Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gay couple asks where to live in Australia

Wikiposts

Gay couple asks where to live in Australia

Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gay couple asks where to live in Australia

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Hi Ian,

Sorry for being a bit nosey here... Where was the adoption order of your two boys made? Adoption orders made under the Hague Convention (UK is Hague ratified) are generally recognized in Australia. However the adoption legistration is different in different state in Australia.

In Queensland, the most conservative state, adoptive parents have to be married and be of opposite sex. If Brisbane is one of the places you're considering to move to, you might need to check if the adoption of your two boys is legally recognized in Queensland and, if not, what the implication is.

http://www.childsafety.qld.gov.au/ad...cognition.html

I'm working at the Department of Child Safety and can check for you if you like. Otherwise you can phone the Intercountry Adoption Unit directly:

http://www.childsafety.qld.gov.au/ad...cts/index.html

All the best,
Mrs JTL

The boys were adopted in the UK and they are UK born. We were one of the first same ex couples to be approved by the British Courts and as we were one of the first the preparation lasted a bit longer (no complaints as it was helpful) 2 years. Also the final adoption hearing was heard in the High Court just to make sure there would be no challenges. It was a very positive experience. The Judge was complimentary and after telling us that it was in the boys best interests to remain with us and be adopted (they had been placed with us for two years after we were prepared and approved) she gave us all "Congratulation" card asked the boys if they would like to come up to the bench and sit in the judges chair! Still the pics! As for Queensland, I am not sure but I think it is the same in NSW. However as you say Australia has signed up to the Geneva convention and therefore I assume that it has to recognise us as a family. But yes - I would be pleased if you could do some research for us as we may want to move North.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
l would'nt move to Tasmania. Is'nt it against the law to be gay down there or did they change the law recently.
Wombat - Tasmania changed the law and it is now one of the most progressive places in the world for Gay rights but I could not bear the weather. And just because the state is progressive doesn't mean the average Joe in the street is. We are not looking for utopia just a friendly neighbourhood in which to bring up our kids.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:40 pm
rudo1ph

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Hi Ian,

Sorry for being a bit nosey here... Where was the adoption order of your two boys made? Adoption orders made under the Hague Convention (UK is Hague ratified) are generally recognized in Australia. However the adoption legistration is different in different state in Australia.

In Queensland, the most conservative state, adoptive parents have to be married and be of opposite sex. If Brisbane is one of the places you're considering to move to, you might need to check if the adoption of your two boys is legally recognized in Queensland and, if not, what the implication is.

http://www.childsafety.qld.gov.au/ad...cognition.html

I'm working at the Department of Child Safety and can check for you if you like. Otherwise you can phone the Intercountry Adoption Unit directly:

http://www.childsafety.qld.gov.au/ad...cts/index.html

All the best,
Mrs JTL

Hi Mrs JTL

Just to say, that as long as DIMIA are satisfied that the adoption is legitimate then it is recognised in the whole of Australia, regardless of the individual State requirements. Those requirements only apply if you live in that state and wish to adopt more children.

Our daughter was adopted from a non Hague Convention country but the authorities here decided to grant her a visa along with the rest of our family. It was touch and go as to whether they'd let us in or not.

Edit: To add to the above. The site you have posted applies to Australian citizens who go overseas and adopt a child whilst living there. They have to apply for an adoption visa to bring their child back home to live here. As I say - for "us" by applying for a PR visa to come and live here, if that is granted by DIMIA then it basically says - WE RECOGNISE YOUR ADOPTION. I wouldn't go rocking the boat (Ian) by asking questions. We had thought of re-adopting our little girl under Australian law but decided that we could find ourselves in hot waster if we did, if someone suddenly started looking at why we were granted a visa for a child who's adoption they would not normally recognised. Hhaving said that I have several Australian friends who have sucessfully brought their children back from Cambodia.....but the flip side is that some are still having problems getting back here.

Rudi

Last edited by rudo1ph; Feb 15th 2005 at 8:56 pm.

Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:41 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ian

Sorry your not feeling settled. I do think that even though sometimes it can be nice having family around it does add to people's problems as well as Didnaeseeu has already pointed out.

As a parent I know how difficult it must be to try and find somewhere that you can live your dreams but also fit it all in around the kids.

My only suggestion is have you looked at other places around Australia? I'm looking at moving to SA which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea but I have chosen it purely for what it can offer the kids (I have a 4 and 6 year old) anyway I'm sending you a pm.

