Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gday everyone from down under

Gday everyone from down under

Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:01 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jah4reds
Now you are being slightly more precise - yes this year is cooler but feels no cooler than 1999. Ok maybe the 40+ heat wave was in Feb 00 (as I said '3 years ago') - but it has not been a couple of weeks every year where the temperature hovers over 40. And where did you take that reading of 45/6? I lived in a top floor flat where the temperature was about 5 C than outside and it reached a maximum of 47 in that flat. To me February is not the hottest month January usaually is - last year it was late Dec early Jan.

And before you go flying off the handle about your foreign experience I have lived 16 years in the tropics before living in the UK and then Aus so it makes your time in Singapore look like a brief holiday. You shouldn't always assume you know more or have more experience inliving in hot places than others on this forum.

AndyH
Go and look at the temp diff between say Ipswich to Manly (both are Brisbane), Have a look at the temps between where I am currently Redcliffe to where my friend lives in Morayfield (it can differ between 5 degrees! )

Now ask me another... surely you should realise this!

Well Feb I have found is usually the hottest , it has been a few years around the end of Jan into feb (one year we did have a stinker during Dec.. like I said usually) and I have not said in one of my posts Feb "IS "the hottest, I've said "usually" (can I ask you what month are we in to tomorrow?... notice the climb in temps the past few weeks)

cheers
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:02 pm
plucka

Originally posted by Ceri
Before you and even try to insult me, I suggest you read my posts correctly, every year, in the past 5 years, we have weather which as reached into the 40's BAR THIS YEAR!. Are you stupid or what?And before you even try to attack me, I suggest you learn to spell the word embarrassed correctly. And before you even open your racist foul mouth again, I suggest you say that to a welsh persons face and see where it lands you.

Racist , ignorant idiot!

you're not worth responding to again , you have a foul, racist , mouth.

Please take a chill pill before you give yourself a heart attack.

If you can read your own postings you said it is above 40 EVERY year - that is utter rubbish. Your only making yourself look more foolish with each post. I am glad that you said in your last post that you will not respond again because your ranting, name calling and abuse only reminds me of being in school again.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats the issue here. Can't the ozzies handle people telling the truth. God they make me sick.

When we got to brisbane in 1999 is rained almost constantly for 3/4 months May-Sept. I know this because we were building a house at the time and it was constantly delayed. Everybody was saying it was unusally wet.

The next summer temps in the high 30's low 40's. Everybody saying unusally hot. Next three summers the same. Everybody saying god we have had a string of hot summers.

Unfortunately the weather everywhere has been extreme in the last few years. They say England will have a med climate in 20 years. that probably means oz will be a dust bowl or completely submerged below water.

i have been here for 5 years and this has been the mildest summer although it's warming up now. Certainly 40's have been seen every year since we've been here on some days.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:14 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by plucka
Please take a chill pill before you give yourself a heart attack.

If you can read your own postings you said it is above 40 EVERY year - that is utter rubbish. Your only making yourself look more foolish with each post. I am glad that you said in your last post that you will not respond again because your ranting, name calling and abuse only reminds me of being in school again.
"since I've been living in Brisbane (5 years), this is the coolest summer I've had to date here... for the past five years (excluding this one) Brisbane usually gets a couple of weeks which reach well into the 40's"

copied from my very first post., which you attacked.. notice the brackets which say excluding this year, notice the "since I've been in Brisbane 5 years'... so that's 4 years where temps have reached into their 40's , where on earth have I said every year??!

do I have to explain it to you step by step

Like I said, learn to read others posts correctly before you insult, attack that person!

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 31st 2003 at 1:32 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:15 pm
plucka

Originally posted by captaincook
Whats the issue here. Can't the ozzies handle people telling the truth. God they make me sick.

When we got to brisbane in 1999 is rained almost constantly for 3/4 months May-Sept. I know this because we were building a house at the time and it was constantly delayed. Everybody was saying it was unusally wet.

The next summer temps in the high 30's low 40's. Everybody saying unusally hot. Next three summers the same. Everybody saying god we have had a string of hot summers.

Unfortunately the weather everywhere has been extreme in the last few years. They say England will have a med climate in 20 years. that probably means oz will be a dust bowl or completely submerged below water.

i have been here for 5 years and this has been the mildest summer although it's warming up now. Certainly 40's have been seen every year since we've been here on some days.

So like Ceri you judge the entire Australian climate by your limited 5 years there? I believe you about the last 4 or 5 years even though I have been out of the country but all I was saying to the mad Welsh woman is that it is not historically like that. Why is that so hard to understand?

Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:19 pm
plucka

"since I've been living in Brisbane (5 years), this is the coolest summer I've had to date here... for the past five years (excluding this one) Brisbane usually gets a couple of weeks which reach well into the 40's"

copied from my very first post., which you attacked.. notice the brackets which say excluding this year, notice the "since I've been in Brisbane 5 years'... so that's 4 years where temps have reached into their 40's , where on earth have I said every year??!

do I have to explain it to you step by step

Like I said learn to read to read others posts correctly before you insult, attack that person!
Also quoted from your last post

"you're not worth responding to again ,"

I wish you would take your own advice.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Advise is a verb. Advice is the noun you want.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:21 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by captaincook

Thank you !

