Gas Fitters

Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Damian Gowan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas Fitters

Does anyone know who regulates Gas Fitters in Queensland as I need to get a licence to work.Do they have a Gas Safe/Corgi. I've tried the government web sites but they don't seem to know.Help please.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gas Fitters

Originally Posted by Damian Gowan
Does anyone know who regulates Gas Fitters in Queensland as I need to get a licence to work.Do they have a Gas Safe/Corgi. I've tried the government web sites but they don't seem to know.Help please.
You need to get your licence from the Department of Mines and Energy, the website address is www.dme.qld.gov.au. The contact there is Ray Watt.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:35 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Really??
I was under the impression that you first had to register as a plumber with Queensland and when you take in your paperwork and show them your gas safe/ corgi stuff, they issue you with a provisional plumbers licience and a gas card.
see thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656701

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I would also love to know the answer.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lyx
Really??
I was under the impression that you first had to register as a plumber with Queensland and when you take in your paperwork and show them your gas safe/ corgi stuff, they issue you with a provisional plumbers licience and a gas card.
see thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656701

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I would also love to know the answer.
Sorry not sure about plumbers, my husband is a gas fitter. He took his corgi card and qualifications along to the Dept Mines and Energy and got his provisional licence. This was three years ago, so may have changed now.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:56 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Ah, I see.
I take it a gas fitter is different from a plumber who does gas?
Sorry I'm only a plumbers wife and he'll be horrified that I'm actually having to ask the question.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lyx
Ah, I see.
I take it a gas fitter is different from a plumber who does gas?
Sorry I'm only a plumbers wife and he'll be horrified that I'm actually having to ask the question.
Sorry, can't help with the plumbing question, husband won't do plumbing - doesn't like fixing other people toilets. Seriously you are probably right with what you have been told about getting a plumbing licence, like I said my husband wasn't interested so went straight to get his gas licence, so that is all I know.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:22 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=barney41;8404545]Sorry, can't help with the plumbing question, husband won't do plumbing - doesn't like fixing other people toilets. QUOTE]

Lucky you, putting OH'S dirty overalls in the washer is often very traumatic.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Lyx;8404590]
Originally Posted by barney41
Sorry, can't help with the plumbing question, husband won't do plumbing - doesn't like fixing other people toilets. QUOTE]

Lucky you, putting OH'S dirty overalls in the washer is often very traumatic.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:55 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry not sure about plumbers, my husband is a gas fitter. He took his corgi card and qualifications along to the Dept Mines and Energy and got his provisional licence. This was three years ago, so may have changed now.
Hi Barney,
My OH is a corgi registered gas fitter and boiler technician. I was under the impression that there wasn't really much work in this field in Australia - not that is paid well anyway.
Have you found things to be different?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

There is loads of natural gas in Brisbane and the Gold Coast as well as LPG, plenty of work if your with the right company, you cant install electric water systems now, only gas, solar or heat pumps, I'm employed for a company based in Brisbane but I mainly cover the Gold Coast. As for the licencing, Make an Appt at the Dept of mines & energy in Brisbane and show Inspectors your corgi card and you get a gas licence, I got mine in just Natural Gas with an LPG restriction on it, this has now been removed as Ive completed enough supervised work on it. THey also give you contacts of companies to contact for work. This does not give you a plumbing licence, totally different licensing people give that out, the best you can get is a provisional no matter how experienced/qualified you were in the UK. Feel free to ask any questions, Ive been through it all last year.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:00 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humpy
There is loads of natural gas in Brisbane and the Gold Coast as well as LPG, plenty of work if your with the right company, you cant install electric water systems now, only gas, solar or heat pumps, I'm employed for a company based in Brisbane but I mainly cover the Gold Coast. As for the licencing, Make an Appt at the Dept of mines & energy in Brisbane and show Inspectors your corgi card and you get a gas licence, I got mine in just Natural Gas with an LPG restriction on it, this has now been removed as Ive completed enough supervised work on it. THey also give you contacts of companies to contact for work. This does not give you a plumbing licence, totally different licensing people give that out, the best you can get is a provisional no matter how experienced/qualified you were in the UK. Feel free to ask any questions, Ive been through it all last year.
Thanks folks. This is the best thread I've seen on gas fitting in the past few years! We thought my OH would have to retrain but it looks like this may not be the case
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kapri
Thanks folks. This is the best thread I've seen on gas fitting in the past few years! We thought my OH would have to retrain but it looks like this may not be the case

It can take a while to get employment though, must say that, I was here for 8 months before I got my current job, I had 5 other jobs in that time doing all sorts of different things.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:04 am
Happy migrant

It can take a while to get employment though, must say that, I was here for 8 months before I got my current job, I had 5 other jobs in that time doing all sorts of different things.
He will be happy to take anything in the short term. I will have to work full time (nurse) because I'll be on a 457 visa, so we'll have at least one full income from the start.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kapri
He will be happy to take anything in the short term. I will have to work full time (nurse) because I'll be on a 457 visa, so we'll have at least one full income from the start.
My wife is a nurse with Queensland Health at Robina on the Gold Coast, after working for them for about 10 months, they sponsored
us for Permenant Residency, she is very happy with her job and hospital.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:49 am
Happy migrant

My wife is a nurse with Queensland Health at Robina on the Gold Coast, after working for them for about 10 months, they sponsored
us for Permenant Residency, she is very happy with her job and hospital.
That's good news

What speciality is she in? I'm in mental health.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.