Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Garretts a year downunder

The Garretts a year downunder

Old Oct 29th 2004, 6:59 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Garretts a year downunder

October 23rd was our Oz anniversary

Well weve been here just over a year and this is the update on The Garretts Downunder

I got my first job within 2 weeks of arriving in Melbourne. It was on the back of an email I had sent prior to leaving. The job wasn't really going anywhere and the pay was about %50 lower than what we had been on in the UK. I hated the management of the company that I worked for, they were a small company that was growing but the two major share holders could not let go of the business and trust their management. I applied for 2 other jobs 8 months on and I got the 2nd that I went for. At the same time as me getting the new job Hevs went back to the land of the gainfully employed after spending the previous months renovating the house and getting the kids settled. Our household income went up by about 80%.

Some of the people on here accuse people of being to money orientated. I say to them get over it. It does cost a lot to live in Australia even if you have no mortgage. This realisation struck us a few months ago when all our lovely GBP had been invested in our house and we were living on the good old Aussie dollar. Of course some people will not have these difficulties and will come over with more than enough money or take up a career in a well paid niche career but I am sure they will be in a monority. We are not the sort of people governed by money but we are realistic enough to know that to exist in a comfortable way you have to have a certain amount of it. I won't say how much you need as everyone is different but our family of four with a very small mortgage and a house that is in need of some renovation need around $80000 pa to live the life that we want.

Our little girl (10) has settled very well and is enjoying school. She has some good friends and has also joined cubs (As have I as a leader). She is also playing netball for her school. Friends wise she has a mixture of poms and Aussies.

My son (7) has settled in well as well. Most of his friends are Aussies. He has also joined Joey scouts. We knew that he had dsypraxia before coming to Oz and were a little bit apprehensive about how they would deal with it over here. We were very pleased with how the school dealt with him and it was through a referral from the school psychologist that we were able to identify some issues of his dyspraxia that had been previously undetected. He has started a new program which consists of daily exercises (both physical an mental) which are helping him no end.

Hevs has started work at a new salon in the town near where we live. It’s a bit of a shock for her going back to work but she is enjoying it immensly.

I have become qualified as a scuba diver and have been diving a few times (I'll be able to go a few more times now were earning more money )

We are enjoying life here but it is still hard work. I miss my family and friends and this is something that does not really get easier. My mother is coming out in a couple of weeks and my father is coming out in January. I don't really miss many things from the UK. My major gripe is the price and avalability of books. Also PS2 games are a little bit pricey compared to the standard GBP 29.99 at Amazon though weve had it chipped and are buying copies now.

The majority of our friends are poms though the number of Aussie friends are growing.

I can't say 100% that this is where I want to stay but at the moment I am happy and the positives outweigh the negatives. My biggest piece of advice that I would give (You can determine whether you need it or not) is to come to Australia and expect it to be hard work for a good while as you pretty much have to build your life up from scratch. You will have good times, bad times and sad times. Be prepared because it is very very hard work.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:09 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: The Garretts a year downunder

Originally Posted by HUP

Well weve been here just over a year and this is the update on The Garretts Downunder

Fab post, HUP. You are very right about the amount of hard work required to make a life over here - it's very tough dismantling one's life, taking it 12000 miles away, then rebuilding it again to suit the local conditions....!

Am very pleased that things are working out well & that you've both got jobs that you feel comfortable with. Hope you have many more happy years over here, & look forward to catching up with you at the Cardinia Dam meet!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Happy anniversary Hevs and Hup and family!
Seems weird that we've all been here a year doesn't it. Excellent post HUP, echoes many of my own thoughts, like having to build up your life again from scratch.

Hope to see you again in March - we are aiming to come down to melbourne again then. In the meantime, good luck for Year 2
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

A great post Hup. People need to expect things to be tough, after all how many years did it take to get the lives we had back in the UK??

Glad to hear things are on the up for you both and all the best for a great 2nd year.

