Gas or electric

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

AndrewP is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Gas or electric

Does anyone know whether gas is available in Australia? Obviously its available in bottles for BBQs etc but is it available for kitchen cookers as in the UK. Without going into the technical details we're wondering whether its worth taking our expensive cooker with us to Oz.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:30 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gas or electric

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Does anyone know whether gas is available in Australia? Obviously its available in bottles for BBQs etc but is it available for kitchen cookers as in the UK. Without going into the technical details we're wondering whether its worth taking our expensive cooker with us to Oz.
Gas cookers also run from slightly larger "little bottles". No mains gas.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:33 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

It depend where you live. Very little mains gas in Brissy. Big bottles of LPG are used instead.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Here is a link to a common supplier "Energex"
http://www.energex.com.au/for_home/e..._gas_uses.html

It may give you some info., including available options for Gas supply.

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

We've been wondering the same thing, i suggest perhaps you read my thread 'Range Cookers in Oz -is it worth taking one?' which i put on the other day (31st Jan 05). Got some great replies, including a map of gas pipelines etc. absolutely wonderful what these B.Exps can cum up with!!! Thanks again to everyone who replied!!
Sherie.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:09 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have a gas hot water system at our house & gas cooker at our rental. Both supplied by bottled gas. (I cant wait to get a gas cooker for our house ). There is mains gas in Brisbane, but its a bit limited. My mum had mains gas at Sherwood.

Bottled gas is quite a "normal" way of having gas supplied over here, we used to have gas cookers & fridges (we had no electricity) run from bottles on a property I used to live on, the closest town was 100 miles away! :scared:

As long as it runs on the same gas it should be fine.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 2nd 2005 at 11:11 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We have a gas water heater and a gas hob all fed by mains at North Lakes (North Brisbane).

We use www.originenergy.com.au
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Like others have said totally depends where you are going for mains gas. Brisbane is far and few between having mains gas. Some of the new estates do have gas lines, and they tend to advertise the fact when they are selling/releasing blocks of land off.

we have a gas built in cooktop (gas bottle), as we can't cook on the electric things the same, not that I can cook , but give me a flame anyday , and an electric built in oven, which we bought to put in when we were building.

Most modern established homes have built in cook tops (electric a lot of them, but some gas too) , and a built in oven.

To be honest I think it's a waste of time bringing your cooker with you, unless you can not bear to part with it. If you're buying a new modern home , chances are the kitchen is fitted with the cooker etc in the fitments , so it would mean demolishing part of your fitted kitchen to put a free standing cooker in

Victoria , I'd assume has a lot of mains gas that way.

all depends,are you buying, building? If you are building fair enough, or buying an older home with work to do . But, buying a fairly new " modern/ no work to be done home" you'll proably ( edit*probably) find that you will have to rip out part of the nice "new" fitted kitchen. Depends what sort of home you will buying.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 3rd 2005 at 2:44 am.