Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GB driving license to AUS (WA). Under 25.

GB driving license to AUS (WA). Under 25.

Old May 24th 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Twisty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GB driving license to AUS (WA). Under 25.

I have found the below on the Department of Transport webpage.
1.On 1 September 2012 Western Australia adopted a new ‘experienced driver’ recognised country category. If your driver licence was issued by an ‘experienced driver’ recognised country and you are 25 years of age or older, WA will recognise your overseas driving experience. (For eligibility, please see notes/key below)

Upon application for the grant of a WA driver’s license you will be exempt from the theory and practical assessments (car and motorcycle only), provided your overseas driver license has not expired by more than 12 months.

If you hold a driver licence from an ‘experienced driver recognised’ country and you are under 25 years of age you will be required to undertake and pass the theory and practical driving tests prior to the grant of a WA driver’s licence

Ok, so I need to do a theory test and practical test. However does the below about minimum supervised hours apply? I've held my full UK driving license for over 6 years.

2.Learner drivers must complete a minimum of 50 supervised driving hours to get their provisional licence. The 50 hours comprises a minimum of 25 supervised driving hours before the Practical Driving Assessment and a further minimum of 25 supervised driving hours over at least six months after the Practical Driving Assessment.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 24th 2013, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice
Default Re: GB driving license to AUS (WA). Under 25.

Email the DoT and ask them. They are very prompt and helpful IME.
Old May 26th 2013, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

No you don't need to do a test. Just go to a Department of Transport office with relevant ID. They will check validity of your UK licence there and then and give you a temporary WA one. Then your WA licence will follow in the post. After the queue it took about 40 mins for myself and my wife.
Old May 26th 2013, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
No you don't need to do a test. Just go to a Department of Transport office with relevant ID. They will check validity of your UK licence there and then and give you a temporary WA one. Then your WA licence will follow in the post. After the queue it took about 40 mins for myself and my wife.
"If you hold a driver licence from an ‘experienced driver recognised’ country and you are under 25 years of age you will be required to undertake and pass the theory and practical driving tests prior to the grant of a WA driver’s licence

Ok, so I need to do a theory test and practical test. However does the below about minimum supervised hours apply? I've held my full UK driving license for over 6 years."

I assumed the OP is under 25 - hence my suggestion to email DoT re supervised hours...
Old May 26th 2013, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I was thinking my wife was under 25 at the time, but she wasn't, she was 26! So sorry our experience is probably different to what yours will be.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

msbds is on a distinguished road

Been checking out this driving licence situation as my 18 yr old son is sitting his driving test before he joins us in WA.

If you pass your test in a 'recognised country' then you don't need to resit theory or practical test in WA (or do supervised hours) whatever your age. UK is a 'recognised country'.

However, if you are from an 'experienced driver recognised country' then under 25's need to do theory and practical test and supervised hours, etc.

I googled 'experienced driver recognised country' and it gives lists of both 'recognised country' and 'experience driver recognised country'.

Hope this helps.