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Great Post. Glad everything is going well one year on.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:26 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hullo, wondered how you were all getting on!
I miss Hevs DIY posts.....i still chuckle to myself when i see a chainsaw!
hope you all continue to flourish!!

sue
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:30 am
Badge

Nice one HUP.

As someone who knows the couple as well as any on this forum, I'd like to throw in my 2c.

As a casual observer, you guys always seemed to be going good guns and started with a good attitude which you mantained. At the time, I remember how 'lucky' you all seemed to start with.

When I met you that opinion didn't change and you both sorted me out in Melbourne those first few weeks. (Cheers!)

You've always been realistic, and I hope you continue to enjoy Australia and see it as much as a permanent home as I now do. Getting that pay increase really paid the difference.

BM

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:36 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

It really is amazing that it's a year.
Also nearly a year since we got married.
It really feels like a few weeks back!!!
And we're here 3.5 months!

Anyway.... congrats on year 1! Glad to hear everythings going good!
Good luck and enjoy year 2
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:55 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Glad things are settling well for you guys, I still reckon it takes a couple of years to feel really settled.
Its always good to meet up with you nutters, you can guarantee a good laugh with your stories.
Look forward to meeting up soon & Mary says you won't be pinching another Scottish womans steak.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 10:43 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, great post. I like to see a bit of realism.

I can't believe it's been a year either - I remember you and Polly leaving, and Simone getting married. And this time last year Mr B and I were on a plane to Oz for a holiday. Seems like just the other day.....
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HUP

I got my first job within 2 weeks of arriving in Melbourne. It was on the back of an email I had sent prior to leaving. The job wasn't really going anywhere and the pay was about %50 lower than what we had been on in the UK. I hated the management of the company that I worked for, they were a small company that was growing but the two major share holders could not let go of the business and trust their management. I applied for 2 other jobs 8 months on and I got the 2nd that I went for. At the same time as me getting the new job Hevs went back to the land of the gainfully employed after spending the previous months renovating the house and getting the kids settled. Our household income went up by about 80%.

Some of the people on here accuse people of being to money orientated. I say to them get over it. It does cost a lot to live in Australia even if you have no mortgage. This realisation struck us a few months ago when all our lovely GBP had been invested in our house and we were living on the good old Aussie dollar. Of course some people will not have these difficulties and will come over with more than enough money or take up a career in a well paid niche career but I am sure they will be in a monority. We are not the sort of people governed by money but we are realistic enough to know that to exist in a comfortable way you have to have a certain amount of it. I won't say how much you need as everyone is different but our family of four with a very small mortgage and a house that is in need of some renovation need around $80000 pa to live the life that we want.

Our little girl (10) has settled very well and is enjoying school. She has some good friends and has also joined cubs (As have I as a leader). She is also playing netball for her school. Friends wise she has a mixture of poms and Aussies.

My son (7) has settled in well as well. Most of his friends are Aussies. He has also joined Joey scouts. We knew that he had dsypraxia before coming to Oz and were a little bit apprehensive about how they would deal with it over here. We were very pleased with how the school dealt with him and it was through a referral from the school psychologist that we were able to identify some issues of his dyspraxia that had been previously undetected. He has started a new program which consists of daily exercises (both physical an mental) which are helping him no end.

Hevs has started work at a new salon in the town near where we live. It’s a bit of a shock for her going back to work but she is enjoying it immensly.

I have become qualified as a scuba diver and have been diving a few times (I'll be able to go a few more times now were earning more money )

We are enjoying life here but it is still hard work. I miss my family and friends and this is something that does not really get easier. My mother is coming out in a couple of weeks and my father is coming out in January. I don't really miss many things from the UK. My major gripe is the price and avalability of books. Also PS2 games are a little bit pricey compared to the standard GBP 29.99 at Amazon though weve had it chipped and are buying copies now.

The majority of our friends are poms though the number of Aussie friends are growing.

