Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

gas pipe explosion

gas pipe explosion

Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice
Default gas pipe explosion

has anyone else been affected by the gas pipe explosion, I have been told that I will probably lose my job which I really enjoy by next friday due to having to shut down there factory due to no gas,

yes yes I hear that there are lots of jobs out there but from what I understand that it is happening all over perth, I am a truckie and have spoke to loads of truckie and they are hearing it everywhere.

this is a serious problem and could put WA and its people back a long way and we are getting no real timescale as when the pipe will be back on line.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gas pipe explosion

What explosion? I can't imagine there is only one gas pipe? People losing jobs and presumably businesses closing down sounds very drastic to me
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:34 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
What explosion? I can't imagine there is only one gas pipe? People losing jobs and presumably businesses closing down sounds very drastic to me
The plant responsible for 30% of our gas in WA is out of action for a few months. It is a major problem. We are asking federal government for permission to access emergency fuel oil at a naval base, re-opening a mothballed coal-fired power station and have even been told to wear more clothes or a rug rather than use heaters. There are even concerns it could slow the entire Australian economy if companies have to stop work.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...3-1245,00.html

G
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:40 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20

God grief. My friend in Melly hadn't heard of our gas explosion either.

It happened last week at a 'gas station' place (not sure of official name) which supplies 1/3 of WA's gas supply.

Yes. lots of job losses and job stand downs in places like laundries and abbatoirs which according to the paper yesterday will cause a shortage of beef unless we import some from over East. And we have been asked to have shorter showers and turn down the heating.

Again, according to the paper (so not sure if it's true) even some mines are cutting back on output.

The brick kilns are on limited output causing a shortage of bricks with the knock on effect of a construction industry slowdown.

Lots of state pollies talking to the Feds to get some emergency supplies released.

Not good for anyone. I really feel for those who have lost/are about to lose their jobs.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:45 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

They have even turned our desalination plant down to a trickle.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey sounds a nightmare! I think I've seen the news most evenings and it's the first I've heard of it but it being in such an isolated place.............

Seriously though, I hope none of you lose your jobs over it.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Thay must be out of there trees A dirty coal powered plant
thay need to wake up and realise that the enviroment is just as

IMPORTANT AS THE ECONOMY
The amount of damage to the enviroment is criminal what thay
are contemplating:curse:
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

Yep, OH job is cutting shifts (manufacturing) more days off!!

Just watch how the price of EVERTHING here in WA goes up because of the Gas problem, (expected to last till October)

But.....will those prices ever COME DOWN when the shortage is over??????

Bj
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:08 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by stariston
Thay must be out of there trees A dirty coal powered plant
thay need to wake up and realise that the enviroment is just as

IMPORTANT AS THE ECONOMY
The amount of damage to the enviroment is criminal what thay
are contemplating:curse:
Fair goes, it is only for 3 months to get through this crisis.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 6:48 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

the earliest the gas will be back on is late July, and then August for almost full production.

I'm quite surprised Apache energy had so many gas customers, I really didn't realise that they supplied every single industrial, commercial and home gas user and with only 30% market share!

On the positive side, there were no deaths and injuries during the explosion and resulting fire.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
Fair goes, it is only for 3 months to get through this crisis.

What then ?seem there hell bent on no nuclear power but content
to kill any wildlife and the enviroment thay cant be seriously thinking
of fireing up a coal fired plant Seems the yanks company who own it
so much for Australian gas ownership ? are doing a runner on liability
Next thing WA will be like parts of China and the Boltics pumping
out tons of burn off you may have to wear a mask to walk around Perth

To everyone effected indirectly and financially my sympathies
but to the WA government there should have been a plan B In the
event Ie cold fusion and greener alternatives
Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

What a stupid response.
It's well established with todays technology that most " greener' alternatives are no capable of producing consistent base load generation for large population centres. Not wave, solar, wind etc. Do you really think one medium size coal fired station opening for a few months is going to make an iota of difference to the enviroment and kill wildlife ? Thats a typical alarmist and nonsensical tree hugging statement. There's thousands of larger power stations in China and more opening every week FFS.
What do you want the people in WA to do ? Eat cold food, burn candles, pospone operations in hospitals just in case some wildlife might be harmed?
I assume you do none of the above on a daily basis , so why should others?
I wasn't aware that WA government was so close to producing cold fusion they could just open a generating station at a moments notice. Hell these Perth people can really keep a secret.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Last edited by stariston; Jun 13th 2008 at 8:12 am.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Hadn't heard anything about this over in Melbourne until reading this post. Sounds quite serious if they are talking of laying people off work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.