GCSE's

Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Dee01 is on a distinguished road
Default GCSE's

Hi all,

Just registered and found this forum great!

I'm returning to Aus in Jan with my daughter who just finished her GCSE's, shes in a really good school for her A levels so is in two minds, finish her two years A levels here or come to Aus with me? I looked online for A levels but not really come up with much and which education strategy for her to follow if she does come to Aus. Any info would be lovely.

Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GCSE's

Let her finish her A levels and they will travel well to Australia for university education. She would need lower A level grades to get into an equivalent course/uni here here than she would in UK

If she came to Australia then she would really need to begin year 11 and do the 2 year course (most kids are 16 or just about to turn 16 at the beginning of year 11).

The other thing to bear in mind is what if she wants to go to a UK uni? If she hasnt been resident in UK for the 3 years before starting uni she would be up for international student fees and her Australian year 12 results wont travel as well in the opposite direction.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:18 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think this question is best answered by getting your daughter to think it through herself, possibly with advice from school & from her family.

Such a lot depends on what sort of person your daughter is: whether she depends a lot on her friends & is doing well at school because she thrives on the environment there, or whether she is strongly independent & will do well wherever she is being educated. What her ambitions for the future are; whether she thinks she would want to do Uni without her immediate family in the UK, or whether she thinks she will take a gap year, or if she couldn't imagine being separated from you all even if that did mean "starting over" in Oz.

There's lots of advice given about the "correct" time to move a child over to Oz, but really & truly, it depends completely on the child. You know your daughter & your family, very best wishes
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice

Hi,

I have been looking at doing a degree in oz. I am British and i have got my GSCE's but no A levels. Before i do my degree they require me to take certificate IV, this an 8 month course. Once i have done this i can start my degree. This will act like the a levels and will be a stepping stone into university. This was with Griffith in Brisbane.

If there is anything, give me a shout

Last edited by JetBlast; Jun 21st 2010 at 10:29 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chippy01
Hi all,

Just registered and found this forum great!

I'm returning to Aus in Jan with my daughter who just finished her GCSE's, shes in a really good school for her A levels so is in two minds, finish her two years A levels here or come to Aus with me? I looked online for A levels but not really come up with much and which education strategy for her to follow if she does come to Aus. Any info would be lovely.

Thanks
IMO having had a son in the same position I would say that if you are coming over permanently and if she will be going to Uni here you are better off coming over in January and getting her into a good school here and doing her HSC/VCE. If she decides to do her A levels in the UK, she will be 2 years older and the move may be even more stressful, especially if there is a boyfriend on the scene between now and then. Just be prepared that depending on where you live you may have to pay for private schooling to get the same level of school you would have had in the UK. This is what we ended up doing and although our then 16 YO was a little apprehensive about the move, he loved every minute of his school life here, in fact he said it was the best 2 years of his life in school and he went to a great state school in the UK. He's now in Uni and wouldn't dream of going back to the UK.