I can't say 100% that this is where I want to stay but at the moment I am happy and the positives outweigh the negatives. My biggest piece of advice that I would give (You can determine whether you need it or not) is to come to Australia and expect it to be hard work for a good while as you pretty much have to build your life up from scratch. You will have good times, bad times and sad times. Be prepared because it is very very hard work.
Hup
what a super post. You have said it all like it should be.

Love to Hevs and the family.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post guys, glad to hear that you are all getting along just fine and are 'keeping it real' ( always picture 'homeboys' wagging their fingers around in a mad 'stylee', when I hear that phrase, but 'ya know what I mean!!!! ).

Good on 'ya and keep it up! Cheers. x
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:58 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Nice post guys, glad to hear that you are all getting along just fine and are 'keeping it real' ( always picture 'homeboys' wagging their fingers around in a mad 'stylee', when I hear that phrase, but 'ya know what I mean!!!! ).

Good on 'ya and keep it up! Cheers. x
Do you mean "The Wiggles" Leigh ??
Old Oct 29th 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Do you mean "The Wiggles" Leigh ??
Erm....Not quite, Bordy - y'know who i'm talking about, those white adolescents, wearing their caps back to front, talking in a strange adopted accent which they think makes them sound like they are from Kingston, Jamaica, when in actual fact, they've never stepped outside Wandsworth nick.

" Don't diss me, man " and all that poo.

How DID we get onto this???!!!!!

SORRY, Hup, for hijacking a perfectly decent thread.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 1:13 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Well i was gonna do a 12 month update but Matt beat me to it, so heres my two penneth!!

Well the time has come to let you all know how its been.

I’ll start with the bad and end on a happy note then I hopefully won’t be accused of being negative, get anyone telling me that I’m lucky to be here so should shut up moaning, or telling me I’m spoiling their fun or putting them off going etc etc.

THINGS I STILL MISS…AND CALL ME SAD IF YOU LIKE BUT I DON’T GIVE A MONKEYS CHUFF!!!

(but not a whinge and not to say that this would get me crying on the first plane outta here!!)
Good old TV drama’s that aren’t either crappy American cop themed or made here in Aus making it “a world premiere� Fish and chips, in a bag with malt vinegar that you don’t have to order first. Holidays abroad, by that I don’t just mean hopping on a plane and travelling for four hours, but knowing that when that four hours is up you will be somewhere “foreign� with a totally different language, culture and outlook. Friends and family.

WHAT I REALLY CAN’T GET USED TO YET………

The burbs, new housing estates with VERY tacky houses on them, the tolls into Melbourne, the way the petrol changes prices ALL of the time, traffic cops and parking attendants, eight legged mo fo’s, mosquitoes, paying out every bloody week for some extra curricular activity, the tax system (if you are moving to escape high tax then don’t bother, really its crap) Frank Walker from National tiles. Aussie TV (and before you start about life style and not watching TV any more, get over it, after a hard day at work, its cold and dark at 5.30, yes really!!! You need to veg, just the same as you would in blighty!!) Supermarkets, they just feel old fashioned and not quite right, can’t explain it but that how I feel (yes, I know its not England, but where’s the Monterey jack for my taco’s mate?? and you have to go to a separate shop for your beer, its just WRONG!!) Playing my old TV through an aussie video, too may remotes not enough patience!! Tupperware parties, enyo parties, fragrance parties, handbag parties all the bloody time!!! (and having to beg people to come to the one you booked in order to help out a mate and hardly anyone coming cos of a head master leaving, end of term, baby sick, dog eating home work etc etc) The “famous people� I don’t know who half of them are when people are talking about sports people etc.

WHAT IS GROWING ON ME

The aussie sense of humour. Aussie radio, I used to find it shocking but now I’m numb to it and I actually lol regularly!!(but the play lists are pathetically small and you hear the same song a hundred times a day!!) The fact that I now use the post office to withdraw cash and pay in my cheques, didn’t used to feel like banking, but I’m over it now and I don’t get charged.

