Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gas and electric suppliers in aus and details on bills

Gas and electric suppliers in aus and details on bills

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas and electric suppliers in aus and details on bills

Having just moved over a short time ago and moved into a rental I have gone with AGL to supply my gas and electric, so far no problems, BUT

I have just received my bills and on the back of the electric one there is a charge included regarding ambulance cover! and on the gas bill my bill is $136 from december to march and on the back the breakdown is as follows:-

Gas consumption $39.77 supply charge $53.99 and then there is an establishment fee of $30, seems a lot of extra charges to me just for a gas consumption of just under $40, or is this normal?

Can anyone help and is this the same for all electric and gas suppliers.

Thank you for your help

P.S. Did try a company at the beginning called Origin, but held on the phone for over 20 minutes and then gave up, but others may have had better luck with them.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:03 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Gas and electric suppliers in aus and details on bills

Originally Posted by Mrs M
Having just moved over a short time ago and moved into a rental I have gone with AGL to supply my gas and electric, so far no problems, BUT

I have just received my bills and on the back of the electric one there is a charge included regarding ambulance cover! and on the gas bill my bill is $136 from december to march and on the back the breakdown is as follows:-

Gas consumption $39.77 supply charge $53.99 and then there is an establishment fee of $30, seems a lot of extra charges to me just for a gas consumption of just under $40, or is this normal?

Can anyone help and is this the same for all electric and gas suppliers.

Thank you for your help

P.S. Did try a company at the beginning called Origin, but held on the phone for over 20 minutes and then gave up, but others may have had better luck with them.
I switched from Origin to AGL for electric not that long ago. Origin ring you back pretty quick after you switch away

All suppliers have standing charges + actual consumption costs.

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I think they all charge around $30 to connect your service
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

We switched from AGL to Red Energy when we moved. They have one of the lowest supply charges around.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs M
I have just received my bills and on the back of the electric one there is a charge included regarding ambulance cover!
Sounds like you could be in Qld? If so, that's how they do it there - here in Victoria you pay for "membership" as they call it, so you opt in. If you don't have "membership" and need an ambulance (including transferring to other hospital) then you could end up with a big bill.

In Qld I think all residents are covered because of the charge on electric bills. The cover includes when visiting other states too.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

has anyone got any websites to compare gas and electric for charges down here in melbourne ( like uswitch in the uk )

cheers steve
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
has anyone got any websites to compare gas and electric for charges down here in melbourne ( like uswitch in the uk )

cheers steve
There are quite a few -
Code:
http://www.switchwise.com.au/
Code:
http://www.shoparound.com.au/
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your replies, I will look into the web site mentioned and see if I can get it any cheaper.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

i have looked at the websites mentioned

thanks for that

are there any energy companies that are to be avoided ( like telstra for broadband )

cheapest ones coming up for me are tru energy and red energy for both gas and electric ( dual fuel deal )anyone deal with these and are they o.k

cheers steve
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
i have looked at the websites mentioned

thanks for that

are there any energy companies that are to be avoided ( like telstra for broadband )

cheapest ones coming up for me are tru energy and red energy for both gas and electric ( dual fuel deal )anyone deal with these and are they o.k

cheers steve
Used to be with Tru and OH used to work for them. They are big, unhelpful and nothing special. They didn't used to be the cheapest. Just switched to Red and so far so good. Very easy connection, nice people to talk to but as I've only been with them for 3 months, hard to comment on anything more...