbane.. Uh?? wrong

I used to live near manly, well a 20 minute drive (Cannon hill area I was) .. before I moved North side, it was while I was south side it reached 45/46

geeze I give up
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri

geeze I give up
Hi agan Ceri,

You're tiredness must be making you confused. I think you'd better tell the good people of Ipswich, Sunshine and Gold Coasts that they are 'part of Brisbane' - they are labouring under the impression the're not. The are not neither geographically or by governance.

Ipswich
http://www.econdev.ipswich.qld.gov.au

Gold Coast
http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au

Sunshine Coast
http://www.aboutqueensland.biz/sunsh...t/council.html

I only bothered to answer to you so that immigrants would be clear as to the differences between Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold and Sunshine Coast.

I'm getting tired of correcting you - so this is my last word on the subject.

It's hot folks in Brisbane - but not as hot as some (Ceri, CaptainCrook) try to make out. The humidity will usually be more of a problem than the temperatures.

AndyH.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 1:14 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jah4reds
Hi agan Ceri,

You're tiredness must be making you confused. I think you'd better tell the good people of Ipswich, Sunshine and Gold Coasts that they are 'part of Brisbane' - they are labouring under the impression the're not. The are not neither geographically or by governance.

Ipswich
http://www.econdev.ipswich.qld.gov.au

Gold Coast
http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au

Sunshine Coast
http://www.aboutqueensland.biz/sunsh...t/council.html

I only bothered to answer to you so that immigrants would be clear as to the differences between Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold and Sunshine Coast.

I'm getting tired of correcting you - so this is my last word on the subject.

It's hot folks in Brisbane - but not as hot as some (Ceri, CaptainCrook) try to make out. The humidity will usually be more of a problem than the temperatures.

AndyH.

In regard to Brisbane (and the greater area of Brisbane) has never reached into the 40’s,. I could plough through thousands of search results, but I honestly cannot be bothered to plough through endless sites just to prove a point like some!

With respect, temp readings as you know are taken by the Queensland bureau of metrology, which in the general Brisbane area the main gauge is based at the Airport near to the coast (it’s relevant). Temperatures vary all over the Brisbane area depending on the location, so when they take a reading of say 39c from the airport that is not to say a temp of over 40 is not recorded at another location in the Brisbane area.

Other companies and organizations including universities also take readings. These companies will take temp readings throughout the year in most suburbs; you may find that they have a greater amount of gauges in more numerous numbers and area. One such company is Energex (Qld electric), which also has a lightning tracker too. But the controversy is; say Energex or a university records 44c in the middle of say caboulture, or Redcliffe, or Cannon Hill and so on, even though they are accurate readings, as far as you want to class accurate anyway, to my knowledge this is not classed as so-called “official� by the Met , even though the Met may have no gauges in this area where this above “example� temp was taken from.

Which comes to my other point, when we have had big heat waves here during Dec/Jan/Jan/Feb mostly the stories on the local news programs and papers will say something like (an example)“a soaring temp recording of 44c was taken at Caboulture today�. Even though this has not come from the official Met but another source such as say a university, or an energex reading and so on even though their gauges are so-called accurate.

This may explain what I’m waffling on about a wee bit, (it depends ... this is not covering QLD and Brisbane, but get my drift, what I am saying about different organisations and their view on weather readings) http://www.webace.com.au/~wsh/gissbom.htm

To make it really simple for you (I do tend to waffle on a bit sometimes ): You go fishing, you catch a huge shark/fish, and you take out your accurate rule/ tape and measure it, you even have a witness. It measures accurately at say 20ft 1inch; you weigh it on an accurate, calibrated butchers scale. It is an Australian Record, but it will never be officially classed as an Aussie record because you are not a member of the ANSA group or of an associated club (an official fishing group you need to go through them for it to be official) even though you’ve caught the biggest in Aus and measured and weighed it correctly, yours is not a record for the official books.

Look mate, for the past few years in Brisbane and SURROUNDS of brisbane, which is in the brisbane area , each year has had a 40 odd reading on the news, heat waves.. if you can't accept that... tough.. just don't bother me

That’s me done now; I can’t be bothered defending/arguing with such bl**dy minded pettiness from certain peoples anymore.

I’m off to enjoy the rain at last. Perhaps my veggie bill will come down too at last (I’m paying $3.45 for a lettuce, it was only a $1.45 before the drought). Damn, this rain also means my lawn is getting watered and will be growing J

With regards
(I got to keep putting little smiley faces everywhere… I’m fed up of people taking my words the wrong way is that better! )

P.S
I suppose I'm not in brisbane either by being in Redcliffe, sigh ... without ploughing through sites like you, I can't be bothered... it takes too much of my time. ! Population figures for Brisbane included areas such as Ipswich, Gold coast, Sunshine coast... it is covered in the Brisbane area.. it may be governed by different councils, but it is covered by Brisbane. in demographic maps/regioning... I give up. Look I pay rates , not to Brisbane council but to Redcliffe council on my land, but I am in the Brisbane area

oh well , believe what you want, you read what others have told you, I live, it's not worth it arguing with you..it's not worth my time

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 3rd 2003 at 1:29 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2003, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

wannabee sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
Hi

We've just got our visas, and plan to hit the Sunshine coast around April. We're going to Caloundra. Are you anywhere near there? Weather sounds good - It's snowing in London at the moment! how easy did you find getting accomodation, jobs etc?

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy sorry it took so long for me to reply, but i had to search through endless weather talk to find your post.

Caloundra is just down the coast from us in Buderim and is a really nice place. Have you got friends or family there? What made you decide on Caloundra? It may take me a while to reply because I use the library computers, and only get here once a week.

By the way for all you weather fans, its actually been raining here, so what.
Karen
Old Feb 20th 2003, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Never mind the argument ... read the data http://www.earthsci.unimelb.edu.au/~.../brisbane.html