Gcse S In Uk/oz

Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

helen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura about
Smile Gcse S In Uk/oz

Hello hope someone can help my 16 yr old daughter is about to sit her GCSES in May,then after her last exam we are off to the Sunshine Coast!
Someone has told me that she will have difficulty getting into college in Oz as the Aussies dont recognize these qualifications,she is wanting to do equivalent of Alevel English and History in Oz.
Can anyone shed some light.
I havent been able to E mail any colleges as we are not sure where we are heading yet for definate.Cheers.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

upthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gcse S In Uk/oz

Originally Posted by helen/andy
Hello hope someone can help my 16 yr old daughter is about to sit her GCSES in May,then after her last exam we are off to the Sunshine Coast!
Someone has told me that she will have difficulty getting into college in Oz as the Aussies dont recognize these qualifications,she is wanting to do equivalent of Alevel English and History in Oz.
I havent been able to E mail any colleges as we are not sure where we are heading yet for definate.Cheers.
Iam in same situation as you with my son.I think they can go into year 11 where they will be doing chosen subjects and at the end of year 12 they will sit exams equiv to a levels.Gcse are not noticed over there.You can i think start her in year 10 so it gives her a few months to settle in before starting important year which we will consider just means them going back a year.As my son is one of the youngest in year 11 uk i dont think this will be a problem.We are heading also to sunshine coast to a place called chancellor park.Where are you heading?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

helen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by upthehammers
Iam in same situation as you with my son.I think they can go into year 11 where they will be doing chosen subjects and at the end of year 12 they will sit exams equiv to a levels.Gcse are not noticed over there.You can i think start her in year 10 so it gives her a few months to settle in before starting important year which we will consider just means them going back a year.As my son is one of the youngest in year 11 uk i dont think this will be a problem.We are heading also to sunshine coast to a place called chancellor park.Where are you heading?
Thanks for that,we are hopefully going around Tewantin or up around hervey bay area still not sure.We went out last year for a rekkie,havent got jobs yet tho just a positive attitude! Helen.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Put simply .... the only formal academic assessment takes place at the end of Yr 12/13.

There is no direct Oz equivalent to GCSE unless the school teaches IB (International Baccaluareate) and delivers the Middle Years Program.

You can of course sit the exams in Oz once you find an accredited examinations centre - and there should be a few - but finding places delivering the courses could be more challenging.

Hope this helps

Bezza
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:15 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im going into my AS Level year when i get over there, year 12 as I have completed my GCSEs
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

As someone else said the school exams here are taken at the end of year 12 (equivalent of A levels). This gives an OP score which determines what degree etc you can do. Each degree course has an OP score that has to be reached to be able to do it.

As far as I understand it the last 2 years have to be studied to be able to gain the OP score. If you end up going back a year that wouldn't be a problem as it is quite normal to be held back a year for whatever reason.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

And in case you didn't know she will study more subject than the traditional 3 we have in the UK.

The overall OP score will be determined by her cumulative performance in the subjects over the course of the last two years of education pluas her performance in the skills test which is very important.

If I remember correctly - the OP will not just eb an attainment score but a ranking within a school (of sorts)

Hope this helps

Bezza
Old Feb 12th 2006, 3:45 am
ABCDiamond

Does this help:

Equivalent Qualifications

A Statement of Equivalent Qualification can be issued to people who have educational qualifications from overseas that are judged by the Authority to be equivalent to Year 11 or Year 12 level.

QLD - http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/yrs11_12/assessment/os/
Costs (as at June 2005) QLD $36.00 (5 working days)

NSW - http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...uivalence.html

Education

Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Does this help:

Equivalent Qualifications

A Statement of Equivalent Qualification can be issued to people who have educational qualifications from overseas that are judged by the Authority to be equivalent to Year 11 or Year 12 level.

QLD - http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/yrs11_12/assessment/os/
Costs (as at June 2005) QLD $36.00 (5 working days)

NSW - http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...uivalence.html

Education

thanks abc helpful as ever
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Gcse S In Uk/oz

Originally Posted by debbiemc
thanks abc helpful as ever
Thanks for all info much appreciated Helenx
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=upthehammersIam in same situation as you with my son.I think they can go into year 11 where they will be doing chosen subjects and at the end of year 12 they will sit exams equiv to a levels.Gcse are not noticed over there.You can i think start her in year 10 so it gives her a few months to settle in before starting important year which we will consider just means them going back a year.As my son is one of the youngest in year 11 uk i dont think this will be a problem.We are heading also to sunshine coast to a place called chancellor park.Where are you heading?[/QUOTE]
Hi we also have a daughter sitting exams in May then heading out to brisbane 21 June, we have spoke to her at length about this and it has been her decision to go back a year. At least she will have both exams done and its also a great way to make friends. We were also given a contact for advise of moving from UK (we are in the Isle of Man) to Australia. My daughters career officer spoke with this chap briefly on her behalf and has said that she can contact him direct. email is [email protected].

Let us know how you get on!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

upthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Hi we also have a daughter sitting exams in May then heading out to brisbane 21 June, we have spoke to her at length about this and it has been her decision to go back a year. At least she will have both exams done and its also a great way to make friends. We were also given a contact for advise of moving from UK (we are in the Isle of Man) to Australia. My daughters career officer spoke with this chap briefly on her behalf and has said that she can contact him direct. email is [email protected].

Let us know how you get on!
thanks for the advice i will let you know how we get on
Old Feb 12th 2006, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Gcse S In Uk/oz

I can recommend Study Options www.studyoptions.com to help you - the founder is a former pupil!

He (Stefan) went on a gap year to Oz after his first 2 years at Uni and never went back!

They produce a good guide brochure but I think it costs £2:50 - covers NZ as well - and is thought to be good value by the careers teacher in my current school!

He certainly can offer some specific advice.

Bezza
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:40 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

probably best to question some schools direct to get an idea of how they interpret gcse's in their schools:
for noosa area try -
noosa district state high school

http://www.noosadistrictshs.eq.edu.au/

or good shepherd lutheran college (noosaville) (private)

http://www.gslc.qld.edu.au/

or for chancellor park and area contact

sunshine coast grammar (private)

http://www.scgs.qld.edu.au/

or chancellor park state

http://www.chancellorpark.com.au/index.asp

good luck!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Fron a parent/teacher point of view

Jade was 14 when she arrived and she had finished Y9 in Uk and was due to begin Y10 in September - we moved down under in September but the age difference of grades here was big.

She couldn't really go into year 10 - as this was the last semester before college which would leave her with an unfair advantage - school runs from February to December here.

So she started in Year 9 and did the 10 weeks and then made a few freinds ready to start y10 in high school.

She has just started Y11 at college and is loving it - however her freinds are back in the UK in the same position as your daughter, just about to take GCSEs

As a teacher I think the best thing would be (depending when you arrive) start in Y10 to give her a bit of groundwork - and then begin college next February .

Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.