THINGS I LOVE AND WOULD MISS SOOOOO MUCH

THE FOOTIE!!!! Love it love it love it and could never live anywhere else in Aus cos I’m pinning for my Friday night footie already and its only a month ago that it finished (go da Bombers!!)

The excellent school/ approach to school life that my kids have here. The fauna in my backyard. Show bags (especially the free ones with product samples in!!). Tax rebates after submitting a tax return when you have totally over estimated your annual income to the FAO. Beautiful unspoilt country side and parkland and national parks. The fact that I live 45 mins from a vibrant multicultural city that’s clean and pretty and does have some character. I also live 2 hrs from snow fields, 20 mins from beaches and 15 mins to some of the most stunning scenery and national parks here in VIC. Having my bags packed at the supermarket, just cos that’s the way it is, not cos you’re a lazy git asking someone to do it.

URBAN MYTHS THAT JUST HAVN’T HAPPENED……

I haven’t run over a kangaroo yet, or been savaged by a shark when swimming. I haven’t seen an Aborigine with any body paint on yet and I don’t spend everyday on the beach. I have never been called a winging pom by an Aussie!

URBAN MYTHS THAT HAVE HAPPENED

I got bitten by a horrible spider. We get BIG spiders in our house and cars from time to time. We eat barbies very frequently in the warm weather (cos its just to hot to eat inside) We have our beer in a beer fridge outside by the Barbie and have stubby holders too. Everyone calls me mate even though I’ve never met them before!!

THINGS THAT I HAVE LEARNT ABOUT MY NEW HOME

The aussie people are fab, helpful, friendly, kind on the whole. There is a real sense of community (where we live) and a lot of stuff going on at the weekends for families and kids. An Aussie accent is in no way similar to a kiwi one!

THINGS I HAVE LEARNT ABOUT MYSELF

I am crap at looking after a swimming pool. I can sand floors, lay slate, make steps use a chain saw and DIY like the rest of them. I am NOT ready to be a lady of leisure, that part of the dream was a nightmare, homesickness was a terrible feeling, especially not know WTF it was I was missing!! Getting a job and socialising was the key and I’ve never looked back.

So that’s it, a brief rundown of the last 12 months. After the honey moon period wore off and we’d moved in I felt bereft, but didn’t know why. I felt negative and quite frankly pissed off most of the time and all of “the firsts� (birthdays Christmas etc) felt horrible.

Anyone making the move should be aware that phone calls and e mails ARE NOT the same. Australia IS NOT a bigger brighter less troubled UK and that ALL the problems you have there we have here. The cost of living IMO is not massively cheaper and once your UK equity is spent, your Aussie dollar will not seem to go as far as you GBP. For those of you thinking that I’m materialistic, well LOL at you. Those of you that have seen my building site so know that is not true, but its tough to take a drop in salary when the same bills that you have in the UK still come through the door at an alarming pace.

Whilst Aus is not Utopia, it is a great place. I am so glad to have the opportunity to bring my kids up in a cleaner, healthier bright and optimistic country that is Australia, I just hope that we can afford to leave these beautiful shores so that they get to see some of the rest of the world that is no longer a stones throw away.

We are madly re organising the house for the 1st set of rellies impending arrival and whilst on the one hand I am greatly looking forward to it, another part of me is crapping myself, cos in two short weeks they will leave. This is one of those “firsts� I was talking about and they are scary cos like everybloodything else about this last 12 months, its new and unknown.

Some words of wisdom from an “oldie� on here. ……Everybody has there own dreams and aspirations, strengths and weaknesses. NEVER underestimate the plethora of emotions that this first 12 months will hold and try if you can to think about that when someone posts a “negative� thread, next time it might be YOU!!

PS….. Thanks to my mates on here, you know who you are, thanks for ALL of your support and more importantly, parcels over the last year. Hxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.