Sasha
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:13 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again- (did you get the karma I sent by the way), I really hope things work out for you, It`s really annoying when someone is having a grouse about your kids but not having the guts to say it to you personally (the way I look at is if my kid does something someones not happy with then tell me and perhaps I can put it right) I do wonder though whether this person really has a genuine problem or is just a moaning minnie!!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:34 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Come to Perth and join in coffee with the Perth gals, we need a bit of excitment, and a couple of guys is just that!
Plus Perth has a large gay comunity if coffee with a bunch of girls doesn't appeal, also there has been a caravan site up for sale in the local papers recently, I am almost positive the asking price was under $500k just to give you an idea.

Jenny
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:06 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
l would'nt move to Tasmania. Is'nt it against the law to be gay down there or did they change the law recently.
I think you will find it is allowed, but only between brothers.

Cheers,

DagBoy

Disclaimer: I know that this comment is just building on typical sterotypes and is politically incorrect and probably not even that funny.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian12
O.K. We are in one Sidney's forrested subburbs on the Northern Beaches. ..............I like the comparative space and the greenery and the beaches but I don't like the lack of neighbourliness. The boys are happy enough in their school, although we have some doubts about whether there will be the same sort of support (special needs) that they got from their school in London, but hey do not complain and when asked which school they prefer, they say this one. So that brings up the question of moving the children again. They do need some stability. I have bean to join a couple of organisations and they are in town. Are we just stuffed or is there somwhere out there that we might feel at home and within a budget of 7 -800K :scared: Thanks for reading this and I would really appreciate any constructive feed back.
Just my opinion but I find my leafy suburb a pain in the arse for neighbours! So in no way do I think you should start looking at yourselves to change or move areas first. I have every sympathy with what you are going through.

We lived in a rental for a year before buying in this same area.....tried with the neighbours....no joy! Moved into new house and after 18 months and three BBQ invites to the locals .....no joy! Where we last lived in the UK, we had an annual street BBQ on the green and the kids played in the street as standard.

So forget you needing to change! There are odd unfriendly folk here in Aus and Sydney seems to have more than its share of them

What we did here......we joined the mainstream boring bits....one of ours is in scouts and hubby is on the committee as maintenance man #2!!! So far he has to hold a ladder I think

The P&C group at the school is a great source of getting 'in' or just helping out on the general help days at the school.

The local bowling club!!! Yes I know please laugh but we joined as social members, allows us to be seen and it also holds a Friday night Family BBQ - nobody speaks to us yet apart from the barman and barlady but we we will keep trying

Because of scouts we have been away to a family camps and despite our fears really had a great time. We also got invited to a 'pot luck' committee dinner and I did manage to like it a bit - hubby made me promise I would not be rude about the 70's. But if they had made me throw my keys in any pot I was gone! Apart from the social side of the scouts for the kids, the camps and things you get to take the kids to let you see different places that you possibly would not see if just being a normal tourist to areas. I know bits of NSW most people don't get to go....eg Camp Karriong (still laughing about Carry On!). But it might also open opportunities for future work/business opportunities?

My daughter is special needs as well, partially deaf. We got very little support in primary but have to say the high school she has just started this year is fantastic so far. I have since found out more getting help and learning not to wait for it here. I think part of my problem was being new I thought I could ask for less!

The new start is daunting and when people who live in the same street are difficult it can make it worse. But do not jump to move just yet try some other areas of the community where your input and help are appreciated.

I have also sent a pm

Chin up

Sandra

Last edited by Sandra; Feb 16th 2005 at 12:24 am.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:41 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

O.K. Please bear with me because I am not one who normally opens their heart on a forum. I am not 100% sure where this will go either. My partner is Australian. He never really wanted to come back to Oz - too many unhappy family memories but I was keen. We have been an item 16 years and we have two smashing adopted little boys. I had a very sucessful business in London and we lived around the corner so it took me five minutes to get to work. We lived in Marylebone Village which was lively - lots of cafes, shops and easy walking distance to anywhere in the West End. I had work collegues with whom I was on good terms. There was usally someone around to have a coffee with and a laugh. Our kids school was round the corner and there were regular school "discos" which were more like drinking nights for the parents and teachers while the kids were supervised! Despite being in a same sex relationship we were accepted. My only gripe about the area was that it was difficult to get to know neighbours in central London and when not working, one could at times feel a bit isolated and reserved. I guess I am still basically a friendly lad from England's N.E. despite the posh W1 address. So I had thought for some time that Australia would be more laid back, more friendly, more neigbourly (watched too many episodes of bloody neighbours)and a better place to raise the kids rather than London's West end.