That's what I've been saying... This summer, since I've been here it is cool , the coolest I've had it. In the time I've been here there have been weeks (days in the week) which have reached into the 40's . The hottest week I can remember was 2000, like I said, it was the year I went out on got an aircon, and to my memory it was around 46c

Either they are taking my post the wrong way, reading it wrong, or theiy are bl**dy insulting if you ask me.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 31st 2003 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Me again. Sorry - I'm sure your post said "advise" when I read it. Time for a new pair of specs
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:45 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! You've had me in fits of laughter!!!

It's currently snowing and cold here. Anyone want to argue about it?!

Ha Ha
Sarah
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

JustArrived is an unknown quantity at this point

"mad Welsh woman"

Nothing wrong with that. All my Welsh friends were utterly bonkers.

Nos da.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:54 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gday everyone from down under

Hi

We've just got our visas, and plan to hit the Sunshine coast around April. We're going to Caloundra. Are you anywhere near there? Weather sounds good - It's snowing in London at the moment! how easy did you find getting accomodation, jobs etc?

Regards

Andy

Originally posted by wannabee sheila
Wheres all the old crew, baldy,tipper, abergas, Mickey etc . Have you all emigrated?

Well we finally made it to Australia and have settled on the sunshine coast. Paul got work quickly, admittedly not what he wanted to do but its paying work, Jason has settled into school and we move into our own house next month. So far its been everything we had dreamed of. Sunshine ( i havent put a jumper or jeans on since we left the uk in Nov), friendly people that go out of their way to help, cheaper houses, cheaper meat and veggies, cheaper to eat out at good restaurants, fantastic beaches, beautiful wildlife and scenery, great playgrounds and child friendly places, great school, clean streets, nice shops and free internet at the library. Xmas was spent on the beach with a picnic and of course we had prawns for tea. The weather has been excellent 28-30 most days, with just one stinking hot 39 day. Which wasnt a problem as the car and shops are air conditioned. Our house isnt though and so far we havent needed it to be, Ceiling fans work fine.

Anyway Id love to hear from anyone out there for a chat , to catch up with you all or If I can answer any questions from those still waiting.

Good luck and remember
You'll never ever know if you never ever go
Karen
Old Jan 31st 2003, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]it's currently snowing and cold.[QUOTE]

Right, the same here, pretty freezing.

According to a graph based on info from the Oz bureau of meteorology from 1996-2002 the was no single day with official temps over 40 in Brisbane. Measuring it on your own thermometre hanging out in the sun doesn't count. Anyway, you moved there, so you should welcome the high temps that can only be expected there

sashimi
Old Jan 31st 2003, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Go and look at the temp diff between say Ipswich to Manly (both are Brisbane), Have a look at the temps between where I am currently Redcliffe to where my friend lives in Morayfield (it can differ between 5 degrees! )

Now ask me another... surely you should realise this!

Well Feb I have found is usually the hottest , it has been a few years around the end of Jan into feb (one year we did have a stinker during Dec.. like I said usually) and I have not said in one of my posts Feb "IS "the hottest, I've said "usually" (can I ask you what month are we in to tomorrow?... notice the climb in temps the past few weeks)

cheers
Ceri,

Don't confuse our conversation a hot-headed argument with another poster.

Ipswich, which does record higher temperatures, is not Brisbane. It's further inland and a couple of degrees hotter in summer during the day. Manly is so close I suppose we could call it part of the 'greater Brisbane area'. Does Manly usually record 2 weeks a year with temperatures above 40? Hmmm...

You must live in a hot house to keep recording those temps.

AndyH
Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:12 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sashimi
[QUOTE]it's currently snowing and cold.

Right, the same here, pretty freezing.

According to a graph based on info from the Oz bureau of meteorology from 1996-2002 the was no single day with official temps over 40 in Brisbane. Measuring it on your own thermometre hanging out in the sun doesn't count. Anyway, you moved there, so you should welcome the high temps that can only be expected there

sashimi

sashimi, believe it, temps in Brisbane have reached well over 40 in the past few years, for a few days. , this year in Brisbane has been mild, it hasn't reached those temps.., it's very late here at the moment, I'm off to bed.

But I will get data to back up this, when I have a spare few minutes (been up since 4am... I need sleep!)

One year, it was while I was living south side of the river , this was feb 2000, it reached the mid forties, ad it it was around 46 one day, the average around these few weeks were very high 30's 38/39, and it peaked at around 46 for a couple of days, it was a stinker of a year. Maybe you are reading averages.. I don't know, I'm too tired to look at the moment.

really every year (except this one) it has for a period of time , reached over 40.. this only occurs for a couple of days, but in the surrounding days are the high 30's before it peaks.

This was official temps and not my readings, these temps were on the "news" official weather reports at the time.

cheers
too tired to argue... I can't see your point "in you moved there, so you should welcome it" (besides I did not choose Brisbane, or Australia to live in, I moved with the company which is not the point anyway... I'm getting side tracked here now)... I'm not complaining about the heat... sigh, I give up, I don't mind the heat... It is cool this year, previous years have been a lot hotter, reaching into the 40's at a point.

I give up... you're all mad, speaking a different lingo!

I'll get back to you with data , but anyone living here now at this second will tell you in the past few years it has gone into the 40's a few times ( for a few days in a week (excluding this year)

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 31st 2003 at 3:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.