Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

garden is not a garden!!!

garden is not a garden!!!

Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

lucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant future
Default garden is not a garden!!!

Did you know that a garden in oz is not a normal garden like in the uk??

I was at a induction day and our group had to tell a story involving the word garden (i know!!) and i said for my part - "the man rolls off the train and into a garden and bumps his head on a tree and knocks himself unconscious"! (as you can see I probably wont be writing my first novel) and the ozzie girls said no theres no trees in gardens?! ugh! it will have to be a suburban garden!

Anyway spoke to oz partner on the evening to find out more and he said that they call a garden a back yard - and a garden is just a garden with little flowers and stuff in it - so there you have it - just in case you ever have to tell a story about a garden!!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: garden is not a garden!!!

Originally Posted by lucyloo

I was at a induction day and our group had to tell a story involving the word garden (i know!!) and i said for my part - "the man rolls off the train and into a garden and bumps his head on a tree and knocks himself unconscious"! (as you can see I probably wont be writing my first novel) and the ozzie girls said no theres no trees in gardens?! ugh! it will have to be a suburban garden!

Anyway spoke to oz partner on the evening to find out more and he said that they call a garden a back yard - and a garden is just a garden with little flowers and stuff in it - so there you have it - just in case you ever have to tell a story about a garden!!

Yes I am married to an antipodean too and when I lived downunder I was frequently laughed at for similar statements................
Old Oct 21st 2005, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes I am married to an antipodean too and when I lived downunder I was frequently laughed at for similar statements................

.. and yet I find "back yard" difficult to apply to "back garden" as it brings to mind an image of a flat piece of concrete.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyloo

Next time tell her she is a wanker!

Gardens have stuff growing in them. Sometimes trees, sometimes not. Go to Perth and you will find that they generally don't gow fruit trees in their gardens. In other states they do. But then, that too seems to be a generational thing.

Being dogmatic or generalising about aspects of society does leave a lot of people wondering what planet they've hopped onto.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:15 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

so why is the 'Royal Botanic Gardens' in Sydney called a garden, when there are plenty of trees there?

Should it be called Royal Botanic Backyard?

Or is it garden = backyard and park = garden?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:32 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu

Gardens have stuff growing in them. Sometimes trees, sometimes not. Go to Perth and you will find that they generally don't gow fruit trees in their gardens. In other states they do. But then, that too seems to be a generational thing.

Being dogmatic or generalising about aspects of society does leave a lot of people wondering what planet they've hopped onto.
Being picky here but I'm in Perth and have orange, tangerine, lemon, lime, locquot, peach, mango, fig and avocado trees in my "garden" (backyard) also 8 grape vines and an olive tree, and certainly in my suburb I'm not unusual. Most of the neighbours have as a minimum 4 or 5 fruit trees. (one of the neighbours has a couple of banana trees which are my next challenge)

And being even more picky, its not a generational thing cos the banana growing neighbours are in their early 20's !

Mairi
aka "Charlie Dimmock"
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:43 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Being picky here but I'm in Perth and have orange, tangerine, lemon, lime, locquot, peach, mango, fig and avocado trees in my "garden" (backyard) also 8 grape vines and an olive tree, and certainly in my suburb I'm not unusual. Most of the neighbours have as a minimum 4 or 5 fruit trees. (one of the neighbours has a couple of banana trees which are my next challenge)

And being even more picky, its not a generational thing cos the banana growing neighbours are in their early 20's !

Mairi
aka "Charlie Dimmock"
I am soooo envious, Mairi...bet you don't have to buy much fruit!

Sue
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Mairi
aka "Charlie Dimmock"

I would just love a mango tree, lime tree (use lots of them), figs I love fresh figs, avocado tree and most importantly an Olive tree as I eat them by the ton. You are very lucky, are they difficult to look after - treatments etc...
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:59 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I am soooo envious, Mairi...bet you don't have to buy much fruit!