We are in one Sidney's forrested subburbs on the Northern Beaches. We have been renting my sister-in-laws house for the last three months. She lives else where. I introduced myself to most of the neigbours in our small street before Christmas but I have not had an opportunity to even say hello to anyone since. It is a quiet neighbourhood. At least that is what I assume. Except my sister in law, who is perhaps not being terribly helpful feeds us back messages from these unknown and unseen neighbours that they do not like our boys playing in the street and doing this or doing that. I have tried to be patient and suggested that she ask the neigbours to speak to us directly.
It is quite off putting to think that neighbours are having conversations about one's family behind one's back. So that is grip 1 & 2

Grip 3 is that I never really envisaged living in Sydney. We had both hoped that we might have been able to buy a caravan park. (We are both keen caravanners and we thought the kids would also love the life syle). We wanted to be within a forty minute drive or ith Sydney or Melbourn or Brisbane. We did all the brokerage bit but have drawn a blank and to be honest we are feeling pretty cut off now so we are now anxious about moving further away from a city - which at least we are used to. It also looks as if the caravan park idea is a bit of a dead duck. The good areas are just outside of our price range and do not appear very viable.

I am sure that people mean well (Well my sister in law to be precise) when she says we are living inthe wrong area but the last thing I really want to do is move back into a city! I like the comparative space and the greenery and the beaches but I don't like the lack of neighbourliness. The boys are happy enough in their school, although we have some doubts about whether there will be the same sort of support (special needs) that they got from their school in London, but hey do not complain and when asked which school they prefer, they say this one. So that brings up the question of moving the children again. They do need some stability. I have bean to join a couple of organisations and they are in town. Are we just stuffed or is there somwhere out there that we might feel at home and within a budget of 7 -800K :scared: Thanks for reading this and I would really appreciate any constructive feed back.
Hi Ian
I know what you mean. The first house we could afford was an ex local authority house on a sprawling estate, children were out playing all the time with no problems. We saved and saved and finally bought a house in a nice street in a nice area and guess what...no children out playing and when our 10yr old son is out playing with skateboard or football it is obvious that the neighbours are not happy. He is a polite little boy who has respect for his elders but my patience is put to the test when what looks like a kind old lady would not let him have his ball back from her garden, when I asked her she said he can have it back but if it ever comes back in her garden she will burst it.....
I have learnt from this and when we get to Australia and start the search I will make sure that I look at roads either at weekends or school holidays and will only buy if I see signs of children... Probably went wrong here because we bought a bungalow in an area that feels like Gods waiting room....
If I were you I wouldnt worry to much about moving the kids again, I am sure they get the stabiltiy they need from their parents and sibling.....Good Luck with your search...
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:01 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Hi Ian

Sorry to hear your not finding your area friendly etc, but something about your SIL struck me.My friend rented a house off his cousin, and things did not seem as good between them as they should and had been. Eventually he found out that because they were cousins the house owner had lowered the rent slightly and felt that he could not put it up to the going rate when my friend was still there a year later, and was feeling very resentful, and that he also felt cramped by a relative coming to live so close even though he knew he had not been given any reason for feeling so. Not saying this is your SIL problem, but you never know with people, how about telling her that you do not want to listen to the complaints second hand and that when someone comes to your door, you will listen to them (maybe a bit confrontational) Hope that you find somewhere to be happy as you all deserve that. Good luck Halflinggirl
Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

The boys were adopted in the UK and they are UK born. We were one of the first same ex couples to be approved by the British Courts and as we were one of the first the preparation lasted a bit longer (no complaints as it was helpful) 2 years. Also the final adoption hearing was heard in the High Court just to make sure there would be no challenges. It was a very positive experience. The Judge was complimentary and after telling us that it was in the boys best interests to remain with us and be adopted (they had been placed with us for two years after we were prepared and approved) she gave us all "Congratulation" card asked the boys if they would like to come up to the bench and sit in the judges chair! Still the pics! As for Queensland, I am not sure but I think it is the same in NSW. However as you say Australia has signed up to the Geneva convention and therefore I assume that it has to recognise us as a family. But yes - I would be pleased if you could do some research for us as we may want to move North.
Brings a new dimension to "I'm the only gay in the village" line!!! How loyal exactly is you sister in law? can you trust her? Is she saying these things to make you move away, or make you wary of your neighbours? I only say this as I have an absolutely terrible family that really wouldn't think twice about doing stuff like that! So, I wouldn't put it past her! Anyway, if your feeling unsettled then do something about it now before you get stuck in a rut. When its the hols, pile the kids into the car and go up the east coast. Have a good look at areas and see what you find. With regards to becoming accepted, you may have a struggle on your hands. In the UK being gay is nothing really, London is fabulous, multicultural and just a fantastic place to go (sunday morning, in the spring, sitting outside having a coffee and chat with mates are fond memories for me), the cities and suburbs in oz seem different, kinda distant. People generally keep themselves to themselves. We made friends whilst there, some aussies but not as many as if i'd moved into a little village in the UK! I have also found some aussies to be racist in every respect! Are you looking for similar minded people to socialise with or anyone? Sorry lots of questions but intrigued as my family live in Balmain and Glebe in Sydney and have stacks of gay mates (male and female). Mind you, none of them have kids so they're still partying away down Paddington as if they were in there 20's (yes it is a hilarious sight)! Anyway good luck, chin up and I really do hope you find somewhere to settle as you must feel gutted and in limbo at the mo. Take care love annie X
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

