British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   G'day Australia! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/gday-australia-429150/)

Qaxpla Feb 20th 2007 7:41 pm

G'day Australia!

Hey forumites!

Firstly, let me introduce myself! I'm adam, 18 year old student in the UK and i'm apart of a 4 person family looking to move away from the overcast UK to a sunny and friendly Australia!

We're hoping to use my dad as our principal applicant, he's a Supply and Distribution Manager for a large electrical retailer here in the UK currently aged 42 and has had the same job now for 4 years after working from Sales Assistant to professional management in 20 years! My mum, aged 40 is a nail technician working for herself and fed up of life here in the UK. My sister, well, she's 15 and about to enter her final year of school here in the midlands. We live a good life here but with my dad working 50 hours a week most weeks we want a better lifestyle, a more family orientated life and definitely a better future for me and my sister!!

We watched the Wanted Down Under program and fell in love with Perth, so it looks like we're aiming for that area of the country!

We're just about to being the migration process and have scored about 110 points (w/o job offer) on the Skilled Indepedent Visa, so we might have to look into the SIR visa, but we're a little bleary eyed on it all now! The NZ process looked much more simple but wasn't for us.

We're speaking to people from the visabureau and workpermit.com websites so we can get further information and get off onto a good foot, I hope that's a good decision!!

So, here's a hello from us and hope to make some friends along the way, hopefully this journey will all work out and we'll end up in Perth, fingers crossed ,hey! :thumbup:

martin36-1 Feb 20th 2007 7:53 pm

Re: G'day Australia!

good luck to all of you. You are nearly there with the points so may need a sponsor over there or you can look into paying into a bond (£40k)...........you will get this back after 12 months but im sure it will give you another 5 or 10 points.........you will have to check it out.
Look into getting an agent, it costs about 2k but it makes it all a lot easier.
Good luck and let me know how you get on.
Ive just applied for visas and we are perth bound when they arrive!!

Wendy Feb 20th 2007 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Qaxpla (Post 4434402)
Hey forumites!

Firstly, let me introduce myself! I'm adam, 18 year old student in the UK and i'm apart of a 4 person family looking to move away from the overcast UK to a sunny and friendly Australia!

We're hoping to use my dad as our principal applicant, he's a Supply and Distribution Manager for a large electrical retailer here in the UK currently aged 42 and has had the same job now for 4 years after working from Sales Assistant to professional management in 20 years! My mum, aged 40 is a nail technician working for herself and fed up of life here in the UK. My sister, well, she's 15 and about to enter her final year of school here in the midlands. We live a good life here but with my dad working 50 hours a week most weeks we want a better lifestyle, a more family orientated life and definitely a better future for me and my sister!!

We watched the Wanted Down Under program and fell in love with Perth, so it looks like we're aiming for that area of the country!

We're just about to being the migration process and have scored about 110 points (w/o job offer) on the Skilled Indepedent Visa, so we might have to look into the SIR visa, but we're a little bleary eyed on it all now! The NZ process looked much more simple but wasn't for us.

We're speaking to people from the visabureau and workpermit.com websites so we can get further information and get off onto a good foot, I hope that's a good decision!!

So, here's a hello from us and hope to make some friends along the way, hopefully this journey will all work out and we'll end up in Perth, fingers crossed ,hey! :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum Adam and family :)

I used visa bureau, they were very good. Good luck on your journey through the immigration process

Qaxpla Feb 20th 2007 7:58 pm

cheers for that advice!!

I think an agent is going to be the best bet, do you have any recommendations? I hear george lombard is meant to be quite good!

nice to hear theres another person heading for perth haha, was a little worried we'd be out in the sticks, per say, given its quite far from other cities of size haha.

farrierswife Feb 20th 2007 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Qaxpla (Post 4434483)
cheers for that advice!!

I think an agent is going to be the best bet, do you have any recommendations? I hear george lombard is meant to be quite good!

nice to hear theres another person heading for perth haha, was a little worried we'd be out in the sticks, per say, given its quite far from other cities of size haha.

we used/using visa bureau too very good and helped loads with 5 point bond etc

denver Feb 21st 2007 2:12 pm

cheers for that advice!!

I was raised in Perth and heading back there on Monday (spent 18 months in London.) Perth is awesome, but you are going to have to throw yourself into things, join clubs and aim to meet as many people as possible so that you can get a social life happening as soon as possible. Perth people don't always come to the the newcomers, you have to go to them so to speak!

Anyway, just wanted to wish you good luck on your journey, hope it all goes well. You have made a good decision.:thumbup:

stuckinblighty Feb 21st 2007 2:25 pm

cheers for that advice!!

Hi Q

I can recommend 'go matilda' as ive used them for my application.

Hows the weather in your part of Cov ? ... its sunny in mine !!

Any questions just ask away

regards,Lee