Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Gap - Brisbane

The Gap - Brisbane

Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Gap - Brisbane

Anyone got any opinions and thoughts on this area and maybe the surrounding burbs.

Added to our maybe list today on the recommendation of an aussie friend.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Gap - Brisbane

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Anyone got any opinions and thoughts on this area and maybe the surrounding burbs.

The Gap is really really nice, but (as always) it gets very very hot in summer. I posted a comparison between Arana Hills & Cleveland's temps for December a couple of weeks back - it shocked even me :scared: . If you are coming in summer then you will probably be aware of it, but if you come in winter you may not realise until its too late . It has lovely mainly established housing, good schools & a pleasant leafy outlook. Most of it is quite hilly though, so be aware of that. The main road into the CBD is a shocker & has attocious traffic, they have recently done work to it, but IMO nowhere near enough to compensate for the amount of traffic.

Something else to factor in (especially for brits who seem to be obsessed by it) is how much longer it will add to a trip to the coast. Someone who moved to Kemore (similar general area) used to complain that it took them 2 hrs to get to the beach, compared with the 30-45 mins that you may travel from the southern or bayside suburbs.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I was thinking that summer would be rather hot inland as far as that, I think I may have a look at Bayside.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:22 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the Gap and the surrounding areas....but could never afford the type of house we wanted there.

As Mrs D said it seems a very pleasent leafy suburb not to far from the CBD. Dont be to worried about the temps as I probably live a little further west (or at least that far) and I have had the air con on once this summer up to yet.

In my book its certainly worth a second look.

TT

Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

The gap is a real nice area my girlfriend is from the gap and Keperra which is about 5 mins away and we have a mate who just bought a place there.

yeah it gets hot but it is oz were talking about here. if you don't want hot move to the south of oz.

I would live in the gap if it were just a bit closer to the coast, tis about 1 1/2 hours to the gold coast but the sunshine coast is closer. got good schools there also.
its a nice respectable area and not to far from brissy.
rent there first and decide, its what we intend to do.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:21 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pickle
The gap is a real nice area my girlfriend is from the gap and
I would live in the gap if it were just a bit closer to the coast, tis about 1 1/2 hours to the gold coast but the sunshine coast is closer. got good schools there also.
its a nice respectable area and not to far from brissy.
rent there first and decide, its what we intend to do.
The planned western bypass is going to go somewhere near the Gap. Not through it if the Gap residents have their way, and then it will be a much shorter journey to the Sunshine Coast, which IMO is far nicer than the Gold Coast.

Another thing to consider is bush fires. The Gap seems to be far more prone to them than other areas of Brisbane, at least recently.

Jane
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Thanks for that, I was thinking that summer would be rather hot inland as far as that, I think I may have a look at Bayside.
Yep, nice and cool over here (well, in comparison )

Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:57 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim

Another thing to consider is bush fires. The Gap seems to be far more prone to them than other areas of Brisbane, at least recently.

Jane
I did forget to mention the bushfire threat which seems to be worst from the Gap up through to Samford area.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

blaaaaa bushfire.

don't be scared of fire in the gap its not bad at all. i know people who've lived there years and they have never been burnt by a bleedin' bushfire.

tis safe as anyplace.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Have a look at :

Stormchasing.com.au Forum Index -> Wild Fire Weather

PS: that site mentioned "Current stats has temps ranging from mid 30's to low 40's across SE QLD "

Cleveland had a max of 30 on that day

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jan 18th 2006 at 12:29 am.