I've just made some inquiries on children adopted overseas by same sex couples. Basically because legistrations in the state and federal governments are different, cases such as yours would probably need to be looked at individually. When you and children migrated to Australia, did the children come in under guardianship? One of the officers at adoption suggests that you contact legal services in each state to find out what the implications are.

For Brisbane/Queensland, you can contact:

South Brisbane Immigration and Community Legal Services Inc
1st Floor
170 Boundary Street
West End, QLD 4101
Phone: (07)38463189
Fax: (07) 3844 3073

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree with Sandra. Most contact with other kids and parents comes via their schools or other activities. The 'Neighbours' thing of people popping in and out and kids playing in the street has never happened anywhere that I've lived in Sydney. We've always been friendly with our neighbours, but never to the degree that we live in others pockets, and no kids play in the street in our area.

I think you're more likely to find this close neighbourly thing in smaller places. In country towns, your neighbours will know far more about you than you want them to - but you'll also find more outdated attitudes out in the country, so you might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire by moving too far out of town.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on finding somewhere where you and your partner are happy and not worry too much about the kids. If you like the Northern Beaches, then stay in the Northern Beaches. The kids will settle anywhere that you're happy and they're really useful when you want to meet people! Get involved in their school, sport or other activities and eventually you'll find friendly, like-minded people.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:33 pm
aussie73

Tasmania and Queensland would probably be the states to advoid. But
St. Kilda in Melbourne probably has the largest gay community outside Sydney.

Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sandra
Just my opinion but I find my leafy suburb a pain in the arse for neighbours! So in no way do I think you should start looking at yourselves to change or move areas first. I have every sympathy with what you are going through.

We lived in a rental for a year before buying in this same area.....tried with the neighbours....no joy! Moved into new house and after 18 months and three BBQ invites to the locals .....no joy! Where we last lived in the UK, we had an annual street BBQ on the green and the kids played in the street as standard.

So forget you needing to change! There are odd unfriendly folk here in Aus and Sydney seems to have more than its share of them

What we did here......we joined the mainstream boring bits....one of ours is in scouts and hubby is on the committee as maintenance man #2!!! So far he has to hold a ladder I think

The P&C group at the school is a great source of getting 'in' or just helping out on the general help days at the school.

The local bowling club!!! Yes I know please laugh but we joined as social members, allows us to be seen and it also holds a Friday night Family BBQ - nobody speaks to us yet apart from the barman and barlady but we we will keep trying

Because of scouts we have been away to a family camps and despite our fears really had a great time. We also got invited to a 'pot luck' committee dinner and I did manage to like it a bit - hubby made me promise I would not be rude about the 70's. But if they had made me throw my keys in any pot I was gone! Apart from the social side of the scouts for the kids, the camps and things you get to take the kids to let you see different places that you possibly would not see if just being a normal tourist to areas. I know bits of NSW most people don't get to go....eg Camp Karriong (still laughing about Carry On!). But it might also open opportunities for future work/business opportunities?

My daughter is special needs as well, partially deaf. We got very little support in primary but have to say the high school she has just started this year is fantastic so far. I have since found out more getting help and learning not to wait for it here. I think part of my problem was being new I thought I could ask for less!

The new start is daunting and when people who live in the same street are difficult it can make it worse. But do not jump to move just yet try some other areas of the community where your input and help are appreciated.

I have also sent a pm

Chin up

Sandra

Thanks very much Sandra - you made us laugh. The boys are in the cubs, they have signed up for soccer (and us gay parents :scared: ) and I will nominate Robert for the P and C. I don't think my nerves are up to it

Perth .... Looks almost tempting! I think the gals group sounds fun but not sure about W.A. plans to roll back gay rights won over the last 10 years.
We do appreciate the feed back and it nothing else we can have a laugh! What a great community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.