Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gas Engineer from UK needing some advice

Gas Engineer from UK needing some advice

Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:57 am
Just Joined

kipper44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas Engineer from UK needing some advice

Hi, me and my wife are wanting to move to Perth. I am a qualified gas engineer with 15 years experience in the uk, but I am struggling to find the same sort of job in OZ.... Can anyone help please???
Old Nov 13th 2014, 9:10 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas Engineer from UK needing some advice

Do any of these descriptions match what you do:

1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1 ?

Engineers in Australia typically have a 4-year university degree and skills assessments are conducted by Engineers Australia.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Hi, yeah kind off.... In the UK you have to be gas safe registered where you resit exams every 5 years, Im classed as a service and breakdown engineer on domestic gas appliances..
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kipper44
Hi, me and my wife are wanting to move to Perth. I am a qualified gas engineer with 15 years experience in the uk, but I am struggling to find the same sort of job in OZ.... Can anyone help please???
Well we use gas here, so I am sure there are jobs.

The place to start though, for most people, is with the visa not the job. Or do you already have that lined up?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 10:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yeah kind off.... In the UK you have to be gas safe registered where you resit exams every 5 years, Im classed as a service and breakdown engineer on domestic gas appliances..
Are you an engineer or a technician? In Australia an engineer studies at university for 3-4 years and has a degree in engineering. Someone who installs and services gas appliances is a technician.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Not looked into visa's yet, we wanted to see if there is work available before we start the ball rolling....
My wife's a veterinary nurse and was offered a job several years ago in Alice Springs but she got cold feet at the last moment. Our thoughts are that my profession might be more in demand in Oz than hers but not too sure anymore. We might have more luck with her profession..
Thanks anyway☺
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Not looked into visa's yet, we wanted to see if there is work available before we start the ball rolling....
My wife's a veterinary nurse and was offered a job several years ago in Alice Springs but she got cold feet at the last moment. Our thoughts are that my profession might be more in demand in Oz than hers but not too sure anymore. We might have more luck with her profession..
Thanks anyway☺
Australia has gas engineers and veterinary nurses, you can take that as a given. Australians use gas, have pets and keep animals, so there will be jobs. It really is the visa you need to think about.

Veterinary nurse is only on the CSOL and only one state is sponsoring at the moment, so actually your wife might find it quite hard to get the visa.

You have not answered Dorothy's post regarding engineer versus technician. If you work on the installation side of things, then gasfitter is on the SOL, which means someone in your occupation should find getting a visa easier than someone in hers.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Nov 13th 2014 at 11:18 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Hi Dorothy

I would be classed as a technician, in the uk we use the term 'engineer' for most trades but i am now finding it actually means something different over there.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

MY husband is a gasfitter, we are in Qld so can only tell you about here. In Qld he had to get his LPG and natural gas licenses, this entailed sitting the relevant exams and was very time consuming. You will have to check with the Perth equilavent to Qld Dept of Natural Resources and Mines to find out about licenses there. My husband works 100% on LPG and getting a job was via knowing someone.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, I've noticed that a lot of domestic gas work is done by plumbers who have an extra gas fitting certification. So if you can do both you will have better opportunities

The UK is the only place I know where artisans and technicians are called engineers, so you'll need to get your head round that with the job classifications here

Good luck