Sue
The lemon tree is on steroids I've hacked it back by 3/4 and still I cant use all the lemons. Still have 12 litres of homemade lemonade to drink and the bloody thing is pumping lemons out by the dozen The locquots, avocados and peaches are a few weeks away from being fully ready but early results look like they're on steroids also. The Orange and tangerine trees are into their second fruiting of the year (Yum - fresh juice for brekkie - theres nothing like it) and the fig is looking promising. The 3 mango trees look like they are also on steroids and I need to learn how to make homemade wine cos the grapevines are going crazy.

And dont let me get started on the veggie garden

Anybody that says Perths sandy soil is no good hasnt seen my garden.

Fruit anyone ?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:03 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by DebraH
I would just love a mango tree, lime tree (use lots of them), figs I love fresh figs, avocado tree and most importantly an Olive tree as I eat them by the ton. You are very lucky, are they difficult to look after - treatments etc...
Just planted the Olive tree this year so too soon to tell but according to one of the neighbours in about 3 years time I should start to have a reasonable crop. According to him (neighbour) they are "too easy"
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

The lemon tree is on steroids I've hacked it back by 3/4 and still I cant use all the lemons. Still have 12 litres of homemade lemonade to drink and the bloody thing is pumping lemons out by the dozen The locquots, avocados and peaches are a few weeks away from being fully ready but early results look like they're on steroids also. The Orange and tangerine trees are into their second fruiting of the year (Yum - fresh juice for brekkie - theres nothing like it) and the fig is looking promising. The 3 mango trees look like they are also on steroids and I need to learn how to make homemade wine cos the grapevines are going crazy.

And dont let me get started on the veggie garden

Anybody that says Perths sandy soil is no good hasnt seen my garden.

Fruit anyone ?
"The locquots" - can you tell me what these are please - do you find that gardening is different now? is it harder/easier?
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Mairi
aka "Charlie Dimmock"
Be as picky as you like

As with most others on this List I can only relate my own experience. In my approx 5+ years living in the northern suburbs and visiting lots of people, I didn't see one fruit tree growing in their yards and when I asked all my workmates in the various places very few had any fruit trees. That's not to say that lots of people don't have fruit trees in their gardens.

I also found that the younger people I worked with didn't grow or even contemplate growing fruit trees.

Also have another read of what I wrote (grammar ??) I didn't exclude everyone
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 5:15 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu

I think what lucy was referring to is the fact that Aussies refer to the area out the back of their house as their backyard, not their garden. To an aussie, a "garden" is a gardenbed where you plant flowers/veges etc. If you asked an aussie to go & stand in their back garden you would probably find them standing in the backyard in the middle of the flower bed.

Similarly, Aussies refer to their living room as their lounge. The room is called a lounge, as well as the piece of furniture that you sit on while you are in that room watching TV.

BTW, I dont think calling someone a wanker for pointing out differences in language is a good way to make friends & influence people .....
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I think what lucy was referring to is the fact that Aussies refer to the area out the back of their house as their backyard, not their garden. To an aussie, a "garden" is a gardenbed where you plant flowers/veges etc. If you asked an aussie to go & stand in their back garden you would probably find them standing in the backyard in the middle of the flower bed.

Similarly, Aussies refer to their living room as their lounge. The room is called a lounge, as well as the piece of furniture that you sit on while you are in that room watching TV.

BTW, I dont think calling someone a wanker for pointing out differences in language is a good way to make friends & influence people .....
As stated "...and the ozzie girls said no theres no trees in gardens?! ugh! it will have to be a suburban garden!"

As said ozzie girl apparently doesn't know a hatstand from her harseole, I wouldn't be going out of my way to either make friends or influence her. Let her pursue her life of utter ignorant bliss
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Roofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the roughRoofman is a jewel in the rough

Why do aussie gardens have tin sheds and fences??

Just wondered!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.