Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gas Costs - They're having a laugh

Gas Costs - They're having a laugh

Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas Costs - They're having a laugh

Got my gas bill in today and I couldn`t believe how little it was - $51.42 for 3 months!

We do not have gas heating but cook for 2 adults and 2 kids every day on a gas cooker and have showers and baths.

This works out at about 16c a day or 6p(?).
Old Apr 1st 2005, 10:12 am
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Gas Costs - They're having a laugh

Originally Posted by jasonK944
Got my gas bill in today and I couldn`t believe how little it was - $51.42 for 3 months!

We do not have gas heating but cook for 2 adults and 2 kids every day on a gas cooker and have showers and baths.

My gosh.. our bill was £410 for 3 months (Cardiff, UK).. yes its been cold and this (rented) house is single glazed but still, $52!? :scared: :scared: :scared: !!

Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Jeepers, wish we were on gas! Have all electric in house we are renting and its costing us a heck of a lot more than that for 3 months! (2 adults 2 teenagers) perhaps thats the difference

Think yourself very lucky!

Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:39 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Gas Costs - They're having a laugh

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Jeepers, wish we were on gas! Have all electric in house we are renting and its costing us a heck of a lot more than that for 3 months! (2 adults 2 teenagers) perhaps thats the difference

Think yourself very lucky!

Our relatives live in Perth and they said that you are billed different amounts for electricity depending on what time of day it is. It is much cheaper in the evening and thats when most people do their washing etc. They said it takes a bit of getting used to but they have been out there three years now.

Do not know about the gas though.

R.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonK944

If your gas billing works anything like ours in QLD, we pay a monthly direct debit for about $70, and then every 3 months they send us a bill for the difference.

Are you sure your not paying a direct debit amount each month, and this is just the extra?

I know I was quite impressed when we got our first gas bill until I remembered I was paying them $70 a month directly anyway

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
If your gas billing works anything like ours in QLD, we pay a monthly direct debit for about $70, and then every 3 months they send us a bill for the difference.

Are you sure your not paying a direct debit amount each month, and this is just the extra?

I know I was quite impressed when we got our first gas bill until I remembered I was paying them $70 a month directly anyway

Cheers,
JTL
We do a dual fuel, direct debit, the make up of which is, 120 bucks per month electricity, and 70 dollars per month Gas, Only been going about 5 months, No extra bills. I do know though in the Winter our gas bill has been as high as 330 bucks per 2 months, however in the summer its down as low as 80 bucks for 2 months. Gas Hotwater, Gas cooking, and one Gas wall furnace. I do use a Wood Heater in the Winter as well.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Thats about HALF of what ours is.......and we very rarely cook (cos I cant)
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:04 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

We pay about $90 per 3 months, and that's just the two of us, a very small house, only one gas heater we've hardly used(it stinks of gas...).
We cook on the gas stove(maybe 5 times a week at the most), but have an electric oven/microwave.
And we're away quite a few weekends.
And our washing machine doesn't use hot water, it heats the cold water up itself.

JTL must be right, and otherwise, good on ya! You must take short showers
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are right, our neighbours told us this a while back, just isn't convenient really, not most of the time anyway to wait till evening, just want to get that sort of chore out of the way by then! thats why they do it cause they know most people use more during the day.

So, theres no hope for us decreasing our bill by much I dont think. Will have to try and find a property with GAS next time.

Thanks for the advice though, appreciated.

Cheers
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
We cook on the gas stove(maybe 5 times a week at the most), but have an electric oven/microwave.
I'd be worried if you had a gas microwave

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
We pay about $90 per 3 months, and that's just the two of us, a very small house, only one gas heater we've hardly used(it stinks of gas...).
And we're away quite a few weekends.
And our washing machine doesn't use hot water, it heats the cold water up itself.

JTL must be right, and otherwise, good on ya! You must take short showers
We only / mostly use cold water for washing clothes I know that, only other factor I can think of is, the setting on the hotwater isn't terribly hot, say about 60-65 degrees, very rarely have a bath, strictly showers only, because we have an outdoor electrically heated spa, errm plus we use a convection microwave, In fact I'm cooking some chicken wings in it as I type, on the convection side of things that is.

Satay wing anyone ?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:27 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'd be worried if you had a gas microwave

Cheers,
JTL
lol

My point was, I don't use the gas oven much, I use the microwave oven(and yes, it's a proper oven, I can put metal in it etc, it's one of those microwave/oven/grill things), and also sometimes cook bits of things in the microwave.
I see Ozzieeagle mentions convection. I guess that's what we have...?