Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

gardeners question time

gardeners question time

Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

wesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nice
Default gardeners question time

Just about to send of my tra form as a general gardener, and just have a couple of questions for any gardeners in perth who can help.

can any one explain what a whipper snipper is ? i can only think its a different name for a strimmer. also as a gardener in perth how hard is it to dispose of green waste.

last of all, as a gardener in perth are there many insects to whatch out for.

many thanks

wesley
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:00 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gardeners question time

Originally Posted by wesleyandjoanne
Just about to send of my tra form as a general gardener, and just have a couple of questions for any gardeners in perth who can help.

can any one explain what a whipper snipper is ? i can only think its a different name for a strimmer. also as a gardener in perth how hard is it to dispose of green waste.

many thanks

wesley
whipper snipper is a strimmer.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:07 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wesleyandjoanne

many thanks

wesley
You need to watch out for snakes and spiders. Most spider bites happen in the garden and are the result of not wearing good gardening gloves.
Snakes are a protected species and you are not allowed to kill them if you come across them in a garden but you have to be careful of them... just gen up a bit on what to do if you meet one.
Those are the only two things you would need to be careful about. You'll find lots of nice lizards in your gardening too, which are obviously not harmful and are rather beautiful to look at.

I can't help you with the green waste ...
I suggest you google green waste Perth and have a look at some council web sites, such as this one I located.

Google is your friend.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

wesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nice

thanks for the info.

are snakes really common in the garden? how dangerous are spider bites/snake bites for adults and kids? how safe is it for kids to play in the garden or parks.

thanks

wesley
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wesley... I think you really need to do a little research on spider bites in Aus because otherwise I'm just telling you stuff you can find out for yourself really easily.

Try a google for 'spider bites Australia' ... I've put one link here for you to look at.

http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/spiders.html

You really need to find this stuff out for yourself to be honest, mate. You are coming to live her after all and you really need to be aware of the environment of the country you're moving to, rather than take it all on the say so of some mad woman on a forum somewhere.

Happy googling.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

thanks