gday

Old Oct 17th 2002, 3:23 pm
charliealpha

Default gday

howdy,

Myself and my girlfriend are thinking of heading of somewhere from the UK. We're gathering as much info as we can so as to make the right decision (it helps).

Anyway, we both work in IT, I'm a network/systems support monkey with about 7 years experience and a qualification in Lotus Notes admin along with the other mandatory stuff and my GF has worked for a local ISP for 3 years as a senior co-ordinator. We aren't loaded due to cost of living over here in the UK but we do have the ability to save up a few grand each during the waiting process for visa's etc and are both UK born residents.

I'm looking at IT jobs over in AU (Melbourne, Sydney etc) and there seems to be work there if you look hard enough, so whats the chance of getting a good job before we move over? Are they common? Does it happen or is it a case of get there, then look? I understand that its pretty easy to find rental accomodation so thats less of a worry but we don't want to go through the whole process, get there then find neither of us can find work, run out of cash and not be able to get home. Whats the average wage comparable with the costs of food, rent etc. Is public transport easily available?

Has anyone else done the move and has been in a similar situation to us? What would be the best way to go about it?

According to the AU immigration page we have both scored 125 which is good news.

Questions, questions, questions

It'd be nice to hear some stories

Old Oct 17th 2002, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: gday

Originally posted by charliealpha:
howdy,

Myself and my girlfriend are thinking of heading of somewhere from the UK. We're gathering as much info as we can so as to make the right decision (it helps).

Anyway, we both work in IT, I'm a network/systems support monkey with about 7 years experience and a qualification in Lotus Notes admin along with the other mandatory stuff and my GF has worked for a local ISP for 3 years as a senior co-ordinator. We aren't loaded due to cost of living over here in the UK but we do have the ability to save up a few grand each during the waiting process for visa's etc and are both UK born residents.

I'm looking at IT jobs over in AU (Melbourne, Sydney etc) and there seems to be work there if you look hard enough, so whats the chance of getting a good job before we move over? Are they common? Does it happen or is it a case of get there, then look? I understand that its pretty easy to find rental accomodation so thats less of a worry but we don't want to go through the whole process, get there then find neither of us can find work, run out of cash and not be able to get home. Whats the average wage comparable with the costs of food, rent etc. Is public transport easily available?

Has anyone else done the move and has been in a similar situation to us? What would be the best way to go about it?

According to the AU immigration page we have both scored 125 which is good news.

Questions, questions, questions

It'd be nice to hear some stories
I'm not entirely sure how it would be for you both to gain work in IT. Oz as well as other places seems to have a lull on IT jobs at the moment. Depending also on what type of visa you'd be going for would determine how long you'd have to wait.
There was quite a few posts not so long ago on working in IT in Oz. Try doing a search on this and it should enlighten you a bit.

Sorry I'm not much help on this one.

Ginny
Old Oct 17th 2002, 10:06 pm
Barbarosa

Default Re: gday

> I'm looking at IT jobs over in AU (Melbourne, Sydney etc) and there
    > seems to be work there if you look hard enough, so whats the chance of
    > getting a good job before we move over?

Speaking from Sydney with similar background and experiance, I've been here
2.5 years and I am a permanent resident. The IT sector has dried up a bit,
but I think you have a positive outlook, you might not land your dream job
straight off, but try persevere.

My advice is, don't take your first month here as a holiday and wait till
you are short on cash to look for work, go looking straight away. The job
advertisments on the Internet can be misleading and I guarantee that
recruitment agencies will mess you about and not return your calls on jobs
you feel you are perfect for. You would be *extremely* fortunate to have a
job arranged before you make it over here but you might as well give it a
go, at least you could make some contacts whom you can meet when you arrive
over.