Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gas/elec/phone/internet recommendations/experiences?

Gas/elec/phone/internet recommendations/experiences?

Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas/elec/phone/internet recommendations/experiences?

Hey all. We are finally moving from Griffith next week, to Orange NSW. House (rental) sorted. Need to get utilities, telephone and internet arranged over the next few days.

Any recommendations, general experiences would be greatly received.

We don't really know much about utilities companies here.

The biggest phone/internet safe-option telco seems to be Telstra, but their bundles seem a tad pricey. $80+/month for 200GB? Seems pricey, and don't like the idea of 24 month commitment. I know it is different to the UK but I was used to unlimited for just £20/month. What about the others - dodo, TPG, internode, etc. I like the 0 month commitments. They seem more reasonable $40-$30/month or less, but crap service? Also, on this, anyone ever used 'naked' internet (i.e. internet but no telephone)?

All advice & info much appreciated. Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas/elec/phone/internet recommendations/experiences?

We use Naked Internode have been with them 4 years ,no problems at all and get voip phone calls.
When we first got here signed up with Telstra,they were expensive and hell to be with. Unfortunately we signed a 24 month contract.I would never recommend them.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:55 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Hey all. We are finally moving from Griffith next week, to Orange NSW. House (rental) sorted. Need to get utilities, telephone and internet arranged over the next few days.

Any recommendations, general experiences would be greatly received.
As far as ADSL is concerned, some suggestions :
  • If you haven't built up a credit history yet, you will find Telstra a hassle to get phone AND ADSL from. You may have to split them to sidestep the checks (and not having to be dependent on Telstra is good.
  • Put your address into something like http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au or http://www.yourbroadband.com.au/ and see what they say about the location. They are not that accurate, but via the tools you can often get a feel for what's possible in the area.
  • If your area can provide services from other providers than Telstra, you will find it cheaper. Check http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ for stories of who's good and who's a horror.
  • Also, if you are able to dump Telstra, you might find that Naked ADSL and a VoIP connection is better; depends on your usage.
  • Speed is connected to distance from the exchange, which the above sites will help you with. 60-100GB is more than enough for most people - even downloading decent TV
  • In the end you will have to visit the ISP sites, but you almost need a phone number to get a good idea of service.
  • You also need to check if you are in an NBN area, if so the prices won't be any lower, but the speed should be higher, and you need different electronics.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use telstra. In our area they are always having to come out to fix the lines.We have an Optus IQ bundle for phone, tv and net. I think it is unlimited download ( at least with 3 of us on the net, we never reach any limit, and that includes downloading movies etc.) and free local calls. Costs about $109 pcm I think, but as I have nothing to do with it, I can't say for certain..they have just upgraded us to netgear for no extra charge.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Feb 21st 2013 at 3:52 am.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:05 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Thing about ISPs is you only ever care about the service when something goes wrong. Telstra are a rip-off and should be avoided wherever possible.

TPG have shit customer service - but I've only called them ONCE in 8years so its no big deal.

<$60 PCM for unlimited internet (including phone line for ADSL2+) is pretty decent and $5 a month with MyNetFone gives me unlimited calls to Australia or UK....

I've looked recently and recon I could find a cheaper ISP for about $25 unlimited - but add in the "Telstra tax" of $23 for the unused phone line for ADSL and its hardly worth the grief of swapping.

Whenever I've looked at Naked ADSL plans they've always looked more expensive than standard ADSL + phone line....

Tip for new players: If you do get a Telstra phone line - dont EVER make any calls on it. It'll cost you a fortune and having a phone plugged in to the line means you'll be bugged by telemarketers every evening. Leave your telstra number listed in whitepages, but dont plug a phone in - and USE a VOIP number instead. I havent had a singel unsolicited call in 8 years!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Thing about ISPs is you only ever care about the service when something goes wrong. Telstra are a rip-off and should be avoided wherever possible.

TPG have shit customer service - but I've only called them ONCE in 8years so its no big deal.

<$60 PCM for unlimited internet (including phone line for ADSL2+) is pretty decent and $5 a month with MyNetFone gives me unlimited calls to Australia or UK....

I've looked recently and recon I could find a cheaper ISP for about $25 unlimited - but add in the "Telstra tax" of $23 for the unused phone line for ADSL and its hardly worth the grief of swapping.

Whenever I've looked at Naked ADSL plans they've always looked more expensive than standard ADSL + phone line....

Tip for new players: If you do get a Telstra phone line - dont EVER make any calls on it. It'll cost you a fortune and having a phone plugged in to the line means you'll be bugged by telemarketers every evening. Leave your telstra number listed in whitepages, but dont plug a phone in - and USE a VOIP number instead. I havent had a singel unsolicited call in 8 years!
TPG also do unlimited everything at present... Overseas calls, Aus Mobiles, Net... only for new customers @ 79 bucks per month.... Nothing more to pay.

I'm actually considering changing from IInet, which I've done twice before to other companies and always regretted...... Main stumbling block this time around is Churn @ 10 days max without the net.

Plus I've got IInets Fetch TV which I'd miss if I switched I spose..... not that I use it much.

Might have to wait and see what happens with RD's Telco in Gladstone..... Or was it somewhere else in Qland ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 21st 2013 at 4:13 am.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so so far it looks like my broadband options are limited to dodo and Telstra. Pros and cons for both. Are Telstra really bad, or could it be a case that with many big companies you only really hear about the crap instances?

Any thoughts on gas & elec y'all?

Cheers
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so so far it looks like my broadband options are limited to dodo and Telstra. Pros and cons for both. Are Telstra really bad, or could it be a case that with many big companies you only really hear about the crap instances?

Cheers
To be truthful as bad as Telstra are, I'd pick them before Dodo.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:44 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
To be truthful as bad as Telstra are, I'd pick them before Dodo.
We're on Dodo and have had no problems unlimited downloads and phone for $60 Telstra couldn't get anywhere near that for the same price.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
We're on Dodo and have had no problems unlimited downloads and phone for $60 Telstra couldn't get anywhere near that for the same price.
I've only ever heard of complaints about Dodo... They usually account for more than their fair share of complaints. Maybe they've lifted their game.

I'm going on information I've read on Whirlpool I must admit. Where the consensus is bargepole material.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:44 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
You are unlikely to be truly limited to Telstra or dodo. Most ISPs do 'off-net' plans that use Telstra phone lines and equipment to provide the service. That makes them more expensive and less generous than the 'on-net' plans, but at least you can get some customer service.

Take a look around, and be careful about long term contracts and setup fees.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:49 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've only ever heard of complaints about Dodo... They usually account for more than their fair share of complaints. Maybe they've lifted their game.

I'm going on information I've read on Whirlpool I must admit. Where the consensus is bargepole material.
maybe we've just been lucky so far long may it continue

It's faster than our last UK connection - 1 poxy meg but nowhere near the virgin 50meg connection prior to that Doesn't help when most of what I want to stream is content outside Oz so limited by the international connection speed anyway
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

We use DoDo and have had no problems whatsoever - unlike when we were with Telstra

Dodo even transferred everything from the NT to Melbourne last month when we moved with no extra charges and no hassle x
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers. Have decided to take a punt on dodo. We'll suck up the $99 set up fee for the flexibility of having no contract, unlimited downloads, and cheaper overall. If they suck then it'll be easy enough to chop. Thanks all for your input on this, tis much appreciated.

Any thoughts on utilities, anyone? Am currently looking at Origin. Prices for gas & elec appear to be identical to AGL; however if I commit to 12 months with Origin then we qualify for some useful discounts - as much as 16% in total.